Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petition 13:57 - Mar 23 with 2419 viewsGuthrum

For the Government to give more help at this time to freelances and the self-employed, in line with that for employees.

http://tinyurl.com/ra6ebk6

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Petition on 15:16 - Mar 23 with 865 viewsGuthrum

Petition on 15:04 - Mar 23 by StokieBlue

Still playing devils advocate how is someone cleaning hospitals non-stop but taking home less than that going to feel about someone sitting at home and getting more than they do for doing nothing?

I know it has to be done as I said and I do think it should be done ASAP but just playing the devils advocate I haven't really heard this mentioned at all.

SB

That's more a general issue about low pay levels for that sort of worker. After all, there are employees who are getting that much for doing nothing already.

Plus, under the present circumstances, would you want a possibly sick or at risk SE person continuing to work because otherwise their income would drop to zero, with only the hope of getting a reduced rate of UC in six weeks time?

Petition on 15:18 - Mar 23 with 854 viewsBrixtonBlue

Petition on 15:14 - Mar 23 by StokieBlue

I know hence I said that freelancers and self-employed should definitely get something - I've never said otherwise.

I am just putting out there what might be stoked up in the future.

Probably a UBI based system would have been better but I doubt they had time to really consider that. We must get through it the best we can.

SB

Yeah i wasn't saying you did say otherwise. My point was more that whilst cleaners etc. might feel put out, that is the alternative. Surely they would understand that while they feel put out, it's better than dead/homeless people?

There's no easy solution though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Petition on 15:19 - Mar 23 with 858 viewsStokieBlue

Petition on 15:16 - Mar 23 by Guthrum

That's more a general issue about low pay levels for that sort of worker. After all, there are employees who are getting that much for doing nothing already.

Plus, under the present circumstances, would you want a possibly sick or at risk SE person continuing to work because otherwise their income would drop to zero, with only the hope of getting a reduced rate of UC in six weeks time?

I've said people should get support as they definitely should.

I am just pointing out that a decent section of the country are now essentially getting free money whilst a decent section who can still work aren't. I don't have a problem with it but over the longer term some might.

Thought I was pretty clear I was playing devils advocate.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Petition on 15:20 - Mar 23 with 844 viewsPendejo

done

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Petition on 15:21 - Mar 23 with 843 viewsStokieBlue

Petition on 15:18 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah i wasn't saying you did say otherwise. My point was more that whilst cleaners etc. might feel put out, that is the alternative. Surely they would understand that while they feel put out, it's better than dead/homeless people?

Wouldn't UBI have been a solution though?

Flat amount to everyone regardless of circumstances? Coupled with mortgage holidays and some form of rental holidays (this is tricky I know) it would have been enough maybe? Might have also been a way to see if it would work going forward as Labour have proposed.

As you say, there is no easy solution as it stands.

We also have to recognise that it isn't a choice of the people not working not to work - it's been totally forced upon them through no fault of their own.

SB
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 15:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Petition on 15:21 - Mar 23 with 842 viewsBrixtonBlue

Petition on 15:15 - Mar 23 by BloomBlue

It's very complex for self employed and especially those contracting. Now I'm not trying to be rude to anyone and based on a story on the radio last week the IR is about to change the rules again for contractors, however isn't one of the advantages of being a contractor that you don't pay a huge amount of tax it's done via dividends and offsetting expenses?
Not trying to be rude but would looking at HRMC records actually reflect when an individual really needs to earn?

In my experience the advantages/tax breaks are when you declare yourself a limited company. Being a contractor is worse in that regard.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Petition on 15:24 - Mar 23 with 833 viewstractorboy7777

Petition on 15:21 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

In my experience the advantages/tax breaks are when you declare yourself a limited company. Being a contractor is worse in that regard.

In the limited company instance, they could be entitled to the small companies grant i seem to recall seeing last week.

