Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? 20:34 - Mar 18 with 2458 viewsBrixtonBlue

Amongst the horror, which is sure to get worse (top science fella saying 20,000 deaths in the UK would be a good outcome!) there are some lovely bits of dark humour popping up. I cracked up earlier when the woman reading the news coughed and said, "Don't worry, it's not prolonged, I haven't got a fever... sometimes it's a bit dusty in here," and just now a cheery woman at the front of the queue in the Co-op asking for 400 cigarettes and saying to her friend, "See you later, hope you don't die in the apocalypse."

I love the online choirs and the people singing on their balconies in Italy. And the chef making meals for free for his local community after work. And the gin brewery turning its hand to hand sanitiser.

Worryingly I think Boris is doing a good job. We really need Bruce Willis in that role. And Jeff Goldblum as the top science fella.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:42 - Mar 18 with 2397 viewsbluelagos

It does feel quite surreal, like a horror movie but with no hero trying to save us all.

Agree ref the good nature of some shining through, though the slowness of institutions to adapt is typically slow. Supermarkets prioritising OAPs is welcome but wtf does it take so long, same with rationing a few in demand goods.

Govt seems to be moving on testing for health workers but again wtf does it take a series of petitions from the public for them to move on this? Surely the crisis means such decisions need to be made far quicker?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:43 - Mar 18 with 2394 viewsLord_Lucan

You know what, I've been boring some friends, colleagues and family for a while now about the implications of what is essentially going to happen but I don't think anyone really acknowledged it until about a week ago.

Last week when I was shopping I was walking back to my car and I couldn't help but notice that everyone was just getting on with things as if nothing really is going to happen anyway. I said to Lady Lucan at the time that it seems like the start of a disaster movie where the beginning is a normal day and this time next week we will all have blood coming out of our ears.

On a positive note - I really don't think we will get hit like Italy (or how Spain may get it) and despite some government advice that it might go on until next Spring I think it will be pretty much done and dusted by the start of June.

I only hope I'm right. Feel free to bookmark this and call me a tvvat if I'm still alive then.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:44 - Mar 18 with 2368 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

It,s very strange mate. I,m being increasingly aware to socially distance and just a little while ago politely ased a chap to back off in the supermarket queue.
As you say, the dark humour is mostly amusing.
There are going to be some interesting recipes being served up in our house soon too. A big decision on whether to have red leicester or cheddar with the tinned tomatoes.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:50 - Mar 18 with 2337 viewsNewcyBlue

I went to Asda to get some bread flour. None there. In fact not much of anything substantial was there.

I walked around for a bit. I couldn’t help but feel a bit saddened by it all.

Watching people with trolleys full of stuff stocking up, whilst there will be elderly people or single parents unable to get there for one reason or another.

The leisure centres and libraries are closing. Until further notice.

We are going to need each other now more than ever.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:54 - Mar 18 with 2316 viewsSpruceMoose

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:50 - Mar 18 by NewcyBlue

I went to Asda to get some bread flour. None there. In fact not much of anything substantial was there.

I walked around for a bit. I couldn’t help but feel a bit saddened by it all.

Watching people with trolleys full of stuff stocking up, whilst there will be elderly people or single parents unable to get there for one reason or another.

The leisure centres and libraries are closing. Until further notice.

We are going to need each other now more than ever.

"We are going to need each other now more than ever."

I know you couldn't get bread flour Newcy but I don't think you should consider resorting to cannibalism just yet!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 21:06 - Mar 18 with 2273 viewsNewcyBlue

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 20:54 - Mar 18 by SpruceMoose

"We are going to need each other now more than ever."

I know you couldn't get bread flour Newcy but I don't think you should consider resorting to cannibalism just yet!

