Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades 14:23 - Mar 20 with 1252 viewsMullet

This will be very interesting.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:30 - Mar 20 with 1196 viewsmonytowbray

Side note but our exam system is flawed. It's a test of memory and practical application in the digital world makes a lot of it redundant.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:36 - Mar 20 with 1169 viewsStokieBlue

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:30 - Mar 20 by monytowbray

Side note but our exam system is flawed. It's a test of memory and practical application in the digital world makes a lot of it redundant.

Can you expand on that rather than just a single line?

Understanding the principles and methodologies that lay beneath things is even more important in the digital world in my opinion.

SB
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 14:54]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:37 - Mar 20 with 1158 viewsStokieBlue

As you say, it will be interesting to see what formula they come up with.

However, will people know their "calculated grade" before the decide whether to sit an exam?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:38 - Mar 20 with 1158 viewsPJH

So you mean my English Lit, History and Geography 'o' levels are no use now?

I think my English and Maths ones are still ok.

I have a granddaugter that had supposed to be taking exams in May so I do know that it is a serious problem.
Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:44 - Mar 20 with 1128 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I was kinda hoping Uni might give out an average grade type thing.

Cos I’m 1% into a First as it stands

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:47 - Mar 20 with 1112 viewsEly_Blue

I’m gradually losing my patience with anything you post, I am seriously thinking that you have oppositional behaviour, if mullet had come on with a tweet that said “Dof Ed we’re going to allow a digital test to help with exams grades” you would have come on with a comment of “oh but that’s so unfair on all the kids who took their exams last year and took paper exams based on memory”

There is no reasoning or winning with you is there?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:51 - Mar 20 with 1093 viewsSpruceMoose

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:47 - Mar 20 by Ely_Blue

I’m gradually losing my patience with anything you post, I am seriously thinking that you have oppositional behaviour, if mullet had come on with a tweet that said “Dof Ed we’re going to allow a digital test to help with exams grades” you would have come on with a comment of “oh but that’s so unfair on all the kids who took their exams last year and took paper exams based on memory”

There is no reasoning or winning with you is there?

Why not pop him on ignore then? In general if there is a poster you just can't stand, ignoring them saves the rest of us wading through pages of aggressive posting to see the hand full of decent posts.

These are stressful times my friends, don't make it any harder than it has to be on yourselves.

*This post was brought to you by the Do As I Say Not As I Do Committee on behalf of SpruceMoose*

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 15:10 - Mar 20 with 1059 viewsChrisd

Honestly, it's laughable reading the views on this topic over the last couple of days. Some don't want the use of teacher assessment, previous attainment or coursework and now the idea of using tests is wrong. I'm not having a pop at you Callis as I was never a test person and understand your viewpoint, it just appears that all the available solutions are wrong for everyone. This situation is a unique one, I appreciate it's not ideal, but at least the powers that be are trying to help the students so they don't miss out on starting the next phase of their education journey and are trying to keep it as smooth and within the deadlines as possible.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 15:19 - Mar 20 with 1026 viewsMullet

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:37 - Mar 20 by StokieBlue

As you say, it will be interesting to see what formula they come up with.

However, will people know their "calculated grade" before the decide whether to sit an exam?

SB

It will be very interesting as it will severely punish several groups of students I teach potentially.

The stereotypical boys don't try for years group whose prior mock grades will be low will lose out.

The EAL students who will have been mastering English as they learn and often don't blossom until later for obvious reasons

The students who had a meltdown in the mock group (admittedly small in my experience) but are the football equivalent of great in training but not always on a matchday.

Let alone the potential for better researched schools to lobby for "evidence" to be submitted as a portfolio to boost their grades. This is another downside of the marketisation of education since the 80's potentially and Gove's reshaping of the exams recently.

I've see speculation from all corners already and my phone is going off. Some are suggesting KS2 SATs grades will have a big weighting which is very dubious, but shows the 11+ mentality of the government if true (but I'm dubious)

As a rule I generally end up putting in lots of intensive work around now and raise grades significantly with some students too, so the articles coming out this week about the deprived areas being punished further might prove right. But every teacher can make that argument feasibly and it's not fair to say my past successes/failures impact this year group.

I do not envy the people whose heads this will fall on. They are in a catch 22. This week ending can't come soon enough.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 15:41 - Mar 20 with 986 viewsEly_Blue

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 15:19 - Mar 20 by Mullet

It will be very interesting as it will severely punish several groups of students I teach potentially.

The stereotypical boys don't try for years group whose prior mock grades will be low will lose out.

The EAL students who will have been mastering English as they learn and often don't blossom until later for obvious reasons

The students who had a meltdown in the mock group (admittedly small in my experience) but are the football equivalent of great in training but not always on a matchday.

Let alone the potential for better researched schools to lobby for "evidence" to be submitted as a portfolio to boost their grades. This is another downside of the marketisation of education since the 80's potentially and Gove's reshaping of the exams recently.

I've see speculation from all corners already and my phone is going off. Some are suggesting KS2 SATs grades will have a big weighting which is very dubious, but shows the 11+ mentality of the government if true (but I'm dubious)

As a rule I generally end up putting in lots of intensive work around now and raise grades significantly with some students too, so the articles coming out this week about the deprived areas being punished further might prove right. But every teacher can make that argument feasibly and it's not fair to say my past successes/failures impact this year group.

I do not envy the people whose heads this will fall on. They are in a catch 22. This week ending can't come soon enough.

Thank you so much for your input on this, it is much appreciated from someone who is very anxious about my 16 year old son who definitely falls into one of the categories that you mention and had been working so hard this year after thinking things were going to be much easier than they actually are when he took his mocks.

School put a RAG plan in place for all of the student after October exams to help them with the areas they all needed to work on and my sone had been working so hard towards improvements and it has taken a lot of work both from myself and my wife in particular to get him to put the effort in with extra sessions at lunchtime and after school and the results have been promising, I do however feel very deflated that all the extra work on all parts may have been in vain.

The school have promised that the students will get the grades they need to progress but 6th form were only able to offer him a conditional place based on his predicted grades from earlier in the year, I fear now that the higher course that he was working towards with doing the extra work will now not be awarded to him as they will just award him the grades that allow him to do the course offered, given that this is a 1 year course geared towards him resisting maths and English he may as well with through the whole of year 11 again

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:24 - Mar 20 with 962 viewsfactual_blue

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 14:44 - Mar 20 by The_Romford_Blue

I was kinda hoping Uni might give out an average grade type thing.

Cos I’m 1% into a First as it stands

What's your uni and course Rommers?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:52 - Mar 20 with 922 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:24 - Mar 20 by factual_blue

What's your uni and course Rommers?

Bucks New University - Sports Development and Coaching

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:52 - Mar 20 with 920 viewscolchesterchris

Will be interesting to see this filters through to us admissions people at universities and how fairly it's applied across the sector.

Thoughts to those students who will be worried about this, it's a far more stressful time than some people think in a normal year so who knows what they're thinking right now.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:53 - Mar 20 with 919 viewscolchesterchris

Okay, so what do you suggest?

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:53 - Mar 20 with 917 viewsNewcyBlue

Breaking News from Ofqual on exam grades on 16:52 - Mar 20 by The_Romford_Blue

Bucks New University - Sports Development and Coaching

Proud of you mate. You’ve done well for yourself. Keep working hard!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024