Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In today’s briefing 17:45 - Mar 19 with 5776 viewsNewcyBlue

BoJo has said a couple of times that he wants businesses to stand by their employees because the government will “stand by businesses”....

He also said that they aim to look after the people most effected by the financial issues of this better than the people were looked after post 2008 financial crash.

Otherwise, he said a lot without saying much. Lots of bluster about testing, even suggesting they could test up to 250000 per day.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

In today’s briefing on 17:48 - Mar 19 with 3438 viewscatch74

Think he said that Rishi Sunak is with him tomorrow, reckon there’ll be a lot more meat to the bones then!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

In today’s briefing on 17:49 - Mar 19 with 3430 viewseireblue

I find the use of war style language very annoying, and in my view, unhelpful.
In today’s briefing on 17:49 - Mar 19 with 3430 viewsfooters

In his head I'm sure he sees himself as a bizarro-world Churchill, but in reality he's more like the dog from the ads.

If it's substance you want, he ain't the man, man.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

In today’s briefing on 17:51 - Mar 19 with 3416 viewsStokieBlue

The antibody test is the real game changer there - if we can test in huge quantities to determine who has already had it then life can resume some level of normality given those people *should* be relatively immune.

Antibody tests should be massively faster - minutes not days.

We need the tests purchased and working before we can start to believe that though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 with 3385 viewsBlueBadger

In today’s briefing on 17:51 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

The antibody test is the real game changer there - if we can test in huge quantities to determine who has already had it then life can resume some level of normality given those people *should* be relatively immune.

We need the tests purchased and working before we can start to believe that though.

SB

Hopefully they're also relatively easy to use as well - the role of training and troubleshooting the use of these devices is a big thing here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 with 3386 viewsLord_Lucan

In today’s briefing on 17:49 - Mar 19 by eireblue

I disagree, I think it focuses peoples minds.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 with 3384 viewsBloomBlue

In today’s briefing on 17:51 - Mar 19 by StokieBlue

SB

As you say if they can get that it would be a real changer
In today’s briefing on 17:53 - Mar 19 with 3372 viewssparks

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 by BloomBlue

As you say if they can get that it would be a real changer

I have very little time for Johnson, but he has spoken well and demonstrated a degree of real intelligence in his ability to properly absorb and communicate the advice.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

In today’s briefing on 17:55 - Mar 19 with 3356 viewsmonytowbray

I still don't understand how he can't see this idea of businesses supporting their staff can work. Many people losing jobs and can't afford to stick by employees.

It feels like burdening someone who doesn't have a lot of choice with the issue rather than getting the support we need.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

In today’s briefing on 18:06 - Mar 19 with 3288 viewsgordon

In today’s briefing on 17:53 - Mar 19 by sparks

I have very little time for Johnson, but he has spoken well and demonstrated a degree of real intelligence in his ability to properly absorb and communicate the advice.

I thought he just waffled without expressing anything clearly. He's giving false hope to people, not addressing most of the fall-out in terms of civil society, the self-employed and the soon to be unemployed.

They also accept that they won't know for three weeks whether these measures are working, and it will be a 'problem' if they aren't.

I got the impression he sees the whole thing as an irritating distraction.
In today’s briefing on 18:08 - Mar 19 with 3278 viewsNewcyBlue

In today’s briefing on 17:53 - Mar 19 by sparks

I honestly didn’t think much of that today.

I thought he spent a lot of time beating around the bush, a lot of waffle.

He seemed to emphasise that they would stand by businesses. But he almost pleaded for businesses to support their employees.

Not overly confident there.

Expecting to “turn the tide” within 12 weeks. London 3 weeks ahead in the outbreak at the moment.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

In today’s briefing on 18:12 - Mar 19 with 3253 viewsjaykay

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

i think being laid off focuses people minds. e.g, adnams etc

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

In today’s briefing on 18:13 - Mar 19 with 3249 viewssparks

In today’s briefing on 18:06 - Mar 19 by gordon

I thought he just waffled without expressing anything clearly. He's giving false hope to people, not addressing most of the fall-out in terms of civil society, the self-employed and the soon to be unemployed.

They also accept that they won't know for three weeks whether these measures are working, and it will be a 'problem' if they aren't.

I think thats biased and unfair. He was even scientifically straightforward about not knowing the answers.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

In today’s briefing on 18:21 - Mar 19 with 3218 viewsmonytowbray

In today’s briefing on 18:06 - Mar 19 by gordon

He said the word “science” a few times though so he sounds smart.

