Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees 09:38 - Mar 22 with 4449 viewsStokieBlue

Thoughts?

Seems rather cynical from the company - a way to stay open by ensuring their staffs children can attend school. There are strict limits on class sizes which are government by the teachers available. With many teachers isolating the spaces are needed by the emergency services.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:40 - Mar 22 with 3699 viewssparks

Thats nonsense.

They are not keyworkers. You can buy petfood in the supermarket and online.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:42 - Mar 22 with 3681 viewsPecker

They have Vets in most stores, so for your pets, I guess they could argue their case.
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:42 - Mar 22 with 3681 viewsDanTheMan

Now I can see both sides of this.

Does pet food / supplies count as necessary is the question?

Either everyone gets their pet food from the major supermarkets etc. or these places will need to stay open, unless we want to actually starve all our pets whilst we are at it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:44 - Mar 22 with 3665 viewssparks

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:42 - Mar 22 by DanTheMan

Either everyone gets their pet food from the major supermarkets etc. or these places will need to stay open, unless we want to actually starve all our pets whilst we are at it.

We need to err on the side of caution- else everyone will be keyworkers and the whole thing fails.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:46 - Mar 22 with 3653 viewsPecker

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:44 - Mar 22 by sparks

We need to err on the side of caution- else everyone will be keyworkers and the whole thing fails.

If you have an elderly/unwell pet? We use them for our dog. I know human life is more important, but....
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:47 - Mar 22 with 3641 viewssparks

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:46 - Mar 22 by Pecker

If you have an elderly/unwell pet? We use them for our dog. I know human life is more important, but....

Well yes- human life is more important.

Vetereinary suppliea are presumably available online and from vets.

The idea of treating the many staff who work in massive shops flogging chewtoys as keyworkers is crazy.

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:47 - Mar 22 with 3644 viewsStokieBlue

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:42 - Mar 22 by DanTheMan

Pet food can be bought in supermarkets, online or at a push can be made by people themselves.

There are only a certain number of places in schools for key worker children and even if these are granted they should be right at the bottom of the list of who gets a key worker place for their children.

SB

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:51 - Mar 22 with 3608 viewsDanTheMan

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:44 - Mar 22 by sparks

Either they are going to have to be more stringent with the guidelines and find some way for the manufacturers to sell through supermarkets, or these places will have to stay open. A lot of the pet industry is fairly insular and have really specific contracts where things are not even allowed to be sold online. So that would all have to change as well.

I suppose at this point though is that the Government is saying that the pet industry is important and needs to stay open. Those are the rules.

The only reason I knew about pet supplies being counted as front line / key workers is because my partner helps run an online pet supply store. They are already struggling to deal with demand as it is, and it's just getting worse.

Also there are a lot of products that are not even sold in the supermarkets, the supermarkets generally sell a very, very small collection of items.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 9:57]

Login to get fewer ads

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:51 - Mar 22 with 3605 viewsBasuco

I purchased some flea treatment yesterday from them, it would not be pleasant to have the house infected with fleas when spending so much time at home for the next few month's.
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:52 - Mar 22 with 3597 viewsPecker

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:47 - Mar 22 by sparks

Well yes- human life is more important.

Vetereinary suppliea are presumably available online and from vets.

The idea of treating the many staff who work in massive shops flogging chewtoys as keyworkers is crazy.

I agree. Close the shop side of things, but the vets are in store. Not for food and stuff, if your pet is genuinely ill. I know that it is just a dog, but to us and many, many people their pets are family. I wouldn't want to put any human at risk for my dogs sake. I guess they would have someone on call if needed. I shall check.
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:53 - Mar 22 with 3593 viewsDanTheMan

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:47 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Pet food can be bought in supermarkets, online or at a push can be made by people themselves.

There are only a certain number of places in schools for key worker children and even if these are granted they should be right at the bottom of the list of who gets a key worker place for their children.

SB

I know, but the Government has been pretty clear the pet industry counts as much as Tescos does.

I'd agree these really are probably about as low as it goes in terms of priority.

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:54 - Mar 22 with 3582 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Is it right Dentists are now shut?

So we can be in excruciating pain and have to get on with it. Similar to breaking a leg in a few weeks when they’ll be too busy saving lives to tend to it.

Surely vets and pets are therefore the same? Not as important as humans dying from the virus.

