Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus 16:11 - Mar 22 with 6394 viewsBluesquid

"The country's high death toll is due to an ageing population, overstretched health system and the way fatalities are reported."

"Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities."

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus."

"“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavi
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:18 - Mar 22 with 4170 viewsStokieBlue

Can I ask why you are on a drive to downplay Covid-19?

So far you've posted a false equivalence to flu in Italy, then complained about the mortality rate being overestimated when everyone already knows the shortcomings in the calculation and now this?

Who really cares if it's overestimated? Have you seen the pictures of people ignoring the advice to socially distance? Frankly you playing it down doesn't help - what if someone takes you at face value, goes out and infects others and someone dies?

Also that article isn't conclusive - he specifically says "may" in his quote and it's also known that deaths at home and in care homes aren't tested for C-19 which may effect things the other way. It probably is being overestimated but it doesn't really matter at the moment.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:24]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:31 - Mar 22 with 4114 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:18 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Can I ask why you are on a drive to downplay Covid-19?

So far you've posted a false equivalence to flu in Italy, then complained about the mortality rate being overestimated when everyone already knows the shortcomings in the calculation and now this?

Who really cares if it's overestimated? Have you seen the pictures of people ignoring the advice to socially distance? Frankly you playing it down doesn't help - what if someone takes you at face value, goes out and infects others and someone dies?

Also that article isn't conclusive - he specifically says "may" in his quote and it's also known that deaths at home and in care homes aren't tested for C-19 which may effect things the other way. It probably is being overestimated but it doesn't really matter at the moment.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:24]

Did i say it was conclusive? No, i didn't.

I said it was an interesting article, although it may not be for you, there are many other posters who might find it interesting and you don't speak for them so please give it a rest.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:34 - Mar 22 with 4096 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:31 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

I said it was an interesting article, although it may not be for you, there are many other posters who might find it interesting and you don't speak for them so please give it a rest.

Everything you've posted about C-19 has been to downplay it.

You've not answered why.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:34]

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:36 - Mar 22 with 4077 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Good job we don't have an ageing population and an over-stretched health system then isn't it?

Why does it matter whether coronavirus is recorded as the reason on the death certificate when the victim has died from asphyxiation or pneumonia (both caused by the virus)?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:38 - Mar 22 with 4067 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:34 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Everything you've posted about C-19 has been to downplay it.

You've not answered why.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:34]

Really?

Remember this from a couple a weeks ago?

"I haven't tried to derail this thread and for the record i'm as worried as the next person about the Corona virus and firmly believe that we should listen to those that know best, ie the experts."

That is not downplaying it.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:43 - Mar 22 with 4041 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:38 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

Really?

"I haven't tried to derail this thread and for the record i'm as worried as the next person about the Corona virus and firmly believe that we should listen to those that know best, ie the experts."

Yet you posted a false equivalence about the flu just the other day attempting to trivialise the Italian outbreak as you are doing here.

You posted that but you've not acted on it - in fact you've done the opposite and you've still not said why.

SB

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:47 - Mar 22 with 4020 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:43 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Yet you posted a false equivalence about the flu just the other day attempting to trivialise the Italian outbreak as you are doing here.

You posted that but you've not acted on it - in fact you've done the opposite and you've still not said why.

SB

"Everything you've posted about C-19 has been to downplay it."

Which i have just proven to be completely untrue, i'll take my apology now then.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:48 - Mar 22 with 4011 viewsBloomBlue

Italy has one of the best health services in Europe, no health service in the world even the Swiss one is struggling would be built to withstand this situation.
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:52 - Mar 22 with 3998 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:47 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

Which i have just proven to be completely untrue, i'll take my apology now then.

Cherry picking. You posted one vague response which you've posted saying we should listen to experts - that's hugely offset by most of your other posts on the subject.

Counter to that you've posted an entire thread citing a false equivalence to flu. You also try to dismiss the severity on another thread via overestimated mortality rates.

You'll get no apology from me - posting like you do is why some people don't take it seriously.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:53]

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:00 - Mar 22 with 3956 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:52 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Cherry picking. You posted one vague response which you've posted saying we should listen to experts - that's hugely offset by most of your other posts on the subject.

Counter to that you've posted an entire thread citing a false equivalence to flu. You also try to dismiss the severity on another thread via overestimated mortality rates.

You'll get no apology from me - posting like you do is why some people don't take it seriously.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 16:53]

But you said "everything" which is simply not true is it?

I made it quite clear that i am worried and said that we should listen to the experts but you want to disregard that comment completely and write it off in order now to save face and worm your way out and not be proven wrong.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:05 - Mar 22 with 3937 viewsWD19

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:00 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

I made it quite clear that i am worried and said that we should listen to the experts but you want to disregard that comment completely and write it off in order now to save face and worm your way out and not be proven wrong.

