Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unforeseen upsides of CV 10:18 - Mar 20 with 6153 viewsbluelagos

I reckon there must be quite a few, not to downplay the downsides. What are the genuine plus points of the current crisis?

1. Many parents will get to appreciate / better understand the difficulties of motivating and engaging kids in learning. So a likely increase in how society sees/values those who work in education.

2. Engaging with the outdoors. Suspect many stuck at home will soon be going stir crazy. Walks, cycles and other outdoor activities may be the only way to get fresh air, exercise in the coming weeks.

3. Engaging with the neighbours. This is already happening, apparently I was the 4th person to offer a shopping run to an elderly neighbour the other day.

Edited for those too lazy to read the thread :-)

4. Reduced smog / pollution from lower traffic volumes.

5. Increased homeworking as people are forced to do it / learn how to do it.

6. Appreciation of supply chains and their fragility.

7. Mr and Mrs Swansea_Blue get to go on a run :-)

8. World peace and Trump gets kicked into touch

9. Dav_blue sees more of his kids...

Must be loads more?
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 15:15]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:22 - Mar 20 with 3627 viewsRyorry

The planet is breathing more easily, even if many of its human inhabitants aren't!

Reports yesterday of normally smoggy cities having clear skies, reductions of CO2 emissions due to little flying, fewer car journeys etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:25 - Mar 20 with 3607 viewsSteve_M

I think there will be an even bigger, or perhaps a faster, shift towards home-working.

I tended to think my job was too fiddly to do from home regularly - need for multiple applications running, constant interaction with a lot of people - but with a big screen it's not too bad. I need a bloody headset though.

Also, an appreciation of supply chains which a lot of people were very blase about only a few weeks ago.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:26 - Mar 20 with 3598 viewsDyland

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:22 - Mar 20 by Ryorry

The planet is breathing more easily, even if many of its human inhabitants aren't!

Reports yesterday of normally smoggy cities having clear skies, reductions of CO2 emissions due to little flying, fewer car journeys etc.

That's kind of choking me up, excuse the pun :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:46 - Mar 20 with 3541 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm aiming for the second one. As soon as I can bury a piece of work I'm on, I'll be having a daily lunchtime run. And the Mrs will be tagging on but keeping the prescribed distance (nothing to do with Covid-19, we just don't like each other )

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:54 - Mar 20 with 3522 viewsSwansea_Blue

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:25 - Mar 20 by Steve_M

I think there will be an even bigger, or perhaps a faster, shift towards home-working.

I tended to think my job was too fiddly to do from home regularly - need for multiple applications running, constant interaction with a lot of people - but with a big screen it's not too bad. I need a bloody headset though.

Also, an appreciation of supply chains which a lot of people were very blase about only a few weeks ago.

Bizarrely, I'm getting to know colleagues through Zoom who I wouldn't normally speak to, and it's making life a lot easier. Putting faces to names and building better relationships. Problems that would have sat in email inboxes for days are now being sorted in real time. It's been a bit of a revelation so far (not news to people who use video meeting regularly I'm sure, but we were still 95% email and 5% face to face meetings that took days to coordinate, via more emails!).

When we get back I'm tempted to kick emails for routine queries and say I'm only available on Zoom during set times. Think it's be a life saver in dealing with email overload.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:00 - Mar 20 with 3508 viewsDarth_Koont

More empathy on a global scale.

As each country shares similar risks, fears and reality, it tends to blur the differences and barriers between us (that are largely artificial anyway). Maybe people will start wondering quite what we were arguing about re: geo-political rivalries and nationalism or at least re-examining it.

I'm sure we'll quickly return to normality but hopefully there'll be some residual goodwill and an excellent opportunity to address global problems like climate change, inequality and intolerance. Plus diseases and health issues that affect many of the rest of the world to a similar scale but not us in the developed and Northern world.

