Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The homophobes are out in full force now 15:24 - Mar 22 with 3665 viewsmonytowbray

Because a gay pride event at THE START OF THE MONTH has been linked to 9 potential cases. So obviously it was very irresponsible of the LBGTQ community to host an event 2 weeks before anything was cancelled. Also people comparing it to HIV.

Vile.

If this is how we are dealing with things though, it’s okay for me to hate fans of the Stereophonics right? Because they hosted 3 packed out gigs the weekend everything was literally being called off. And also I hated the Stereophonics anyway.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:44 - Mar 22 with 3580 viewsWeWereZombies

'But it only takes one tree to make
A thousand matches
Only takes one match to burn
A thousand trees'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:52 - Mar 22 with 3531 viewsPJH

The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:44 - Mar 22 by WeWereZombies

A thousand matches
A thousand trees'

That's good, did you just make that up?

Sorry to drift away from the point of OP.
The homophobes are out in full force now on 16:05 - Mar 22 with 3508 viewsuefacup81

The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:52 - Mar 22 by PJH

Stereophonics innit.

(Which, in turn, they took from the back of a box of England's Glory matches).

[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:07]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 16:14 - Mar 22 with 3466 viewsPJH

The homophobes are out in full force now on 16:05 - Mar 22 by uefacup81

Stereophonics innit.

(Which, in turn, they took from the back of a box of England's Glory matches).

[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:07]

Thank you-if it had been written in the 1960's I would probably have identified it but 1997 possibly a bit too modern for me.
The homophobes are out in full force now on 16:14 - Mar 22 with 3467 viewsWeWereZombies

The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:52 - Mar 22 by PJH

Winner of today's lyric quiz is uefacup81

It's not drifting off topic really as the lyrics deal with the denigration of a local football hero when rumours start to spread, not that I should equate homosexuality with paedophilia. But a second meaning is now apparent with the spread of the virus and people resisting the lockdown being the one match that can burn a thousand trees. More on the story behind the song here:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stereophonics-a-thousand-trees-lyrics-song-meanin

There is possibly a third strand to the meaning, a Welsh band finding something dodgy on the back of 'England's Glory'...

The homophobes are out in full force now on 16:22 - Mar 22 with 3430 viewsuefacup81

The homophobes are out in full force now on 16:14 - Mar 22 by WeWereZombies

Winner of today's lyric quiz is uefacup81

It's not drifting off topic really as the lyrics deal with the denigration of a local football hero when rumours start to spread, not that I should equate homosexuality with paedophilia. But a second meaning is now apparent with the spread of the virus and people resisting the lockdown being the one match that can burn a thousand trees. More on the story behind the song here:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stereophonics-a-thousand-trees-lyrics-song-meanin

There is possibly a third strand to the meaning, a Welsh band finding something dodgy on the back of 'England's Glory'...

I think, lyrically, it's fascinating and so darned prescient.

You have the examples such as the one discussed in the NME article where a reputation is quite rightly torn apart, then on the other side you have the likes of Matthew Kelly who lose everything they have off the back of one false accusation.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 18:31 - Mar 22 with 3323 viewsfactual_blue

The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:44 - Mar 22 by WeWereZombies

A thousand matches
A thousand trees'

If you can only make one thousand matches from one tree then either you're making very big matches, or you're using a very small tree.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The homophobes are out in full force now on 19:30 - Mar 22 with 3235 viewsWeWereZombies

The homophobes are out in full force now on 18:31 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

If you can only make one thousand matches from one tree then either you're making very big matches, or you're using a very small tree.

Tsk tsk, more attention to detail needed, young man. The lyric says it only takes one tree - not more than one tree to make a thousand matches and also it does not stipulate that a thousand matches is all you can make from one tree. How would the lyric sound if it went:

It only takes one tree
To make nine thousand, eight hundred and twenty six matches
And it only takes one match
To burn a thousand trees

It's bad enough that there are already nine hundred and ninety nine matches left over unused...

Login to get fewer ads

The homophobes are out in full force now on 19:56 - Mar 22 with 3188 viewsjeera

Or some very big matches.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 20:19 - Mar 22 with 3136 viewsPJH

The homophobes are out in full force now on 19:56 - Mar 22 by jeera

Or some very big matches.

We had some very big matches but we did not win any of them.
The homophobes are out in full force now on 20:21 - Mar 22 with 3131 viewsSwansea_Blue

The homophobes are out in full force now on 19:30 - Mar 22 by WeWereZombies

Tsk tsk, more attention to detail needed, young man. The lyric says it only takes one tree - not more than one tree to make a thousand matches and also it does not stipulate that a thousand matches is all you can make from one tree. How would the lyric sound if it went:

It only takes one tree
To make nine thousand, eight hundred and twenty six matches
And it only takes one match
To burn a thousand trees

It's bad enough that there are already nine hundred and ninety nine matches left over unused...

I bet you could burn more that a thousand trees with one match too. Think of those Aussie wildfires before Christmas; they were covering massive areas yet would have started with a point source.

They didn’t really think it through did they?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 20:33 - Mar 22 with 3082 viewsHerbivore

Didn't this all start because someone slept with a bi-curious pangolin?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 23:03 - Mar 22 with 2942 viewsMattinLondon

The homophobes are out in full force now on 20:33 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

Didn't this all start because someone slept with a bi-curious pangolin?

To be fair I used a condom so you can’t blame me for the current situation
The homophobes are out in full force now on 10:12 - Mar 23 with 2755 viewsWeWereZombies

The homophobes are out in full force now on 23:03 - Mar 22 by MattinLondon

I am more concerned with whether the pangolin gave consent.

To come back to the OP by callis; I wonder if the 'concerned citizens' making a noise about an event at the start of this month will be as vociferous (with praise) about the London Pride event at the end of June being cancelled by the organisers with plenty of advance warning?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52001388
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 10:16]

The homophobes are out in full force now on 10:16 - Mar 23 with 2742 viewsKeno

doesn't it depend on if the tree is far away?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The homophobes are out in full force now on 10:17 - Mar 23 with 2736 viewsKeno

The homophobes are out in full force now on 23:03 - Mar 22 by MattinLondon

depends what you used the condom for

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The homophobes are out in full force now on 10:21 - Mar 23 with 2720 viewsSwansea_Blue

The homophobes are out in full force now on 10:17 - Mar 23 by Keno

depends what you used the condom for

Matt^^ Def info

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The homophobes are out in full force now on 14:58 - Mar 23 with 2625 viewsBluearmy71

The only possible comparison between AIDS/HIV and CORONAVIRUS could be that they were/are both man made, the latter as yet to be a proven fact but it would not surprise me one little bit, time will tell!
The homophobes are out in full force now on 15:18 - Mar 23 with 2603 viewsm14_blue

The homophobes are out in full force now on 14:58 - Mar 23 by Bluearmy71

The only possible comparison between AIDS/HIV and CORONAVIRUS could be that they were/are both man made, the latter as yet to be a proven fact but it would not surprise me one little bit, time will tell!

Nice one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024