Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Risk is overstated by media 21:20 - Mar 21 with 19569 viewsOxford_Blue

In the U.S. alone, the flu (not coronavirus) has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

World wide it causes about 500,000 deaths a year.

Millions die of starvation.

We have less than 200 deaths.

We need to get a sense of perspective.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Risk is overstated by media on 21:22 - Mar 21 with 5983 viewsbluelagos

That, or you need to understand what exponential growth is.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:28 - Mar 21 with 5910 viewsN2_Blue

time for you to go on ignore now, you are a div, your football posts were bad enough but i can't stand this nonsense with regards to life and death matters. Good bye

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:28 - Mar 21 with 5916 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:22 - Mar 21 by bluelagos

But headlines like “UK cases soar in worst day on record” when a further 50 people die, who all have health problems anyway, and may well have died in any event, is scaremongering.

17,000 die in this country on average from flu.

500,000 die each year anyway.

I’m not trivialising corona but I do think the media are lapping it up and adding to a sense of panic.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:29 - Mar 21 with 5901 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:28 - Mar 21 by N2_Blue

time for you to go on ignore now, you are a div, your football posts were bad enough but i can't stand this nonsense with regards to life and death matters. Good bye

What is factually wrong in my post?
Risk is overstated by media on 21:30 - Mar 21 with 5893 viewsbadadski

Risk is overstated by media on 21:22 - Mar 21 by bluelagos

The flu has done that throughout the whole of a year unchecked, this is a different monster that seems to be massively more contagious by design and far more deadly, and that’s including mass isolation.
This is just the first wave and as some one has already said exponential growth and likely re-occurrences will make this a once a life time event and hopefully never repeated.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:30 - Mar 21 with 5883 viewsWD19

I saw a fantastic chart a couple of days ago. It showed trend data on ‘what proportion of people think the media is overstating things’ across many countries over time.

A month ago 60% of Italians thought the media were overstating things. Needless to say they don’t now. Trust in the media in Italy has shot up.

In the UK about 60% of Britons think the media is overstating things right now.....
Risk is overstated by media on 21:30 - Mar 21 with 5883 viewsm14_blue

Yep you’re definitely right, all these governments are crashing their economies on a whim.

Don’t know why they bother with all these medical experts, Oxford_Blue could have set them straight.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:32 - Mar 21 with 5863 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:30 - Mar 21 by m14_blue

Yep you’re definitely right, all these governments are crashing their economies on a whim.

Don’t know why they bother with all these medical experts, Oxford_Blue could have set them straight.

My point is that the media are adding to a sense of panic that they don’t do with other types of flu that kill many more than have died so far. That’s all. No one needs to have a hyper emotional response or get all snowflakey, my point is a limited one about the media and the way it’s reporting this irresponsibly and adding to panic. That’s all. But ignore it if you wish and make it into something it isn’t.
Login to get fewer ads

Risk is overstated by media on 21:39 - Mar 21 with 5839 viewsTrequartista

You could stengthen your case further by adding that this is despite the existence of a flu jab.

It is correct to point this out, but coronavirus is stronger, causing pneumonia and has no vaccine at all. We accept flu because it is not out of control and is at an "acceptable" level. If we do nothing with coronavirus it would wipe out an unacceptable percentage of the population.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:39 - Mar 21 with 5822 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Risk is overstated by media on 21:29 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

There are now 233 deaths.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Risk is overstated by media on 21:42 - Mar 21 with 5796 viewseireblue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:32 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

My point is that the media are adding to a sense of panic that they don’t do with other types of flu that kill many more than have died so far. That’s all. No one needs to have a hyper emotional response or get all snowflakey, my point is a limited one about the media and the way it’s reporting this irresponsibly and adding to panic. That’s all. But ignore it if you wish and make it into something it isn’t.

Is the death rate for ‘flu consistent, and reasonably well known.

Is it growing month on month?

Are there enough beds to treat elderly that have flu?

Are there preventative measures for flu like a vaccine for some strains?

Maybe you could give us your opinion on how to tackle a virus that spreads at a rate that Covid-19 does, and how would you suggest the NHS handles the sick people that are at greater risk of dying.

Then explain how you would report it and explain the risk in a way that is not overstated.

We are all ears, this is your time to shine.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:42 - Mar 21 with 5795 viewsm14_blue

The government have closed schools, pubs, cafes, gyms, leisure centres and told everyone to stay at home.

This is completely unprecedented.