On a side note, all of the above is why Trump's tit-for-tat with China sticks out so badly. Hopefully this will even look bad to enough of his own supporters. Him being unelectable because of Covid-19 would be a huge boost for the world.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:03 - Mar 20 with 3499 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 10:25 - Mar 20 by Steve_M

Definitely on the home working front, there has been a gradual shift for sometime but having now had to upgrade capabilities I suspect a lot of large firms will be reviewing whether they need all that pricey office space as soon as this has passed

Also I expect a lot of the contactless type stuff to stay - deliveries etc. Although debatable if that’s really a huge benefit under normal circumstances

And can see a lot of pubs/restaurants that haven’t previously done so continuing to offer takeaway services - but again not really a benefit as such, just a general shift

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:18 - Mar 20 with 3449 viewsdavblue

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:03 - Mar 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Definitely on the home working front, there has been a gradual shift for sometime but having now had to upgrade capabilities I suspect a lot of large firms will be reviewing whether they need all that pricey office space as soon as this has passed

Also I expect a lot of the contactless type stuff to stay - deliveries etc. Although debatable if that’s really a huge benefit under normal circumstances

And can see a lot of pubs/restaurants that haven’t previously done so continuing to offer takeaway services - but again not really a benefit as such, just a general shift

I've said for a few years, office space will be a thing of the past.

There will be offices around but satellite ones that multiple business share buildings for client meetings and the such.

Travelling to work is a massive waste of time for many office workers and totally not required. The benefits will be to the environment, less cars travelling, less pollution, roads quieter.

I will get an extra 3 hours to spend with my family a day without travelling into and out of London, that is massive for us as a family.
Login to get fewer ads

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:54 - Mar 20 with 3373 viewsIllinoisblue

Extra hour in bed due to WFH and no spirit-sapping 50-minute commute each day.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:04 - Mar 20 with 3314 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:18 - Mar 20 by davblue

I've said for a few years, office space will be a thing of the past.

There will be offices around but satellite ones that multiple business share buildings for client meetings and the such.

Travelling to work is a massive waste of time for many office workers and totally not required. The benefits will be to the environment, less cars travelling, less pollution, roads quieter.

I will get an extra 3 hours to spend with my family a day without travelling into and out of London, that is massive for us as a family.

Oh was definitely heading that way slowly, but this will accelerate it x100

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:08 - Mar 20 with 3302 viewsSuperblue95

Commute to work is much shorter as so many people are at home. Also improves my mood as I don’t have to shout at numerous stupid drivers or sit in any soul crushing traffic jams

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:09 - Mar 20 with 3297 viewsDarth_Koont

Fewer meetings! Nearly forgot. Sort of connected to WFH but deserves its own number.

Some meetings are really good and important - stuff gets discussed, problems are solved, decisions are made. But the ease with which certain people can arrange meetings with no clear focus or outcome means that the average meeting is massively unproductive - and not even that good for a team/morale perspective either. People know that too which is why very few people prepare for them or follow up on them either.

I'd make meetings standing up and 30 minutes maximum. For anything beyond that, you need to explain beforehand what the meeting is about, why every person in the room is there and what the expected outcome is.

There's a special place in hell for those who make work slow and boring for everyone else by thinking their job is to have meetings.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:09 - Mar 20 with 3297 viewsSE1blue

One of the biggest upsides is that we’ll be far better prepared for any future virus.

We could’ve done more to be ready for this one but now we know so much more about how things play out socially, economically, environmentally and globally (to name but a few aspects).

We have to (and can only) learn from this and make things better for the future.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 12:14]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:42 - Mar 20 with 3229 viewsParisBlue

There will be lots of people decluttering and sorting the spare room out. Good for charity shops. .

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:43 - Mar 20 with 3222 viewsRyorry

The return of "digging for victory", as people get going with veg & produce growing in light of shortage of stuff in shops (and that won't just be down to panic buying - much of our salad stuff, eg, comes from Spain).

Even those without gardens can still grow things on windowsills, growbags on balconies for tomatoes & chillies, tubs on doorsteps. You can buy pea seeds for sprouting shoots eg, or organic lentil & chick pea etc. seeds to sprout (you need jamjars with foil lids with holes in to rinse daily, or buy special sprouting kits online). They're a valuable source of protein, as well as vits & mins - a meal in a couple of handfuls.