OK, so would it be fairer to say that taken in the round you have been being a bit of a dick then?

Does that pass the fact check?
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:08 - Mar 22 with 3923 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:05 - Mar 22 by WD19

OK, so would it be fairer to say that taken in the round you have been being a bit of a dick then?

Does that pass the fact check?

Saying that i am worried about the Coronavirus and that we should listen to the experts makes me a bit of a dick?

Ok boss.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:20 - Mar 22 with 3894 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:00 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

You really are a total tool.

Clinging to semantics and trying to support that with a single post as evidence against the wealth of evidence of you downplaying the issues.

It's clearly not just me who has this opinion of your behaviour recently. You are part of the problem.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 17:21]

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:29 - Mar 22 with 3866 viewseireblue

This is the last paragraph in the article.

Based on Italy’s experience, there is a real concern for the UK,” adds Prof McKee. “Compared to almost every other European country we have a relative shortage of ventilators and medical staff.”

Maybe that is the pertinent thing to take from the article.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:30 - Mar 22 with 3856 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:20 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

You really are a total tool.

Clinging to semantics and trying to support that with a single post as evidence against the wealth of evidence of you downplaying the issues.

It's clearly not just me who has this opinion of your behaviour recently. You are part of the problem.

SB
[Post edited 22 Mar 2020 17:21]

Oh dear.

Name calling and playing the "others on the forum" ruse which you are most famous for, straight out of "The StokieBlue Big Book Of Bullying Vol1".

Please, continue...
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:32 - Mar 22 with 3855 viewsHurleyBurley

I read this earlier in the week:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-vir

It's got some startling statistics from a reputable source which flies in the face of current alarmism.

I don't think you're down-playing a crisis situation really. It's far better to be informed of reality than ramp up the fear in whole societies based on worst case scenario speculation or limited mathematical models.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:35 - Mar 22 with 3843 viewsHurleyBurley

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:38 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

Really?

The ISS are Italy's health experts. Thanks for posting their findings - after all, aren't we supposed to be just 2 or 3 weeks behind them?

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:45 - Mar 22 with 3802 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:35 - Mar 22 by HurleyBurley

The ISS are Italy's health experts. Thanks for posting their findings - after all, aren't we supposed to be just 2 or 3 weeks behind them?

Np, yes they are Italy's health experts but im beginning to lose faith in them tbh, i dunno really, just feels like they are downplaying the whole crisis with their official statistics and findings.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:52 - Mar 22 with 3777 viewsHurleyBurley

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:45 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

Np, yes they are Italy's health experts but im beginning to lose faith in them tbh, i dunno really, just feels like they are downplaying the whole crisis with their official statistics and findings.

Not sure you should be making light of the fact that 100's of Italians with an average age of 79.9 are dying with coronavirus and a history of multiple other serious health conditions.

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:55 - Mar 22 with 3767 viewsWD19

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:45 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

The issue is not the experts and their facts, it is how some people interpret and apply them. That’s where it becomes potentially dangerous.

i.e. The fact the mortality rate in Italy might be <8% = Its not as serious as first thought = I don’t need to social distance.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:57 - Mar 22 with 3759 viewssparks

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:31 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

The question was not "why did you say it was conclusive".

It was about why your constant refrain is to play it down.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 18:03 - Mar 22 with 3732 viewsEdwardStone

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 16:47 - Mar 22 by Bluesquid

Div listed
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 18:05 - Mar 22 with 3725 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:57 - Mar 22 by sparks

The question was not "why did you say it was conclusive".

It was about why your constant refrain is to play it down.

Read BullyBlue's first post in this thread - "Also that article isn't conclusive - he specifically says "may" in his quote".

I never said the article was conclusive i said it was interesting which i am sure it is for many.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 18:07 - Mar 22 with 3717 viewsBluesquid

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 18:03 - Mar 22 by EdwardStone

Div listed

Ok boss.
Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 18:08 - Mar 22 with 3715 viewsHurleyBurley

Interesting article in The Telegraph re Italy and the coronavirus on 17:55 - Mar 22 by WD19

The issue is not the experts and their facts, it is how some people interpret and apply them. That’s where it becomes potentially dangerous.

i.e. The fact the mortality rate in Italy might be <8% = Its not as serious as first thought = I don’t need to social distance.

I'm not sure that keeping anxiety levels sky-high is good for public health either. My parents are in their 80's and live in Suffolk. I've just called my mum to wish her happy Mothers' Day and she's a bit of an anxious wreck at the moment. Neither my mum or dad believed the reports coming from Italy and prefer to live a life of fear in isolation.

The stress caused by the fear of possible imminent death is not good for anyone, least of all the elderly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024