I bet moose tastes real good

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 21:24 - Mar 18 with 2225 viewsSpruceMoose

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 21:06 - Mar 18 by NewcyBlue

I bet moose tastes real good

Once you pick all the ticks off!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 21:57 - Mar 18 with 2142 viewsFtnfwest

If Jeff Goldblum was the science bloke he’d be announcing 100,000 deaths with an evil snigger in a ‘100,000 deaths, what does that even mean?’ sort of way. What about Hugh Grant as PM in a love actually sort of way?
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:12 - Mar 18 with 2093 viewsOldsmoker

I hope I'm not the guy in this disaster movie that everyone wonders "What's his backstory? What's his role in this film?" only to find out 2 scenes later that he's the first one to die.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:16 - Mar 18 with 2084 viewsBlueBadger

It's alright for you lot, you're just crowd-scene extras. I think I get to be the not-at-all-irritating comedy relief character who dies horribly trying to the the right thing in the second act.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:19 - Mar 18 with 2079 viewsNewcyBlue

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:16 - Mar 18 by BlueBadger

It's alright for you lot, you're just crowd-scene extras. I think I get to be the not-at-all-irritating comedy relief character who dies horribly trying to the the right thing in the second act.

MrsN is not at work at the minute. We’ve too much at stake for her to take risks.

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:34 - Mar 18 with 2043 viewsDeano69

Said much the same the other day

Anyone else feels like they are an extra in a movie? by Deano69 15 Mar 2020 16:21
You know, the pending Alien Invasion or Armageddon sort of thing

Such a weird atmosphere at the moment.

It’s beginning to feel like I’m Truman, off the Truman Show. Surely it can’t be real.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 03:06 - Mar 19 with 1899 viewstextbackup

on dark humour, two things I got sent yesterday made me literally snot out of my nose with laughter....

"i went to Tesco earlier to get dinner, we have ink cartridge and light bulb stew, yummy"

and the other was the audio of the lad saying his bosses son is at NASA and the government will allow aliens to zap the infected with rayguns....

in 10 years ill look back and not even remotely laugh, but stuck in this moment, it done me

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 07:16 - Mar 19 with 1779 viewsThe_Major

Yep. It's that sort of reality disconnect that I haven't felt since 9/11. And even now if I see any footage of that my first thought is "Hang on, did that really happen?"
Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 15:08 - Mar 19 with 1653 viewsBlueBadger

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:19 - Mar 18 by NewcyBlue

MrsN is not at work at the minute. We’ve too much at stake for her to take risks.

Eminently sensible. I appear to have come down with the head cold that The Lad had last week. Feeling pretty rough at the moment but will probably be feeling like a fraud come Monday. Plan at the is if that happens is to phone in and volunteer for work-from-home audit work.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 15:49 - Mar 19 with 1607 viewseireblue

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 22:34 - Mar 18 by Deano69

Said much the same the other day

Anyone else feels like they are an extra in a movie? by Deano69 15 Mar 2020 16:21
You know, the pending Alien Invasion or Armageddon sort of thing

Such a weird atmosphere at the moment.

It’s beginning to feel like I’m Truman, off the Truman Show. Surely it can’t be real.

Well, at least your question is now answered.

That should be some comfort.

Memo to Reality Adjustment Team:
Guys, Deano69, is starting to wake, do we need a change in story, or up the meds?
Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 17:01 - Mar 19 with 1548 viewsDeano69

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 15:49 - Mar 19 by eireblue

Well, at least your question is now answered.

That should be some comfort.

Memo to Reality Adjustment Team:
Guys, Deano69, is starting to wake, do we need a change in story, or up the meds?

This has been the craziest working week ever. Which spans 35 years. Thats without the ridiculous stuff going on outside work at the moment too.....

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Does anyone else feel like they're an extra in a disaster movie? on 17:42 - Mar 19 with 1519 viewsElephantintheRoom

I learned today from talking to a brother who is, shall we say a hospital doctor in Tasmania, that they are preparing not to treat the over 65's with anything other than oxygen, because they can only save the under 65's according to projections on their exponential curve.

They have already quaritined the entire state. They have more hosptial beds per person than the UK

Makes you thinbk

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024