Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing 07:42 - Mar 19 with 1437 viewshomer_123

(it's you Londoners fault! ;) )

Seriously though, MoD have confirmed additional troops on stand by (around 20,000) to help the Civil Authorities.

It's been clear for a while now that our trajectory is no different to that of China and Italy - all we have been doing is pushing the timing back as much as possible.

I would expect us to be in lock down by Monday, if not earlier.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 07:52 - Mar 19 with 1398 viewsSteve_M

The odd thing about that is that, given the infection time is a few days, then the request to reduce contact at the start of the week hasn't had time to filter through yet. The lack of testing in that regard remains odd.

London's already really quiet, been out for a walk before working from home and very few people around.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 07:57 - Mar 19 with 1384 viewshomer_123

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 07:52 - Mar 19 by Steve_M

The odd thing about that is that, given the infection time is a few days, then the request to reduce contact at the start of the week hasn't had time to filter through yet. The lack of testing in that regard remains odd.

London's already really quiet, been out for a walk before working from home and very few people around.

Interesting Steve - I've had conflicting reports - people I know who commute are now all, pretty much working from home - which will, now have a huge impact. Many of those are only doing so for the first time today/ tomorrow.

A couple of other friends in North London have been out and about in pubs, shared pics of pubs busy (not as busy as usual) and lots of people clearly not following the advice.

Seems contradictory. Given the ramp up in troops on stand by and Boris's comments when questioned last night - it's clearly heading that way.

As you say - timing wise feels odd but I think we'll see a continuation of a big measure or two each and every day going forward.

Testing, is that not down to a lack of tests more than anything?

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:08 - Mar 19 with 1371 viewsSWGF

Was listening to BBC Suffolk yesterday and they were in Aldeburgh, talking to locals who were commenting on the increase of the population due to the "second homers" coming up from London. Could that see a movement in the virus?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:14 - Mar 19 with 1345 viewsHerbivore

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 07:57 - Mar 19 by homer_123

Interesting Steve - I've had conflicting reports - people I know who commute are now all, pretty much working from home - which will, now have a huge impact. Many of those are only doing so for the first time today/ tomorrow.

A couple of other friends in North London have been out and about in pubs, shared pics of pubs busy (not as busy as usual) and lots of people clearly not following the advice.

Seems contradictory. Given the ramp up in troops on stand by and Boris's comments when questioned last night - it's clearly heading that way.

As you say - timing wise feels odd but I think we'll see a continuation of a big measure or two each and every day going forward.

I think he means testing whether the measures introduced on Monday are actually working. You'd need to give it a week or two to see, not 4 or 5 days.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:14 - Mar 19 with 1339 viewsgiant_stow

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:08 - Mar 19 by SWGF

Was listening to BBC Suffolk yesterday and they were in Aldeburgh, talking to locals who were commenting on the increase of the population due to the "second homers" coming up from London. Could that see a movement in the virus?

I have friends who may be 'escaping' to near saxmundum today fron london. I understand why and in a eay dont blame them, but it also seems very irresponsible if they bring something up with them.

They're partly going ri isolate *with * their folks. Nice idea socially but theyll have to be so careful not to bring anything into the shared home.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:19 - Mar 19 with 1314 viewsSteve_M

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 07:57 - Mar 19 by homer_123

I went down to Oxford Circus yesterday lunchtime, it was really quiet. There are obviously still people about but well below normal, a big change even from Monday.

A load of the pubs in Camden were shut as I walked through yesterday, not checked the ones in Kentish Town I usually go to yet.

It just all gives the impression of a government not really in control. The continued briefing of potential measures to a handful of journalists is infuriating in normal times, it's irresponsible at the moment. Stories about lock downs are only going to increase panic buying enormously.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:24 - Mar 19 with 1302 viewsHerbivore

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:19 - Mar 19 by Steve_M

I went down to Oxford Circus yesterday lunchtime, it was really quiet. There are obviously still people about but well below normal, a big change even from Monday.

A load of the pubs in Camden were shut as I walked through yesterday, not checked the ones in Kentish Town I usually go to yet.

It just all gives the impression of a government not really in control. The continued briefing of potential measures to a handful of journalists is infuriating in normal times, it's irresponsible at the moment. Stories about lock downs are only going to increase panic buying enormously.

Yep, the language of lockdown is really unhelpful and is fuelling a lot of the barmy behaviour people are exhibiting around hoarding groceries and sodding up the food supply for the rest of us. Even in Italy and Spain, where the lockdown is extreme, people are allowed out to do food shopping.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:28 - Mar 19 with 1283 viewshomer_123

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:14 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

I think he means testing whether the measures introduced on Monday are actually working. You'd need to give it a week or two to see, not 4 or 5 days.

Unless, of course, they know that the measures introduced Monday were only ever going to have a negligible effect? Not saying it's a conspiracy but more that it was always a planned/ phased roll out with a clear end game from the start.

Login to get fewer ads

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:29 - Mar 19 with 1282 viewsmonytowbray

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:19 - Mar 19 by Steve_M

Announcing the new army measures at 11pm from no where and having them out mobilising in the cover of darkness isn’t going to do much for the calmness either.

The army were on stand by but nothing about this yesterday in the press. In fact a London lock down wasn’t mentioned until someone asked.

Are they now just crowdsourcing what to do next from the press? I can’t say I’m yet convinced by how this whole thing is being handled.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:31 - Mar 19 with 1277 viewsHerbivore

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:28 - Mar 19 by homer_123

Unless, of course, they know that the measures introduced Monday were only ever going to have a negligible effect? Not saying it's a conspiracy but more that it was always a planned/ phased roll out with a clear end game from the start.

