Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre booked Holidays for later in the year 05:42 - Mar 23 with 5162 viewstextbackup

i'm sure many of us already have these booked, paid for, in the process of paying for..... what are you currently doing about yours?

We have 2 more payments left on our holiday to Gran Canaria - late July. Personally I don't see it going ahead, so i'm thinking cancel the DD and swallow the two payments already made.
wife says to carry on the booking as Tui might offer to move it for another date etc, we do have yearly travel insurance, but I can see them having a get out in there somewhere.

in the grand scheme of things its really very low on the list of things to worry about I know, but just wondering what other TWTDers were in the same boat as I

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 05:55 - Mar 23 with 3330 viewsbrogansnose

Parents are meant to be going to Turkey in June and they've been told that they will get a credit note if its cancelled. You may well get cover from paying on a credit card if you haven't got cancellation cover on your travel insurance. I'm meant to be going to France in June but I can't see that happening but wifey reckons we've got cancellation cover with our insurance whether we have to wait until the flights are cancelled or not I don't know. Struggling to see how any of us will get a holiday this year.
Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:01 - Mar 23 with 3317 viewstextbackup

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 05:55 - Mar 23 by brogansnose

Parents are meant to be going to Turkey in June and they've been told that they will get a credit note if its cancelled. You may well get cover from paying on a credit card if you haven't got cancellation cover on your travel insurance. I'm meant to be going to France in June but I can't see that happening but wifey reckons we've got cancellation cover with our insurance whether we have to wait until the flights are cancelled or not I don't know. Struggling to see how any of us will get a holiday this year.

its typical that we didn't even have one booked until the start of jan, as mate is getting married abroad in sept so we were just going to have that as a holiday....
so now it looks as though both could go tits up.

but like I say, its way down the list of worries really. and even if travel restrictions are loosened id still feel a bit nervous on a packed plane all sharing that lovely dirty air

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:15 - Mar 23 with 3263 viewsbrogansnose

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:01 - Mar 23 by textbackup

its typical that we didn't even have one booked until the start of jan, as mate is getting married abroad in sept so we were just going to have that as a holiday....
so now it looks as though both could go tits up.

but like I say, its way down the list of worries really. and even if travel restrictions are loosened id still feel a bit nervous on a packed plane all sharing that lovely dirty air

Right here and now, I'm happy to be at home with restictions than away with restictions and a holiday isn't top of my bothered about list atm.
Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:29 - Mar 23 with 3233 viewsElderGrizzly

You’ve booked a package, so you are covered for a full refund if it doesn’t go ahead.

The main advice is let the company make the first move, not you.
Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:29 - Mar 23 with 3240 viewsWeekender

My wife works in travel and the situation changes dialy almost. At this point all the industry is worrying about is getting people home.

If you fail to pay the remaining payments you will breach the contract with Tui and they might then be able to scrap your holiday without giving a refund.

If you pay and FCO advice in July is not to travel then you'll be entitled to refund or rebooking. Lots of tour operators and airlines are trying to force people to take credit (for obvious reasons) but check T&Cs if a refund is what you want.

If FCO advice is you can travel in July but you decide not to then you'll have to take the hit.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:29 - Mar 23 with 3232 viewsbluelagos

Most of the stuff I do I book myslef. Hotels are mainly refundable, ferries and tunnel not.

Thus far, ferries and tunnel have allowed me to move them, Brittany charged me, they now do so for free. But I cant move over a year ahead. So my Euro2020 trip to Copenhagen I will maybe need to move twice?

My cycling one is the one that is a package, have paid mon refundable deposit. If I lose the deposit, so be it. Gets much harder as you get closer cos then you have to pay the full whack and what if they go bust inbetween? As that point I'll be reading the fine print, checking my travel insurance and seeing if they are Abta covered etc. before paying the rest.