Now you may feel they have overreacted but there’s no way you can blame the media for hyping this up. It’s the biggest thing to happen to the world since 1945.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:43 - Mar 21 with 5797 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:39 - Mar 21 by Trequartista

You could stengthen your case further by adding that this is despite the existence of a flu jab.

It is correct to point this out, but coronavirus is stronger, causing pneumonia and has no vaccine at all. We accept flu because it is not out of control and is at an "acceptable" level. If we do nothing with coronavirus it would wipe out an unacceptable percentage of the population.

Thanks. You’ve responded in a reasonable way unlike the snowflakes above who can’t think critically.

I agree with you.

I didn’t say the virus wasn’t a big problem. My comment is about the way the media are whipping this up in a way they don’t do when nearly 20,000 a year die of flu (despite as you say having the flu jab). We never hear about it. We don’t have a death-o meter like we do for 250 deaths.

This doesn’t mean that I think the virus isn’t a big issue.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:44 - Mar 21 with 5781 viewsjeera

Yes entire countries are in lockdown, airports closed, travel bans in place, schools, pub, cafes, restaurants blah....

Because of the media.

You are clearly self-isolating to be bored enough to post this junk.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 with 5773 viewsBrixtonBlue

We have MORE THAN 200 deaths... so far.

This virus will cause more than 500,000 deaths in a year.

Are you a bit dim or trolling?

If you're a bit dim I forgive you.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 with 5763 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:44 - Mar 21 by jeera

Yes entire countries are in lockdown, airports closed, travel bans in place, schools, pub, cafes, restaurants blah....

Because of the media.

Again, another example of someone who can’t think critically.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:46 - Mar 21 with 5764 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

We have MORE THAN 200 deaths... so far.

This virus will cause more than 500,000 deaths in a year.

Are you a bit dim or trolling?

If you're a bit dim I forgive you.

Who says it will cause more in this country? With the measures in place it won’t be anything like that.

You sound like you’re not that bright.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:46 - Mar 21 with 5755 viewsWD19

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Wibble.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 21:49]
Risk is overstated by media on 21:46 - Mar 21 with 5756 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:43 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Thanks. You’ve responded in a reasonable way unlike the snowflakes above who can’t think critically.

I agree with you.

I didn’t say the virus wasn’t a big problem. My comment is about the way the media are whipping this up in a way they don’t do when nearly 20,000 a year die of flu (despite as you say having the flu jab). We never hear about it. We don’t have a death-o meter like we do for 250 deaths.

"But ignore it if you wish and make it into something it isn’t."

Give over. "I didn’t say the virus wasn’t a big problem."

That's exactly what you've been trying to do.

" snowflakes above who can’t think critically."

Moronic.

This is the sort of crap that was being posted weeks ago and you've gone full circle.

Risk is overstated by media on 21:47 - Mar 21 with 5750 viewsBrixtonBlue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:29 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Less than 200 deaths, for starters.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:47 - Mar 21 with 5747 viewsOxford_Blue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:44 - Mar 21 by jeera

Because of the media.

Again, another person who can’t think critically or intelligently and jumps to an emotional conclusion. Nothing in your post comes close to what I’ve said.

I’m bored wasting time with people who probably don’t have more than a few GCSEs between them. I’m off.
Risk is overstated by media on 21:48 - Mar 21 with 5742 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:45 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

I tell you what I can tell you critically, is that you are a total ***t.

Hope this helps.

Risk is overstated by media on 21:48 - Mar 21 with 5734 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:47 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

Again, another person who can’t think critically or intelligently and jumps to an emotional conclusion. Nothing in your post comes close to what I’ve said.

I’m bored wasting time with people who probably don’t have more than a few GCSEs between them. I’m off.

Feck off.

Risk is overstated by media on 21:51 - Mar 21 with 5709 viewspointofblue

Risk is overstated by media on 21:43 - Mar 21 by Oxford_Blue

I agree with you.

I do thing the media are whipping up tension and stories to create clicks and claim viewers. I hate control of the media but I wish they would stop the 24-hour run of stories - we know the issue, the Government will tell us what steps to take each time, that's all we need to know now. And maybe the positivity of how people are reacting.

Their approach is certainly not helping those who suffer from hypochondria and anxiety.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Risk is overstated by media on 21:53 - Mar 21 with 5698 viewsjeera

Risk is overstated by media on 21:47 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

Less than 200 deaths, for starters.

The word should be 'fewer' for a start.

And that's if he got the figures correct.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024