Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., 12:25 - Mar 22 with 5751 viewsMaySixth

very interested in TWTDers memories of this season - players, games, management, trips, ups and downs

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:32 - Mar 22 with 3179 viewsWD19

The tangerine shirt was a classic.

And I didn’t get to go to the promotion party game because my dad took my sister instead.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:49 - Mar 22 with 3161 viewsgainsboroughblue

Blowing a 3-0 lead on the opening day at Bristol Rovers.
Narrowly beating Port Vale the following Tuesday in front of 8,000 people.
Going top of the table then being schooled by Glenn Hoddle and Swindon.
Going up to Newcastle on a Tuesday night in the midst of the Benwell riots.
Comical penalty shoot out v Luton in ZDS Cup
Hiding in the Hare and Hounds toilet as Cambridge fans rearranged the inside of pub.
Super Duper David.
Beating Blackburn over the Christmas period.
People cashing in on Dozzell being first goalscorer at Millwall at 16-1.
A bloke in the North Stand clearing the terrace v Bournemouth deciding he was going to take a slash.
5-2 v Pompey.
My Sunday league team kicking off at 8am so we could get to the Liverpool cup tie.
Johnson's header in the replay.
Warky's ovation in the replay.
Some Plymouth player suffering an horrendous injury as Kiwomya scored.
A ridiculous equaliser given against us at Cambridge which saw the ref pelted with batteries and coins.
5 match winning run that saw us go clear at the top.
That comeback against Newcastle and the pitch invasions.
Thompson's winner at Southend. 'He didn't need support at all. He's got the winner'.
Making a right meal of sealing promotion at Sunderland, Bristol City and at home to Grimsby.
Obviously that day at Oxford.
Brighton's pink kit and relegating them a year after they taunted us after their own pitch invasion.
The last season of standing and swaying in the North.
The season highlights video music.
The season highlights videos various pronunciations of 'Kiwomya'.
Drinking in Blackadder and the Boardwalk with the players.
£1.50 a pint.
Having a smoke in the pub.
Tangerine Away Kit.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:53 - Mar 22 with 3136 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:49 - Mar 22 by gainsboroughblue

Hiding in the Hare and Hounds toilet as Cambridge fans rearranged the inside of pub.
Super Duper David.
A bloke in the North Stand clearing the terrace v Bournemouth deciding he was going to take a slash.
5-2 v Pompey.
My Sunday league team kicking off at 8am so we could get to the Liverpool cup tie.
A ridiculous equaliser given against us at Cambridge which saw the ref pelted with batteries and coins.
Thompson's winner at Southend. 'He didn't need support at all. He's got the winner'.
Making a right meal of sealing promotion at Sunderland, Bristol City and at home to Grimsby.
Brighton's pink kit and relegating them a year after they taunted us after their own pitch invasion.
£1.50 a pint.
Tangerine Away Kit.

Magnificent

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 13:32 - Mar 22 with 3103 viewsyesjohn99

Was 9-10 years old for that season. My dad started to take me regular from the start of the 89/90 season, promotion year he took me to every Saturday game home and away starting with the collapse at Twerton Park courtesy of Devon White.

Other than promotion itself away to Liverpool was magic, although at the time being only 9
I didmt fully appreciate it. I always look back at Dozzys goal as the stand out of that game, seems to be talked about much less than Johnsons missile header!

Last game of season my dad decided to run on the pitch before kick off in just his long johns out of the Portman terrace family enclosure.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 13:43 - Mar 22 with 3080 viewsPendejo

Deciding to play Saturday football
Catching the midweek games only - i can be seen at front of the North on the season's highlights video. Purple sweatshirt and baseball cap
Tuning into Orwell at the end of games all across Suffolk
Blackburn Rivers at home, biggest crowd for years... 18,000
Bunking off from playing starting with Derby home and a Dozzell brace, Newcastle home
Going to Bristol City and getting taught a lesson by the teenaged Andy Coleh
Almost crashing my car twice when first Whitton at Watford then Thompson at Southend scored late winners
Grimsby home Dozzell hitting the post
That magnificent day at the Manor Ground
Getting the season's highlights video - sooperdooper Dave and yes that music

All that and being 23 years old

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 13:43 - Mar 22 with 3080 viewsnoggin

I was living in the west country when we played Oxford away. After the game, I had to change trains at Didcott. Fell asleep on the platform and got woken by a BR employee, who told me that the last train had left an hour previously. He said there was a pub with B&B just over the road so I went over, booked in and started drinking again. Next thing I remember is waking up in my room and realising I didn’t have the money to pay. I climbed out the window and down a drainpipe, then had to hide until the first train arrived. To this day, I still don’t know if I had already paid for the room. When I got home,my girlfriend dumped me as I had promised to take her out after the game. Happy days.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 14:16 - Mar 22 with 3043 viewsFtnfwest

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:49 - Mar 22 by gainsboroughblue

Super Duper David.
5-2 v Pompey.
£1.50 a pint.
Tangerine Away Kit.

Remember the unbelievable gale that the first Liverpool game was played in
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 14:59 - Mar 22 with 3003 viewsMaySixth

researching for a book
keep them coming
thanks all

Login to get fewer ads

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:43 - Mar 22 with 2949 viewsITFC_Forever

I could go on for ever.

My favourite season.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:44 - Mar 22 with 2948 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:43 - Mar 22 by ITFC_Forever

I could go on for ever.

My favourite season.