As many of said, pet shops are not essential. There’s a work around.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:55 - Mar 22 with 3573 viewsGuthrum

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:47 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Supermarkets are being stripped bare of everything people think there will be a shortage of. Online orders are being delayed by weeks, if they can be fulfilled at all. Making petfodd relies on materials which are themselves in short supply because of that first thing.

Forcing everyone to buy from those sources will only put extra burden on the (already overstretched) supply chain.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:57 - Mar 22 with 3552 viewsPecker

We can get a Vet to us if absolutely necessary, so yes, close the shops. Pet food can be brought anywhere. (within reason)
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:57 - Mar 22 with 3553 viewsStokieBlue

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:55 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

Supermarkets are being stripped bare of everything people think there will be a shortage of. Online orders are being delayed by weeks, if they can be fulfilled at all. Making petfodd relies on materials which are themselves in short supply because of that first thing.

Forcing everyone to buy from those sources will only put extra burden on the (already overstretched) supply chain.

That's fair but having them assigned as key workers means that some emergency services personnel might have to stay home with their children.

Is there a key worker pecking order for the school staff to draw upon when deciding places?

In the end if it comes to a brutal choice of a nurse staying home or a Pets At Home worker staying home I think most of us agree which one it should be.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 9:58]

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:57 - Mar 22 with 3542 viewsDanTheMan

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:57 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

That's fair but having them assigned as key workers means that some emergency services personnel might have to stay home with their children.

Is there a key worker pecking order for the school staff to draw upon when deciding places?

In the end if it comes to a brutal choice of a nurse staying home or a Pets At Home worker staying home I think most of us agree which one it should be.

SB

"In the end if it comes to a brutal choice of a nurse staying home or a Pets At Home or even Tesco worker staying home I think most of us agree which one it should be."

I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:02 - Mar 22 with 3509 viewsGuthrum

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 09:57 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Or they will have to increase the provision for the children of key workers.

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:04 - Mar 22 with 3509 viewssparks

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:02 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

Which eventually defeats the object of closures.

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:04 - Mar 22 with 3498 viewshampstead_blue

Don't they have live animals in the store?
They would need due care if so.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:08 - Mar 22 with 3465 viewsr2d2

SB

You are still being limited to 3 tins of cat/dog food in our Sainsburys. How do you tell your pet they can only eat 3 days out of 7? Therefore people are chasing around getting enough for the week.
Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:09 - Mar 22 with 3464 viewsGuthrum

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:04 - Mar 22 by sparks

Which eventually defeats the object of closures.

Only if everybody is assigned key worker status. The vast majority of people aren't (even if pet supplies firms are included).

If the government were to introduce a formal rationing system, that would immediately solve this issue, as you would only be able to buy the stuff you need, the supermarkets would not constantly be running out and the shut-down could be expanded to include all non-vital shops.

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:11 - Mar 22 with 3455 viewsStokieBlue

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:02 - Mar 22 by Guthrum

Not that easy though - the places are variable because teachers are having to go in and out of self-isolation.

SB

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:14 - Mar 22 with 3432 viewsGuthrum

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:11 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Not that easy though - the places are variable because teachers are having to go in and out of self-isolation.

SB

Is that any different to what they're asking prison officers to do?

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:23 - Mar 22 with 3360 viewsElephantintheRoom

Of course they can claim this.

IF you live anywhere near one they have stuff on shelves. If you want to be cynical, petfood in this country is made from human grade ingredients.... you can eat it... though the point is it is essentail to keep the pet food industry working to keep food production working.

And pets are just about the only company many old folks have - they are vitally important now they are 'isolated'....conveniently forgetting that most always have been

They also have vets. Vets can legally treat people.... doctors cant treat animals.... so one of their vets might keep you alive when all the hospitals are overwhelmed in three weeks time.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:34 - Mar 22 with 3311 viewsStokieBlue

Pets At Home claiming key worker status for their employees on 10:23 - Mar 22 by ElephantintheRoom

Of course they can claim this.

IF you live anywhere near one they have stuff on shelves. If you want to be cynical, petfood in this country is made from human grade ingredients.... you can eat it... though the point is it is essentail to keep the pet food industry working to keep food production working.

And pets are just about the only company many old folks have - they are vitally important now they are 'isolated'....conveniently forgetting that most always have been

They also have vets. Vets can legally treat people.... doctors cant treat animals.... so one of their vets might keep you alive when all the hospitals are overwhelmed in three weeks time.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024