Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Weekly shop 20:34 - Mar 20 with 2566 viewsPlums

Right then folks, it’s time to do the weekly shop. I refuse to become part of the problem but our family of four needs to eat. I assume I’m not alone, what are your strategies?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Weekly shop on 20:35 - Mar 20 with 2554 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Weekly shop on 20:36 - Mar 20 with 2541 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Buy a reasonable selection of what is available and will provide you with sufficient meals for the week. Not sure what is so difficult about that even if we will have to adjust exactly what that is if some people have stocked up on 100 bags of pasta.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Weekly shop on 20:40 - Mar 20 with 2506 viewswellyblue

Wear a Medieval plague doctor costume, available online, the shop will be yours...
Weekly shop on 20:43 - Mar 20 with 2481 viewsPlums

Weekly shop on 20:36 - Mar 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Buy a reasonable selection of what is available and will provide you with sufficient meals for the week. Not sure what is so difficult about that even if we will have to adjust exactly what that is if some people have stocked up on 100 bags of pasta.

Of course. I’m really just wondering when people plan on going. I have no desire to spend hours queuing in a car park but equally, have things i need including eggs for an elderly neighbour who has tried and failed twice today.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

Weekly shop on 20:44 - Mar 20 with 2461 viewsgiant_stow

Weekly shop on 20:43 - Mar 20 by Plums

Of course. I’m really just wondering when people plan on going. I have no desire to spend hours queuing in a car park but equally, have things i need including eggs for an elderly neighbour who has tried and failed twice today.

Corner shops have come through, personally.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Weekly shop on 20:49 - Mar 20 with 2435 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Weekly shop on 20:43 - Mar 20 by Plums

Are people really having to queue? That's ridiculous! There must be reasonable substitutes for eggs even if it does mean not having exactly what you would normally eat. I understand that sort of disruption may be trickier for someone who is older.

Weekly shop on 21:06 - Mar 20 with 2386 viewsstrikalite

Weekly shop on 20:44 - Mar 20 by giant_stow

Yep corner shops now, can say that because I'm confident none of you lot live in my area, went to Sainsburys as usual twice this week which was a waste of time...came back and did a detour to a local shop and they had a damn sight more...
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 21:21]
Weekly shop on 21:15 - Mar 20 with 2371 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Weekly shop on 20:49 - Mar 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Are people really having to queue? That's ridiculous! There must be reasonable substitutes for eggs even if it does mean not having exactly what you would normally eat. I understand that sort of disruption may be trickier for someone who is older.

There has actually been a run on chickens believe it or not. I Don't know where you are but most farm shops are chocker with eggs, potatoes and more....don't tell anyone though!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Weekly shop on 21:20 - Mar 20 with 2350 viewsjaykay

Weekly shop on 20:44 - Mar 20 by giant_stow

the good old corner shop. was in my local one today getting my paper. when a little old lady at the counter said have you any milk, raj. of course mrs freeman and got a carton from under the counter he also told her he got her eggs and bread put by for her. after she had gone the bloke whom was behind her asked for milk . he was told no , he muttered you just gave the old biddy some. raj said and she will get it again when she runs out , she uses my shop ever week for what little she needs. you on the other hand , i have never seen you in here the 12 years i have been here. he left puttering bloody indians or something to those words.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Weekly shop on 21:48 - Mar 20 with 2311 viewsbadadski

Weekly shop on 21:20 - Mar 20 by jaykay

the good old corner shop. was in my local one today getting my paper. when a little old lady at the counter said have you any milk, raj. of course mrs freeman and got a carton from under the counter he also told her he got her eggs and bread put by for her. after she had gone the bloke whom was behind her asked for milk . he was told no , he muttered you just gave the old biddy some. raj said and she will get it again when she runs out , she uses my shop ever week for what little she needs. you on the other hand , i have never seen you in here the 12 years i have been here. he left puttering bloody indians or something to those words.

Like people have said corner shops are still getting regular produce delivered, fresh meats, bread, eggs etc. Long life milk a little bit rare but they have most thinks in my local Polski sklep.
Weekly shop on 22:07 - Mar 20 with 2285 viewsjeera

To manage any sort of balanced diet you want some sort of veg. Even in small quantities veg can aid vitamin absorption so no use say having a freezer full of meat but no green veg.

If you get lucky, grab a few tins of carrots and maybe green beans, whatever.

And frozen veg, again if available.

If rationing occurs then small amounts of veg will be better than nothing.

Bizarrely the other day the freezers were empty apart from balls of frozen spinach, so I grabbed a pack of those.

There were packs of fresh greens admittedly which afterwards I thought I should have bought. Those, blanched and frozen would also do.