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Petition on 15:30 - Mar 23 with 824 viewsfooters

Petition on 15:18 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

It would take longer to sort out, but perhaps a fair way would be:

- Basic flat rate to start
- Period to submit the last financial year for each freelancer
- Adjustments to the basic rate based on monthly average performance/ % pay set out by government (ie 80% of previous year's av. monthly financials)

Lots more work but I'd say that's fair

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Petition on 15:32 - Mar 23 with 814 viewstractorboy7777

Petition on 15:30 - Mar 23 by footers

It would take longer to sort out, but perhaps a fair way would be:

- Basic flat rate to start
- Period to submit the last financial year for each freelancer
- Adjustments to the basic rate based on monthly average performance/ % pay set out by government (ie 80% of previous year's av. monthly financials)

Lots more work but I'd say that's fair

We may find accountants very busy next month then with the tax year ending 5th April!

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Petition on 15:35 - Mar 23 with 809 viewsGuthrum

Petition on 15:19 - Mar 23 by StokieBlue

I've said people should get support as they definitely should.

I am just pointing out that a decent section of the country are now essentially getting free money whilst a decent section who can still work aren't. I don't have a problem with it but over the longer term some might.

Thought I was pretty clear I was playing devils advocate.

SB

I see what you're saying (I am still working). In normal times I might agree, but these are exceptional circumstances. Either we need to consider self-isolating now, or we don't. There isn't time for complex means tested systems. Or, really, moral judgements on comparitive worth.

I'm just looking for enough to survive on until this is over. £84 per week doesn't cover rent plus utility bills, let alone food and other expenses.

Petition (n/t) on 15:52 - Mar 23 with 783 viewsLeaky

Petition on 16:01 - Mar 23 with 778 viewsLeaky

I put a post on here yesterday regarding my son, who under went a heart & lung transplant, & self employed. He is awaiting confirmation that he will have self isolate for 12 weeks. I contacted my accountant this morning, it appears we were advised a few years ago to set up a Ltd company. It transpires he is a company director as such can claim 80% of his director's salary. I feel this ruling should be applied to all self employed traders.
Petition on 16:03 - Mar 23 with 775 viewsLeaky

Petition on 16:01 - Mar 23 by Leaky

I put a post on here yesterday regarding my son, who under went a heart & lung transplant, & self employed. He is awaiting confirmation that he will have self isolate for 12 weeks. I contacted my accountant this morning, it appears we were advised a few years ago to set up a Ltd company. It transpires he is a company director as such can claim 80% of his director's salary. I feel this ruling should be applied to all self employed traders.

Thanks Broomy99 for you pm
Petition on 16:59 - Mar 23 with 734 viewsBlueByYou

Petition on 14:49 - Mar 23 by portmanking

Fairest way I've seen is to pay 80% of a self-employed professional's average income derived from their last 3 self-assessment returns. Should be quick and easy for HMRC to calculate too.

I'm self employed, and I don't really see the benefit of averaging the past three years. I think 80% of the most recent tax return is fairest (I'm not saying this on the basis I had a particularly good year just past, it's been actually below average).

The reason I wouldn't average three years, is employed people aren't being asked about what they were earning two years ago, or three years ago ... it's based on their job now. Some employed people might have had a better job six months ago, and recently took a worse paid job, and vice versa. Either way they are getting paid 80% of their current setup. I think people mainly need support based on what they've been used to living on recently (80% of my poor year last year, would feel less demeaning for me, than applying for universal credit, and being made to feel second rate to employed people).
Petition on 17:06 - Mar 23 with 725 viewsNotSure

Petition on 16:01 - Mar 23 by Leaky

Except that many accountants will set up PAYE and only pay upto the 20% tax rate, roughtly 12K a year. With a LTD company the rest usually comes along in dividends.
Petition on 17:12 - Mar 23 with 720 viewsLeaky

Petition on 17:06 - Mar 23 by NotSure

Except that many accountants will set up PAYE and only pay upto the 20% tax rate, roughtly 12K a year. With a LTD company the rest usually comes along in dividends.

I get your point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024