At least one sector is currently experiencing a massive upturn in their business - gardeners, & garden supplies!

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:46 - Mar 20 with 3212 viewsMullet

1. I'm sceptical. There's been a backlash already and a lot of finger pointing (admittedly it's the noisy minority) Also the research and speculation is suggesting this will massively increase educational inequality.

2. I'm hitting the garden as much as I can to plant stuff out with my toddler and teach him about where food comes from

3. Our only interaction with a neighbour thus far was to have her pop over the fence and ask if we could get a tree surgeon out as the sun comes over at an angle where she doesn't get enough sun in her garden.

I can only agree with the rest.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:54 - Mar 20 with 3196 viewsRyorry

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 11:00 - Mar 20 by Darth_Koont

More empathy on a global scale.

As each country shares similar risks, fears and reality, it tends to blur the differences and barriers between us (that are largely artificial anyway). Maybe people will start wondering quite what we were arguing about re: geo-political rivalries and nationalism or at least re-examining it.

I'm sure we'll quickly return to normality but hopefully there'll be some residual goodwill and an excellent opportunity to address global problems like climate change, inequality and intolerance. Plus diseases and health issues that affect many of the rest of the world to a similar scale but not us in the developed and Northern world.

On a side note, all of the above is why Trump's tit-for-tat with China sticks out so badly. Hopefully this will even look bad to enough of his own supporters. Him being unelectable because of Covid-19 would be a huge boost for the world.

As Commander Chris Hadfield said from the ISS - "from space, earth has no borders, nor is the name of any country written above it".

Re your 2nd para - had also been thinking how this experience seems like a bit of role reversal re us Europeans looking at epidemics in "Third World" countries in the past. Not sure if any country has completely escaped this virus (seems unlikely), but I wouldn't mind being able to see Europe through the eyes of any less affected ones, maybe in Africa, now.

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:56 - Mar 20 with 3176 viewsmonytowbray

My left wrist muscles are getting stronger.

Capitalism is fully exposed for the disastrously fragile and out of control system it is.

People are waking up to the fact maybe the super rich are actually for the most part complete pricks.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:00 - Mar 20 with 3165 viewsdavblue

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:04 - Mar 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Oh was definitely heading that way slowly, but this will accelerate it x100

i think there's a distrust of people working from home.

I would get found out easily if i wasn't pulling my weight but i also have professional pride to do my job to the best of my abilities.

I've been working from home a lot over the last 6 months due to my workload and the commute time has been put into using it for work. So these steps isn't a massive jump for me but it does take time to get into the swing of things.
Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:07 - Mar 20 with 3100 viewsnoggin

Not in the UK, but we are experiencing a large drop in 999 (113) calls for trivial matters. Hopefully the sensible use of emergency services will continue, if and when, this passes.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:35 - Mar 20 with 3037 viewsBlueBadger

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 12:56 - Mar 20 by monytowbray

My left wrist muscles are getting stronger.

Capitalism is fully exposed for the disastrously fragile and out of control system it is.

People are waking up to the fact maybe the super rich are actually for the most part complete pricks.

Let wrist?

You kinky devil.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:36 - Mar 20 with 3036 viewsBlueBadger

People actually using Emergency Departments for actual emergencies.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:40 - Mar 20 with 3017 viewsmonytowbray

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:35 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Let wrist?

You kinky devil.

Left handers finger better. Fact.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:42 - Mar 20 with 3019 viewsPinewoodblue

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:36 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

People actually using Emergency Departments for actual emergencies.

The usual worriers presumably are staying away worried they might catch something.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:44 - Mar 20 with 3014 viewsBlueBadger

Unforeseen upsides of CV on 13:42 - Mar 20 by Pinewoodblue

The usual worriers presumably are staying away worried they might catch something.

Have been so for about a fortnight now. I'm expecting it to turn around at some point in he next two weeks though..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024