Not the nicest nor my first choice, but would serve a purpose if necessary.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Weekly shop on 22:11 - Mar 20 with 2277 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Weekly shop on 22:07 - Mar 20 by jeera

To manage any sort of balanced diet you want some sort of veg. Even in small quantities veg can aid vitamin absorption so no use say having a freezer full of meat but no green veg.

Bizarrely the other day the freezers were empty apart from balls of frozen spinach, so I grabbed a pack of those.

There were packs of fresh greens admittedly which afterwards I thought I should have bought. Those, blanched and frozen would also do.

Fresh fruit and veg is much healthier. There is no reason to expect the supply chain to collapse. It hasn't done in France or Italy. Even in self-isolation it should still be possible to source them even if it requires help.

Weekly shop on 22:21 - Mar 20 with 2235 viewsjeera

Weekly shop on 22:11 - Mar 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Fresh fruit and veg is much healthier. There is no reason to expect the supply chain to collapse. It hasn't done in France or Italy. Even in self-isolation it should still be possible to source them even if it requires help.

I'm fully aware of that. And on a regular day, any other time, that is all I buy.

I hadn't bought a tin of anything in 30 years. Not true, tuna. I've bought tuna.

Frozen; all I ever buy are peas, and sweetcorn. But this isn't a competition. If there's not much there then you buy accordingly.

And it's madness but I went to Tesco a couple of days ago and pretty much all the fresh stuff was gone. If I had children, I would buy a little back up. That's if there's any of that left either.

All tins apart from some soups, were gone, near as dammit.

I'm talking about back up for now i the present situation, i.e. for the times people can't get out or get a delivery.

Weekly shop on 22:22 - Mar 20 with 2227 viewsbluelagos

Tesco this morning had pretty much everything, though you were strictly limited to 3 items. So if there is anything you desperately need 6 of, take yer son and or go to a second shop.

But cant really think of anything that 3 of shouldnt be enough for a week. What is means is we are likely to have to do weekly rather than monthly shops for a while.

And there werent many bulk items. So the biggest bag of rice was 2kg. There were loads of fresh fruit and veg. Expect tomorrow to be a bit mental as reality sinks in.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Weekly shop on 22:29 - Mar 20 with 2206 viewsPlums

Thanks, some good advice there. I’m a pretty decent cook and quite happy improvising.

It’s clear from the replies that I didn’t word the question very well. What I was really interested in was for those of us who haven’t spent the week loading trolleys and filling our garages, what are you doing when the time for the normal weekly shop comes? Are you up early, leaving it late, splitting the family up and going to different stores? I’m dreading heading out into what looks like a zoo at the moment - I hate grocery shopping at the best of times.

Weekly shop on 22:33 - Mar 20 with 2198 viewsjeera

Weekly shop on 22:29 - Mar 20 by Plums

Thanks, some good advice there. I’m a pretty decent cook and quite happy improvising.

It’s clear from the replies that I didn’t word the question very well. What I was really interested in was for those of us who haven’t spent the week loading trolleys and filling our garages, what are you doing when the time for the normal weekly shop comes? Are you up early, leaving it late, splitting the family up and going to different stores? I’m dreading heading out into what looks like a zoo at the moment - I hate grocery shopping at the best of times.

Well don't tell anyone, but I've found the best policy is to clock who's bought the most and then follow them home for a few miles.

Your chance will come if you time it right.

Weekly shop on 22:56 - Mar 20 with 2170 viewsbluelagos

Weekly shop on 22:29 - Mar 20 by Plums

1. Up early. Supermarkets stock overnight, the vultures deplete the shelves from opening.
2. You can split as in either a. Go to 2 shops or 2 of you shop.
3. Defo try your local shops,too.

Main problem is in the afternoons. I went twice in the afternoons and walked out with nothing as the items I was after were sold out.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Weekly shop on 23:02 - Mar 20 with 2158 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Also cleavers(sticky grass), nettles and alexanders all appearing in a hedgerows near you now!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Weekly shop on 23:06 - Mar 20 with 2147 viewsjeera

Weekly shop on 23:02 - Mar 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Also cleavers(sticky grass), nettles and alexanders all appearing in a hedgerows near you now!

And if comes to it my friend...no worries.

However, I am hoping that by then my runners, French beans and mange tout will be producing at least something worthwhile.

I might have to guard them of a night with a torch and my air rifle from the open window.

Weekly shop on 23:17 - Mar 20 with 2138 viewsBLUEBEAT

I stopped off at Thetford Sainsburys about an hour ago to buy some malbec and the shop was pretty much empty of people - no more than 30 cars out front. Seemed to have everything too i.e. toilet paper, eggs, meat, sanitizer, though I didn’t run a full audit. Booze shelves low as expected, what with the pubs shutting.

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024