Would imagine Glassers would be a bit of an expert on this given that is his job and he'-ll be busy sorting out refunds and/or claims for a load of his customers atm.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:37 - Mar 23 with 3208 viewstextbackup

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:29 - Mar 23 by Weekender

My wife works in travel and the situation changes dialy almost. At this point all the industry is worrying about is getting people home.

If you fail to pay the remaining payments you will breach the contract with Tui and they might then be able to scrap your holiday without giving a refund.

If you pay and FCO advice in July is not to travel then you'll be entitled to refund or rebooking. Lots of tour operators and airlines are trying to force people to take credit (for obvious reasons) but check T&Cs if a refund is what you want.

If FCO advice is you can travel in July but you decide not to then you'll have to take the hit.

many thanks for the advice.

as I say, the money hit wouldn't be great, but (and as ive said many times) I feel so very lucky that i'm going to be paid through this whole ordeal) so I fully appreciate my own situation would be nothing compared to others.

if they gave credit then happy days, even if that be 50% or so. its nobodies fault all of this.

your wife must be pretty hectic right now

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:37 - Mar 23 with 3204 viewstextbackup

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 06:29 - Mar 23 by ElderGrizzly

You’ve booked a package, so you are covered for a full refund if it doesn’t go ahead.

The main advice is let the company make the first move, not you.

thank you

Login to get fewer ads

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 07:10 - Mar 23 with 3129 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

As others have said don’t do that under any circumstances, you need to continue to pay

If you pay and they cancel the holiday you’ll be entitled to your money back (or to rearrange if preferred), however if you stop payments you will in effect be defaulting and therefore entitled to nothing

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 07:20 - Mar 23 with 3096 viewsHerbivore

Definitely don't cancel the direct debit, continue paying and either the holiday will happen or you'll get a refund
If you stop the direct debit you'll get northing.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 08:37 - Mar 23 with 2975 viewsitfcjoe

Probably best to speak to insurers ASAP to see policy, often you need to fololow everything through to get the money.

We had a note from our insurers last week saying that anything booked prior to this is covered, but if you were to book anything now it wouldn't be as Coronavirus was unknown previously but that isn't the case now.

I've got Center Parcs in a few weeks for my birthday which will no doubt be cancelled, hopefully we get a refund as had a good deal on it and if they give us a credit instead will get f*ck all back, and Madeira flying between Xmas and New Year so may have settled down by then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 08:48 - Mar 23 with 2951 viewstextbackup

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 08:37 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Probably best to speak to insurers ASAP to see policy, often you need to fololow everything through to get the money.

We had a note from our insurers last week saying that anything booked prior to this is covered, but if you were to book anything now it wouldn't be as Coronavirus was unknown previously but that isn't the case now.

I've got Center Parcs in a few weeks for my birthday which will no doubt be cancelled, hopefully we get a refund as had a good deal on it and if they give us a credit instead will get f*ck all back, and Madeira flying between Xmas and New Year so may have settled down by then

Yeah I got an email along the same lines about anything booked after May 16th (I think) wouldn’t be covered.
So should be ok really...

Ta for all the above replies

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 08:58 - Mar 23 with 2912 viewsFoD_Blue

We have two weeks in Florida booked for the start of May. That obviously is almost certainly not going to happen now. Booked via Expedia and took out their insurance (Via AIG) at the time. The terms of the insurance say that it covers for pandemics, so should be OK to get most of our money back.
We have tickets for a festival at Daytona Speedway which we were really looking forward to, with Metallica and Disturbed as headliners. So far, that has not been cancelled/postponed, but I am sure they will do, which means that we should be able to claim back for that.
All the parks in Florida are currently closed, so again should be able to get refunded for those too if they are still closed when we are due to travel. The hotels that we booked do not cover cancellations, so if the insurance doesn't cough up for them, we will lose what we paid for those, unless they are forced to close.