TWTD never forgets…

In today’s briefing on 18:26 - Mar 19 with 3188 viewsmonytowbray

In today’s briefing on 18:12 - Mar 19 by jaykay

i think being laid off focuses people minds. e.g, adnams etc

Most the country are in the dark. No idea what planned measures are. Businesses have no idea when these support grants/loans will come through, pubs are still stuck open at a complete loss so insurers are protected, most the country has no idea what their employment and income status will look like tomorrow. No one knows what we’re going to get to start planning for self-budgeting.

The journalist questions were p1ss poor today too. A lot of lip service. Half the time the answers simply raise more questions.

If this mess isn’t addressed soon it’s going to be a volcano erupting. Most of us want to just relax all we can and stay shut in safe in the know we’re at least protected in terms of food and a roof over our heads. I can barely even concentrate on my work right now as hard as I am trying.

TWTD never forgets…

In today’s briefing on 18:28 - Mar 19 with 3190 viewsFixed_It

In today’s briefing on 18:13 - Mar 19 by sparks

I think thats biased and unfair. He was even scientifically straightforward about not knowing the answers.

His wartime analogies are irritating though. The 'send it packing' line in particular was public schoolboy, jingoistic rhetoric which undermined the message he was trying to get across.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

In today’s briefing on 18:30 - Mar 19 with 3174 viewsmonytowbray

In today’s briefing on 18:28 - Mar 19 by Fixed_It

His wartime analogies are irritating though. The 'send it packing' line in particular was public schoolboy, jingoistic rhetoric which undermined the message he was trying to get across.

I don’t think he has any level of basic empathy to realise he’s addressing concerned citizens who need reassurance and transparency right now. Not empty platitudes and the “posh boy class clown” act.

TWTD never forgets…

In today’s briefing on 18:30 - Mar 19 with 3173 viewseireblue

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

You could be correct.

But that type of analogy and language maybe the sort of thing that drives people to do crazy stuff like hoarding. That is my concern about language.

You stop transmission, and/or find a cure for a virus. You don’t send it packing.

I just think very simple messages, repeated and emphasised, rather than a bit of bluster and rhetoric, mixed with some sensible stuff would be better. I could be wrong.
In today’s briefing on 18:32 - Mar 19 with 3172 viewsjas0999

This the problem with daily briefings. There is an expectation for him to say something, but some days there will actually be little to say, which hasn’t already been said. That will no doubt disappoint the media.
In today’s briefing on 18:35 - Mar 19 with 3144 viewsmonytowbray

In today’s briefing on 18:32 - Mar 19 by jas0999

This the problem with daily briefings. There is an expectation for him to say something, but some days there will actually be little to say, which hasn’t already been said. That will no doubt disappoint the media.

There was plenty more he could have said today about what we can expect for us plebs. They ran out skipping from the off with a huge budget for the economy but they continue to drag out worker’s rights and benefits.

Their understanding of urgency throughout in every regard has been appalling.

TWTD never forgets…

In today’s briefing on 18:35 - Mar 19 with 3140 viewssparks

In today’s briefing on 18:30 - Mar 19 by eireblue

You could be correct.

But that type of analogy and language maybe the sort of thing that drives people to do crazy stuff like hoarding. That is my concern about language.

You stop transmission, and/or find a cure for a virus. You don’t send it packing.

I just think very simple messages, repeated and emphasised, rather than a bit of bluster and rhetoric, mixed with some sensible stuff would be better. I could be wrong.

He personified the virus. I think many people need to see it that way to be persuaded to fight it.

In today’s briefing on 18:40 - Mar 19 with 3108 viewsSwansea_Blue

In today’s briefing on 17:49 - Mar 19 by eireblue

You weren't also reassured by promises to "get this thing done"?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

In today’s briefing on 18:41 - Mar 19 with 3102 viewsSwansea_Blue

In today’s briefing on 17:52 - Mar 19 by BlueBadger

Hopefully they're also relatively easy to use as well - the role of training and troubleshooting the use of these devices is a big thing here.

If you lot can manage I'm sure we'll be fine

In today’s briefing on 18:44 - Mar 19 with 3057 viewsSwansea_Blue

In today’s briefing on 17:55 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

I still don't understand how he can't see this idea of businesses supporting their staff can work. Many people losing jobs and can't afford to stick by employees.

It feels like burdening someone who doesn't have a lot of choice with the issue rather than getting the support we need.

There's business and then there's the Tory idea of business. The likes of the people who donate to them can probably manage to cover/raise finance in the short term. But your small/micro SME and the self-employed won't be so lucky.

In today’s briefing on 18:45 - Mar 19 with 3050 viewsBlueBadger

In today’s briefing on 18:41 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

If you lot can manage I'm sure we'll be fine

I hope it involves really uncomfortable blood tests and I draw YOU, you beast.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 18:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024