Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? 09:53 - Mar 19 with 11415 viewsSwailsey

In terms of food etc.

A month? 2 months?

Hard to balance feeling like I need to be prepared and not wanting to take on unnecessary hoards at the detriment of others.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 09:55 - Mar 19 with 5995 viewsDanTheMan

Couple of weeks I reckon.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 09:58 - Mar 19 with 5964 viewsHerbivore

You will still be able to get food.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 09:59 - Mar 19 with 5959 viewsKieran_Knows

I reckon we'd stretch out a couple of weeks. Trouble is, me and the missus barely stock anything as it is anyway as we do a weekly shop,but I'm finding it hard not too pick up a couple of extra bits if this does all go tits up.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:02 - Mar 19 with 5940 viewsSwailsey

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 09:58 - Mar 19 by Herbivore

You will still be able to get food.

But will you though?

As someone alluded to on the other thread, if people are panic buying and hoarding, it does make "normal" people suddenly panic too.

Don't get me wrong, my version of stockpiling (bearing in mind it's for me and my partner) is 4 pizzas, 15 toilet rolls (we would usually get a 10 pack anyway) and a few dry essentials - porridge oats, mugshots etc, so I don't think I'm going particularly OTT, but unless there are actual laws on this, surely people will keep hoarding leading to everyone eventually doing it?

How long can people take the moral high ground (understandably) before they realise that "actually, sh*t, I can't buy anything at all".

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:04 - Mar 19 with 5922 viewstractorboy1978

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:02 - Mar 19 by Swailsey

But will you though?

As someone alluded to on the other thread, if people are panic buying and hoarding, it does make "normal" people suddenly panic too.

Don't get me wrong, my version of stockpiling (bearing in mind it's for me and my partner) is 4 pizzas, 15 toilet rolls (we would usually get a 10 pack anyway) and a few dry essentials - porridge oats, mugshots etc, so I don't think I'm going particularly OTT, but unless there are actual laws on this, surely people will keep hoarding leading to everyone eventually doing it?

How long can people take the moral high ground (understandably) before they realise that "actually, sh*t, I can't buy anything at all".

They will limit people even further on what they can buy. If it comes to rationing then that is what will happen.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:05 - Mar 19 with 5918 viewsGuthrum

But will you though?

They will introduce formal rationing if this continues*. Plus in lockdown, the panic-buyers will not be able to get to the shops.

* At some point they're going to run out of money to panic buy with, plus space to put the stuff.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:06 - Mar 19 with 5914 viewsfooters

But will you though?

But aside from the idiots hoarding and panic buying, "normal" people getting more than they would do is only going to make matters worse.

I'm just planning a few days ahead for fresh stuff and making use of my cupboards. Probably got enough for a couple of weeks. Which probably gives me enough time to think of a palatable pasta and mushy peas recipe.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:06 - Mar 19 with 5908 viewsJ2BLUE

Probably at least a month. That's not stuff i've panic bought since this broke out either. It's the collection of beans, pastas, cereals etc i've collected over the years when buying stuff without really thinking combined with the endless meal replacement and protein bars from failed diets etc.

My missing piece is paracetamol. Both parents were told to take it daily just before all this kicked off for various pains. Going to have to go out today and find some even though i'd really rather not to be honest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:08 - Mar 19 with 5896 viewsN2_Blue

you do realise a lock down doesn't mean you can't leave the house for essentials.

The government really needs to communicate this quickly because so many people seem to thing they need months worth of supplies and are panicking.

Lockdown does not mean you cannot go outside to shop or exercise. It means no unnecessary excursions and no social interactions where avoidable. This is already advised but hasn't been made compulsory yet. A lockdown will make it compulsory and shut all non-essential services

This is the same for all countires that have implemented their lockdowns

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:08 - Mar 19 with 5897 viewsGuthrum

Probably well over a month. Even in normal times I try to keep a stock of dried and tinned stuff in the house, in case of sudden skintness and because, until a few weeks ago, I had very little fridge/freezer space.

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:09 - Mar 19 with 5882 viewsHarry_Palmer

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:05 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

They will introduce formal rationing if this continues*. Plus in lockdown, the panic-buyers will not be able to get to the shops.