Very disappointing to lose the holiday which we have been looking forward to for a long time, but at the end of the day, we should be able to re-book some time, and there are a lot of people in a far worse position than we are.
Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 09:27 - Mar 23 with 2855 viewsPinewoodblue

Booked Hotels, Flights, Cruise(via company that chartered ship) drinks packages etc, car parking all individually,.

Hotels - full refund to credit card, even if booked on a no refund basis (Hilton)
Flights - credit note for full amount, useable against identical flight, if flight is more expensive nothing extra to pay (Virgin Atlantic)
Cruise- full credit note, eventually, but they arrange less than 10 a year., valid to 32/12/21
Drinks package etc - full refund to credit card (made a good profit as £ tanked against$) Celebrity
Car parking full refund to credit card.

My next credit card statement will show a negative amount due

Have already paid deposit ($1000) for similar cruise next year. They are hoping to reschedule this years cruise for November.

Check website of tour operator most clearly state their policy with regards to Covid-19.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 09:29 - Mar 23 with 2850 viewsKieran_Knows

We've booked to go Turkey at the end of May (I have seen EasyJet have now cancelled all flights there). We only paid a deposit at the start of January, and have to pay the remaining balance by this Saturday. It's quite clear we won't be going, so not sure what else to do? Either swallow the £120 deposit, or look to book for another time?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 09:34 - Mar 23 with 2834 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 09:29 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

We've booked to go Turkey at the end of May (I have seen EasyJet have now cancelled all flights there). We only paid a deposit at the start of January, and have to pay the remaining balance by this Saturday. It's quite clear we won't be going, so not sure what else to do? Either swallow the £120 deposit, or look to book for another time?

Package deal or have you booked flights/accom separately? Assuming the former and ATOL protected pay - as per advice earlier in the thread you won’t get anything back if you default but will be refunded if the provider cancels the trip

If not ATOL protected then check with insurance - but you’ll need to have explored avenues with the booking agent and credit card provider (if relevant) first. Note that getting through to insurance atm is likely to be a nightmare given volumes

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:08 - Mar 23 with 2781 viewsKieran_Knows

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 09:34 - Mar 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Package deal or have you booked flights/accom separately? Assuming the former and ATOL protected pay - as per advice earlier in the thread you won’t get anything back if you default but will be refunded if the provider cancels the trip

If not ATOL protected then check with insurance - but you’ll need to have explored avenues with the booking agent and credit card provider (if relevant) first. Note that getting through to insurance atm is likely to be a nightmare given volumes

It was a package deal with EasyJet, the whole lot. Yes, it is also ATOL protected. Would I still need to pay it all off this weekend before receiving the money back? Just seems a tad pointless to me as I know they have cancelled all flights there at the moment (although I did receive an email this morning reminding me I need to pay before the weekend).

I took out a years insurance last year when we went May (around the 10th May), and was just going to let it automatically renew nearer the time as we wasn't going until the 27th May this year, so presume I'm knackered either way with it?

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:28 - Mar 23 with 2739 viewsHerbivore

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:08 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

It was a package deal with EasyJet, the whole lot. Yes, it is also ATOL protected. Would I still need to pay it all off this weekend before receiving the money back? Just seems a tad pointless to me as I know they have cancelled all flights there at the moment (although I did receive an email this morning reminding me I need to pay before the weekend).

I took out a years insurance last year when we went May (around the 10th May), and was just going to let it automatically renew nearer the time as we wasn't going until the 27th May this year, so presume I'm knackered either way with it?

