Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A different virus. 10:38 - Mar 19 with 555 viewsOldsmoker

I bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago.
I knocked my screwdriver (vodka and orange) over and it flooded the keyboard.
The fault code was related to the BIOS so the PC repair shop said why waste money on a 5 year old PC with no guarantee they could fix it when I could buy a brand new one with an SSD.
I started off with Windows update, getting the latest software and drivers to ensure the PC would operate at max efficiency.
I then loaded my favourite freesoft (Mozilla Firefox, Avast free antivirus etc.).
Then to my games.
GOG has my games in my account and as I have already bought them I get to download them free again.
I missed something because Chrome downloaded too. I didn't ask for it so I uninstalled it.
What I didn't know was that a bit of Malware had downloaded too.
It's called SAntivirus.
This POS created multiple SVCHOST activities and gobbled up all my memory causing my PC to crash every half-hour.
When I discovered it I googled what it was and how to remove it and this is where the sneaky stuff starts.
Some of the solutions on how to remove it were written by the same malware company which led to hiding the malware on the PC. Others suggested downloading freesoft to check and remove all malware but this was more malware.
I found a geek guide which was very comprehensive and involved REGEDIT and intensive surgery on the registry. One of the steps was to disconnect from the internet because this clever bit of malware actually reinstalled itself when I ran the Uninstall wizard by connecting to the Internet and downloading a file that would activate at start-up.

I now have a clean PC but this experience has been frustrating.
Anybody else had similar?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A different virus. on 10:48 - Mar 19 with 501 viewsDanTheMan

Sounds similar to a few cases of malware I've had over the years, admittedly not had any recently though.

May I suggest using something like Ninite next time?

https://ninite.com/

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024