* At some point they're going to run out of money to panic buy with, plus space to put the stuff.

Why would they not be able to get to the shops? The lockdown situations in Italy and Spain allow people to leave their homes if they are shopping for food or medicine don't they?
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:11 - Mar 19 with 5868 viewsbrazil1982

Four weeks worth
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:15 - Mar 19 with 5848 viewsbrazil1982

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:06 - Mar 19 by footers

But aside from the idiots hoarding and panic buying, "normal" people getting more than they would do is only going to make matters worse.

I'm just planning a few days ahead for fresh stuff and making use of my cupboards. Probably got enough for a couple of weeks. Which probably gives me enough time to think of a palatable pasta and mushy peas recipe.

My mate swears by his recipe for mushy pea curry. I cant think of the mess it would create for me.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:23 - Mar 19 with 5827 viewsGuthrum

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:06 - Mar 19 by footers

Do you have ham? That always goes well with mushy peas. One of my staples.

Perhaps peppers instead if veggie/vegan. Or avocado, if you can get them (mushy pea and mashed avocado goes well with fish).

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:26 - Mar 19 with 5803 viewsGuthrum

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:09 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

Why would they not be able to get to the shops? The lockdown situations in Italy and Spain allow people to leave their homes if they are shopping for food or medicine don't they?

I'm not sure. Even if they do, it will become easier to control bulk buying if only one family member is allowed to go, only at set times, etc.

Tho as I said, we will have rationing before that.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 10:27]

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:27 - Mar 19 with 5797 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Need odd basics - bread, milk etc.

Otherwise fine 'til about Sunday.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:28 - Mar 19 with 5787 viewsBrixtonBlue

A few days. A week at best.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:28 - Mar 19 with 5785 viewsbefxblue

4 bottles of red, 4 bottles of white, bottle of gin.

Not even enough for the weekend.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:31 - Mar 19 with 5756 viewshype313

We will still be able to go out and get food, deliveroo etc, we're not going to starve.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:32 - Mar 19 with 5750 viewsGuthrum

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:28 - Mar 19 by befxblue

4 bottles of red, 4 bottles of white, bottle of gin.

Not even enough for the weekend.

I put 40 pints of beer on to brew the other day.

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:41 - Mar 19 with 5712 viewsHarry_Palmer

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:26 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

I'm not sure. Even if they do, it will become easier to control bulk buying if only one family member is allowed to go, only at set times, etc.

Tho as I said, we will have rationing before that.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 10:27]

Sure, the simple solution really is to put a restriction on how much of certain products people can buy. Some supermarkets are sensibly doing this already, if they don't all adopt this pretty quickly then the Government needs to enforce it.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:42 - Mar 19 with 5707 viewsElderGrizzly

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:09 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

Yes they do. This is why this whole charade is so utterly ridiculous.

And Johnson’s daily updates just fuel the fire of panic.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:43 - Mar 19 with 5703 viewshampstead_blue

Need more gin and vodka, apart from that we have two freezers which are always full of meat and stuff

We've also got the Savernake Forest so hunting deer will be an option.

(vegans need not apply)

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:47 - Mar 19 with 5675 viewsBrixtonBlue

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:42 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Yes they do. This is why this whole charade is so utterly ridiculous.

And Johnson’s daily updates just fuel the fire of panic.

I think the daily updates from Johnson and his advisors have been very good and informative.

If he didn't do them people would be complaining they're not being kept informed/up-to-date.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 11:07 - Mar 19 with 5620 viewsGuthrum

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:47 - Mar 19 by BrixtonBlue

I think the daily updates from Johnson and his advisors have been very good and informative.

If he didn't do them people would be complaining they're not being kept informed/up-to-date.

Interesting conversation with someone yesterday about information load in the present situation compared with 1918.

In the latter case, people got a brief burst of bad news in the morning, with the (delayed) death numbers in the newspapers, then got on with their days. Now we are bombarded by reports, statistics and expert opinions every waking hour. It's more than we're capable of absorbing and analysing, plus it tends to magnify the situation rather than giving it perspective.

That's social media/24-hour news, rather than specifically the government announcements. Indeed, is more likely to drown the latter out and provide immediate grounds for criticism based on other sources.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024