You need to pay. If you don't pay you've breached your contract with them and will lose what you've paid and won't see a penny back. At the moment both parties need to work on the presumption it will go ahead and then if/when they cancel you'll be entitled to your money back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:35 - Mar 23 with 2724 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:08 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

If it’s an ATOL protected package deal and they cancel then you’ll get a full refund. If you cease payments then you will in effect be cancelling the trip yourself when it’s currently still going ahead, so you’ll get nothing

Agree it’s a bit silly to have to pay now only to subsequently get a refund however EasyJet will currently be taking the view that FCO advice was put in place for 30 days and trips in May are BAU. Only other option could be to contact EasyJet now but they’ll almost certainly say the trip is on and you need to pay, so likely to be a waste of time

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:43 - Mar 23 with 2707 viewsKieran_Knows

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:35 - Mar 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If it’s an ATOL protected package deal and they cancel then you’ll get a full refund. If you cease payments then you will in effect be cancelling the trip yourself when it’s currently still going ahead, so you’ll get nothing

Agree it’s a bit silly to have to pay now only to subsequently get a refund however EasyJet will currently be taking the view that FCO advice was put in place for 30 days and trips in May are BAU. Only other option could be to contact EasyJet now but they’ll almost certainly say the trip is on and you need to pay, so likely to be a waste of time

Thanks Healy & Herb, appreciate the feedback and advice.

How does the insurance work in this case? We will receive full refund if all flights to Turkey are grounded but we don't have insurance in place (as I say, I do have insurance up until around the 10th May, but we're not going until the 27th this year).

Sorry for question after question!

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:45 - Mar 23 with 2698 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:43 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

Thanks Healy & Herb, appreciate the feedback and advice.

How does the insurance work in this case? We will receive full refund if all flights to Turkey are grounded but we don't have insurance in place (as I say, I do have insurance up until around the 10th May, but we're not going until the 27th this year).

Sorry for question after question!

Depends on the insurer and cover purchased, however it shouldn’t be relevant as insurance will only kick in if costs are covered by the tour operator or credit card and you should be sorted by the former in this case. It certainly won’t cover you if you stop the payments
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 10:46]

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:50 - Mar 23 with 2671 viewsKieran_Knows

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 10:45 - Mar 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Depends on the insurer and cover purchased, however it shouldn’t be relevant as insurance will only kick in if costs are covered by the tour operator or credit card and you should be sorted by the former in this case. It certainly won’t cover you if you stop the payments
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 10:46]

If we decide to pay the rest up, which I think we will, we will definitely put the rest on credit card.

Really appreciate the help, cheers.

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 11:07 - Mar 23 with 2642 viewsPinewoodblue

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 09:27 - Mar 23 by Pinewoodblue

Booked Hotels, Flights, Cruise(via company that chartered ship) drinks packages etc, car parking all individually,.

Hotels - full refund to credit card, even if booked on a no refund basis (Hilton)
Flights - credit note for full amount, useable against identical flight, if flight is more expensive nothing extra to pay (Virgin Atlantic)
Cruise- full credit note, eventually, but they arrange less than 10 a year., valid to 32/12/21
Drinks package etc - full refund to credit card (made a good profit as £ tanked against$) Celebrity
Car parking full refund to credit card.

My next credit card statement will show a negative amount due

Have already paid deposit ($1000) for similar cruise next year. They are hoping to reschedule this years cruise for November.

Check website of tour operator most clearly state their policy with regards to Covid-19.

Should have added that because not making a claim for cancellation the travel insurer allowed the policy to be transferred, at no cost, to a similar holiday, countries visited, length etc., to another trip.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 12:07 - Mar 23 with 2579 viewsITFC_Forever

We're booked to go to Rhodes in August.

That's obviously quite a way in to the future at the moment, and as it stands, we are still fully intending to go, but if FCO / Government advice suggests we can't, we'll re-arrange it for another time.

More pressing is our May half-term holiday in Cornwall.... the company who own the house have said this morning they are cancelling all bookings up to 22nd May, which is the date we go, so we will see what happens. If they then are happy to uphold our booking, then we will go.... but a couple months at the moment is a long time, so who knows what the situation will be then.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 12:55 - Mar 23 with 2516 viewsElderGrizzly

Pre booked Holidays for later in the year on 08:37 - Mar 23 by itfcjoe

Center Parcs is shut until 16th April and they are refunding anyone going before then.

If you want to rebook instead they are giving you £100 off too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024