Maybe, but then why introduce them and let things deterirorare for another 4 or 5 days? I don't think it makes much sense.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:40 - Mar 19 with 1251 viewsStokieBlue

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 07:52 - Mar 19 by Steve_M

It's not as quiet as I expected. Out cycling a few times recently and people are still in pubs and meeting up. They explicitly said a lot of Londoners aren't complying which is bizarre to me.

Perhaps it's area specific. It's not as busy as it usually is though of course.

I think they might lockdown just London and not the rest of the country given 30% of cases are here.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:43 - Mar 19 with 1242 viewsgordon

Was extraordinary that less than a week ago Matt Hancock was announcing policy in Daily Telegraph articles, as if these were normal times...
So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:44 - Mar 19 with 1238 viewsDanTheMan

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:43 - Mar 19 by gordon

Was extraordinary that less than a week ago Matt Hancock was announcing policy in Daily Telegraph articles, as if these were normal times...

Behind a paywall as well, which is both sad and funny.

It was later removed.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:44 - Mar 19 with 1238 viewsgordon

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:28 - Mar 19 by homer_123

There's nothing to be gained by leaving things kind of open for another week or two - the consequences will be dreadful.
So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:54 - Mar 19 with 1218 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah, you need to open the tweet to see the picture properly. Shows a packed tube station yesterday.

There's undoubtedly an issue with people not being able to afford to stay at home. That will only be part of the issue though; the mixed messaging so far wil have had an impact and also people will be slow to adjust to staying in. I suspect things will improve substantially over the rest of this week as people adjust, but they do need to do more to protect incomes so people don't have to choose between putting food on the table and adhering to the Covid-19 advice.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 8:58]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:55 - Mar 19 with 1206 viewsSteve_M

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:14 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

Actually it was on testing for the illness but it works well for both.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:56 - Mar 19 with 1202 viewsgiant_stow

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:54 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

Ah, you need to open the tweet to see the picture properly. Shows a packed tube station yesterday.

There's undoubtedly an issue with people not being able to afford to stay at home. That will only be part of the issue though; the mixed messaging so far wil have had an impact and also people will be slow to adjust to staying in. I suspect things will improve substantially over the rest of this week as people adjust, but they do need to do more to protect incomes so people don't have to choose between putting food on the table and adhering to the Covid-19 advice.

fck me.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:27 - Mar 19 with 1106 viewsBloomBlue

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 08:54 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

But the South Korea Gov asked people to stay in and they did, they didn't have to force them. I see Belgium are having a similar situation to the UK as did Spain when the Gov's asked people to stay in they haven't. Why do European countries have to enforce people staying in but countries like South Korea & Singapore only have to ask?

Maybe given London has a massive work force that travels in including those in critical roles a lot of those on the station are in critical roles?
So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:38 - Mar 19 with 1079 viewsSwansea_Blue

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:27 - Mar 19 by BloomBlue

But the South Korea Gov asked people to stay in and they did, they didn't have to force them. I see Belgium are having a similar situation to the UK as did Spain when the Gov's asked people to stay in they haven't. Why do European countries have to enforce people staying in but countries like South Korea & Singapore only have to ask?

Maybe given London has a massive work force that travels in including those in critical roles a lot of those on the station are in critical roles?

I can understand SK & Singapore, they're pretty disciplined as a rule. There were some pictures in that thread of Denmark and it was a ghost town (assuming pics are genuine from now). Yeah interesting how different people respond.

Some people here might need shocking into action? Once the virus gets closer to home I suspect we'll see a change in behaviour.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:48 - Mar 19 with 1051 viewsPinewoodblue

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:38 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

I can understand SK & Singapore, they're pretty disciplined as a rule. There were some pictures in that thread of Denmark and it was a ghost town (assuming pics are genuine from now). Yeah interesting how different people respond.

Some people here might need shocking into action? Once the virus gets closer to home I suspect we'll see a change in behaviour.

The situation in Denmark is far worse, at this time, than it is in U.K. when you look at the number of cases in a country you need to take into consideration the size of the population.

If know a couple who live in Suffolk, having moved back here from Northern France a couple of months ago. They are currently in Tenerife and stuck there. They booked their flights with Ryanair begotten they decided to move back to U.K. They flew out from Belgium. All flight there are cancelled and they are having problems finding to flight to U.K. as flights are full with those who have rescheduled later flights.

Even if they manage to get a flight their car is in Belgium.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:52 - Mar 19 with 1033 viewsSwansea_Blue

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:48 - Mar 19 by Pinewoodblue

The situation in Denmark is far worse, at this time, than it is in U.K. when you look at the number of cases in a country you need to take into consideration the size of the population.

If know a couple who live in Suffolk, having moved back here from Northern France a couple of months ago. They are currently in Tenerife and stuck there. They booked their flights with Ryanair begotten they decided to move back to U.K. They flew out from Belgium. All flight there are cancelled and they are having problems finding to flight to U.K. as flights are full with those who have rescheduled later flights.

Even if they manage to get a flight their car is in Belgium.

I suspect the responses in different countries do show where they're at in the cycle.

Sounds good being stuck in Tenerife! But in reality it probably isn't. We've got a problem in Wales of people booking up all the holiday homes to self-isolate. Causing a bit of a stir in those communities worried about people bringing in the virus.

So, Boris confirmed that measures will be taken to enforce self-distancing on 11:53 - Mar 19 with 1029 viewsStokieBlue

Some people are respecting personal distance as well:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B96cSs5nU4U/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024