Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antibody tests - coronavirus 19:40 - Mar 19 with 987 viewsMattinLondon

Sorry for being thick but I’ve just been reading that that Government is set to buy thousands of Antibody Tests to ascertain if people have already had the virus.

What’s the point? As I was under the impression that you can catch the virus twice.

Thanks - I could well be totally wrong and being dense but I’m stumped.

[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 19:41]
Antibody tests - coronavirus on 19:44 - Mar 19 with 936 viewssparks

It is very unlikely that you can catch it twice in short succession.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 19:45 - Mar 19 with 933 viewsmonytowbray

There have been reports of it yes, but I don’t think there’s been an outright statement or any research into it.

That’s the worrying thing. We cannot guarantee immunity is on the cards, nor that it will go over the Summer months. It’s already spreading around Oz and they’re on the back end of their Summer.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-17/with-the-start-of-spring-on-

Worth a read.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:08 - Mar 19 with 894 viewsBlueBadger

It'll show that you've had the current, most prevalent strain. t won't show up for future mutations necessarily.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:18 - Mar 19 with 870 viewsBloomBlue

The theory is if you had it you won't catch it again. If they test you and it returns in the autumn the theory is you can go about you're life and the only people who will have self isolate next time is those who didnt have it.
Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:42 - Mar 19 with 825 viewsElderGrizzly

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:18 - Mar 19 by BloomBlue

The theory is if you had it you won't catch it again. If they test you and it returns in the autumn the theory is you can go about you're life and the only people who will have self isolate next time is those who didnt have it.

There are over 10 cases of people catching it twice. Now is that because it has mutated or we can’t build the expected immunity?

The ‘experts’ were saying this is likely to require vaccinations to change each year like we have to with the flu
Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:50 - Mar 19 with 810 viewssparks

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:42 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

There are over 10 cases of people catching it twice. Now is that because it has mutated or we can’t build the expected immunity?

The ‘experts’ were saying this is likely to require vaccinations to change each year like we have to with the flu

Do you have a reference for that- because I have not seen it.

There were some dodgy results but I had not seen any confirmed clear ones of second infections.

If you fight it off- you will have lots of antibodies.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:52 - Mar 19 with 804 viewsStokieBlue

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 19:45 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

There have been reports of it yes, but I don’t think there’s been an outright statement or any research into it.

That’s the worrying thing. We cannot guarantee immunity is on the cards, nor that it will go over the Summer months. It’s already spreading around Oz and they’re on the back end of their Summer.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-17/with-the-start-of-spring-on-

Worth a read.

They explicitly said they were in talks to obtain initial antibody tests in today's press briefing. There has been plenty of research into antibody testing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 20:53 - Mar 19 with 796 viewsStokieBlue

The reports of people catching it twice aren't confirmed - there is a lot of debate as to whether the testing was performed correctly.

The figure was as high as 14% in one Chinese province, once again though, no verification on the quality of the testing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Antibody tests - coronavirus on 21:54 - Mar 19 with 740 viewsGuthrum

Also depends how long immunity lasts. Not necessarily permanent once gained.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024