Please do

Can anyone tell me the best place to get the line-ups for each game that season?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:46 - Mar 22 with 2933 viewsIllinoisblue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 14:16 - Mar 22 by Ftnfwest

Remember the unbelievable gale that the first Liverpool game was played in

Yes, ugly ugly weather that day. Cold and howling, swirling wind.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:47 - Mar 22 with 2928 viewsIllinoisblue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:44 - Mar 22 by MaySixth

Please do

Can anyone tell me the best place to get the line-ups for each game that season?

Who’s writing this book, us or you?!!!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:48 - Mar 22 with 2935 viewsPJH

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:44 - Mar 22 by MaySixth

Please do

I have that season open in my copy of "Ipswich Town The Modern Era" by Rob Hadgraft which lists line-ups for both teams involved plus time of goals and a one line summary of each game.

Not sure of a way to get that info on the internet though.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:49 - Mar 22 with 2928 viewsPJH

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:46 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

Yes, ugly ugly weather that day. Cold and howling, swirling wind.

I went for a run the morning of that game, that was hard work.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:49 - Mar 22 with 2926 viewsITFC_Forever

Please do

I will do at some point... need to have a decent run at it to do the season justice.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:49 - Mar 22 with 2922 viewsMaySixth

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:48 - Mar 22 by PJH

I have that season open in my copy of "Ipswich Town The Modern Era" by Rob Hadgraft which lists line-ups for both teams involved plus time of goals and a one line summary of each game.

Not sure of a way to get that info on the internet though.

Thanks

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 15:56 - Mar 22 with 2904 viewsParisBlue

Was a student in Newcastle so only saw a few games:

Sunderland (h) 0-1 (the night Maxwell died so not all bad)
Middlesboro (a) 0-1
Sunderland (a). 0-3 (in torrential rain)

TWTD

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Here....? on 15:59 - Mar 22 with 2902 viewsBloots

Please do

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1372&season_id=152&teamTabs=res

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:10 - Mar 22 with 2880 viewsblueysbackside

A particular fave was the Ray Stewart testimonial game played at West Ham after the season had ended. I remember nothing of the game. However, at the end all the West Ham fans decided to run onto the pitch. Well, when in Rome....I didn’t know what I was doing but I ended up face to face with Chris Kiwomya. ‘Hey, Chris, can I have your shirt?’. ‘Sure, pal.’ And he took it off and gave it to me. It was a long sleeved tangerine shirt with 11 on the back and all the relevant patching. Splendid.

Also I seem to recall going the 5-2 home game v Portsmouth (featuring Darren Anderton) in a bid to get TWO tickets for the Liverpool cup tie. If I recall correctly, only one ticket for the cup tie was available per person through the turnstile. I ended up making up some nonsense that I had forgotten this was the case and was able to get another ticket - having already pocketed one. It still haunts me to this day as I probably deprived a fan the chance to go to the game. Sorry. I deserve to be punished
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:13 - Mar 22 with 2871 viewsblueysbackside

Super Duper David.
5-2 v Pompey.
£1.50 a pint.
Tangerine Away Kit.

Didn’t Marcus Stewart face us when we played Bristol Rovers? Devon White scored for them? Yes I was on Dozzell at 16-1, too. Happy days. And wasn’t Magilton playing for Oxford in the 1-1 game? Did we have John Moncur and Ian Walker on loan for a period, too. And in our squad was someone called Darren Edmonds?
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:15 - Mar 22 with 2870 viewsblueysbackside

Also wasn’t that when Bryan Knights’s soccerline was all the rage. I am sure I kept ringing it up during the 0-0 game v grimsby (?) when we were pushing for promotion.
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:18 - Mar 22 with 2862 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 12:32 - Mar 22 by WD19

The tangerine shirt was a classic.

And I didn’t get to go to the promotion party game because my dad took my sister instead.

The home kit was a classic as well, I recently bought the Copa remake and it's well worth 40 notes.

We wore both the blue and tangerine for three seasons, shame clubs don't do that nowadays. We also had a white and blue kit that season which was a beauty as well.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:19 - Mar 22 with 2858 viewsblueysbackside

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:15 - Mar 22 by blueysbackside

Also wasn’t that when Bryan Knights’s soccerline was all the rage. I am sure I kept ringing it up during the 0-0 game v grimsby (?) when we were pushing for promotion.

Also....I am sure we were grateful to David Lowe for us going up. Didn’t he go on loan somewhere and ended up scoring against one or two of the teams who were fighting us for promotion?
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:23 - Mar 22 with 2857 viewsblueysbackside

Just had a quick look at the results that season. Pretty sure I was at the 2-1 home defeat v Cambridge. Pretty sure they had a certain Dion Dublin up front alongside Steve Claridge with his socks around his ankles. And didn’t former Blue Michael Cheetham play for them, too? Their manager John Beck was quite a character - cold showers and all that
Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:56 - Mar 22 with 2820 viewsgainsboroughblue

Your memories please of the 1991-1992 title winning season.., on 16:13 - Mar 22 by blueysbackside

Didn’t Marcus Stewart face us when we played Bristol Rovers? Devon White scored for them? Yes I was on Dozzell at 16-1, too. Happy days. And wasn’t Magilton playing for Oxford in the 1-1 game? Did we have John Moncur and Ian Walker on loan for a period, too. And in our squad was someone called Darren Edmonds?

Yep. I think it was Stewart's league debut in fact. Magilton indeed played for Oxford and scored in the home and away game for them.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024