Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The way to deal with this? 10:59 - Mar 22 with 887 viewspointofblue

All people outside of key workers (doctors, nurses, surgeons, paramedics, firefighters, police officers, teachers, nursery staff, those involved in food and medical supply, those involved in waste disposal, vets, those in the military relating to maintaining law and order, social workers) to be placed in enforced isolation for twelve weeks. Promote jobs for delivery people in relation to food from supermarkets so people don’t have to go out to buy and implement

All flights to be cancelled for the duration. Same with Euro Tunnel and ports.

When the twelve weeks is up lift restrictions but everyone who is travelling into the country is placed in state quarantine for two weeks. Keep this in place until a vaccine is in place.

Would it work? Or, after the three months, is there still a risk key workers could still carry the illness and restart the pandemic again?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The way to deal with this? on 11:21 - Mar 22 with 833 viewsAce_High1

The problem is there are grey areas in regards to key workers.

My company works in utilities so in theory all staff need to work.... engineers out in the field, but then you need the admin team to be working to support the engineers and so on. There will be so many people still working and going about their business.

It's an impossible situation, we just need a complete shutdown for a period of time.
The way to deal with this? on 11:27 - Mar 22 with 813 viewsvapour_trail

No,

The world is at different points in the curve, Africa and SE Asia, for example, has hardly taken a hit yet. Borders should be closed, IMO, until this has worked its way around the globe.

The exemptions you describe are reasonable but won’t cover everything and will ultimately involve a significant number of people who will keep the virus moving in the community for a long time.

I believe talk of three and even six months is fanciful.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The way to deal with this? on 11:41 - Mar 22 with 784 viewsBloomBlue

What about those people who dont have access to or know how to buy on line, in your model are those 1000s acceptable deaths?
The way to deal with this? on 12:04 - Mar 22 with 754 viewspointofblue

The way to deal with this? on 11:41 - Mar 22 by BloomBlue

What about those people who dont have access to or know how to buy on line, in your model are those 1000s acceptable deaths?

Is this where social and family networks need to step in - educate those who do to contact family members and neighbours, take their orders, complete it for them?

The way to deal with this? on 12:06 - Mar 22 with 743 viewspointofblue

The way to deal with this? on 11:27 - Mar 22 by vapour_trail

No,

The world is at different points in the curve, Africa and SE Asia, for example, has hardly taken a hit yet. Borders should be closed, IMO, until this has worked its way around the globe.

The exemptions you describe are reasonable but won’t cover everything and will ultimately involve a significant number of people who will keep the virus moving in the community for a long time.

I believe talk of three and even six months is fanciful.

I agree controlling the borders is key; I said self quarantining is a must but possibly closing completely is a necessity until it’s fully over.

The problem is the need for key workers and they can still circulate the virus but I cannot see a way around that, especially as immunity does not seem assured.

The way to deal with this? on 12:16 - Mar 22 with 728 viewsBloomBlue

The way to deal with this? on 12:04 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

Is this where social and family networks need to step in - educate those who do to contact family members and neighbours, take their orders, complete it for them?

Not everyone has any family. I know people find that hard to understand but when you get old (like me) you meet so many old people who have outlived everyone else in their family.

Hopefully neighbours can help, but think about those same old people are constantly told not to hand their credit card details to any stranger, so a helpful neighbour pops round, someone you've never spoken to and they say give me your credit card and I'll order it for you. Dont forget sitting beside them is against social distancing.

They cannot pay in cash because when they have been out to the bank to get cash loads of youngsters moan they aren't staying indoors as Gov recommendations .
The way to deal with this? on 12:18 - Mar 22 with 725 viewsNotSure

The way to deal with this? on 12:06 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

I agree controlling the borders is key; I said self quarantining is a must but possibly closing completely is a necessity until it’s fully over.

The problem is the need for key workers and they can still circulate the virus but I cannot see a way around that, especially as immunity does not seem assured.

You use the term "until it's fully over".

This won't be over until a vaccine has been approved and everyone in the world has had this vaccine. Many, many years time.

Self isolation doesn't stop people dieing of this horrible disease, it just means that they won't die all at once.
The way to deal with this? on 12:20 - Mar 22 with 717 viewspointofblue

The way to deal with this? on 12:18 - Mar 22 by NotSure

You use the term "until it's fully over".

This won't be over until a vaccine has been approved and everyone in the world has had this vaccine. Many, many years time.

Self isolation doesn't stop people dieing of this horrible disease, it just means that they won't die all at once.

Yes, I do think those being quarantined or even borders closed is not a short term thing; it will need to be in place for possibly the 18 months they’re currently predicting to get any semblance of control.

And obviously now the disease is out there it will never be fully eradicated. It’ll be about managing the spread and limiting the deaths, akin to influenza.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 12:21]

Login to get fewer ads

The way to deal with this? on 12:24 - Mar 22 with 696 viewspointofblue

The way to deal with this? on 12:16 - Mar 22 by BloomBlue

Not everyone has any family. I know people find that hard to understand but when you get old (like me) you meet so many old people who have outlived everyone else in their family.

Hopefully neighbours can help, but think about those same old people are constantly told not to hand their credit card details to any stranger, so a helpful neighbour pops round, someone you've never spoken to and they say give me your credit card and I'll order it for you. Dont forget sitting beside them is against social distancing.

They cannot pay in cash because when they have been out to the bank to get cash loads of youngsters moan they aren't staying indoors as Gov recommendations .

And then they have to go out to shop so would get cash then but also mix with the younger generation.

So what’s the solution? Provide monetary support for the likes of Help the Aged who can then be contacted and they can carry out the shopping for those who do not have or feel uncomfortable about leaning on neighbours or family? But then it means more key workers on the street.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024