Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supermarkets 16:34 - Mar 23 with 3595 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Just read an email from the CEO of Sainsbury's received Saturday.
extract:

'To keep our colleagues safe, I need to ask again for your help. Please do your best to stand one metre away from colleagues in our stores where you can.'

ONLY ONE METRE away where you can and nothing other than please pay by card on the subject of hygiene.

Why aren't the media picking up on the total lack of urgent hygiene initiatives by the supermarkets? It's scandalous.

Supermarkets on 16:38 - Mar 23 with 3543 viewsstrikalite

I'm just going to Sainsbury's now as it happens, I'll see if they've implemented any new changes from Saturday, approaching the checkout etc..
Supermarkets on 17:29 - Mar 23 with 3428 viewssparks

Supermarkets on 16:38 - Mar 23 by strikalite

I'm just going to Sainsbury's now as it happens, I'll see if they've implemented any new changes from Saturday, approaching the checkout etc..

The simplest measure they could take is hand gel at the entrance, and wiping down trolley and basket handles.

No sign of it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Supermarkets on 18:09 - Mar 23 with 3327 viewsstrikalite

Supermarkets on 17:29 - Mar 23 by sparks

The simplest measure they could take is hand gel at the entrance, and wiping down trolley and basket handles.

No sign of it.

Well I'm back and nothing has changed apart from taped lines on the floor leading to checkouts but the distance was only about a metre I'd say....so they've now reduced the possible queue capacity from 10 ish to 5, brilliant.....but it's something I guess...

At the self checkout nothing has changed at all, cleaning the handles of baskets? Err, no....wiping down the touchscreen? Doubt they've even thought about that..

Shelves empty still, that's a given..
Supermarkets on 18:17 - Mar 23 with 3296 viewsPecker

Supermarkets on 18:09 - Mar 23 by strikalite

Well I'm back and nothing has changed apart from taped lines on the floor leading to checkouts but the distance was only about a metre I'd say....so they've now reduced the possible queue capacity from 10 ish to 5, brilliant.....but it's something I guess...

At the self checkout nothing has changed at all, cleaning the handles of baskets? Err, no....wiping down the touchscreen? Doubt they've even thought about that..

Shelves empty still, that's a given..

Why wouldn't they have thought about it? The hand sanitisers were stolen when they put a few up a couple of weeks ago, so haven't bothered replacing them. As for wiping down handles and touch screens, they are far to busy to wipe down things between customers. If it is a problem for you, take your own with you.
Supermarkets on 18:21 - Mar 23 with 3274 viewssparks

Supermarkets on 18:17 - Mar 23 by Pecker

Why wouldn't they have thought about it? The hand sanitisers were stolen when they put a few up a couple of weeks ago, so haven't bothered replacing them. As for wiping down handles and touch screens, they are far to busy to wipe down things between customers. If it is a problem for you, take your own with you.

Its a problem for the whole of our society - not just for me....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Supermarkets on 18:34 - Mar 23 with 3243 viewsjeera

Supermarkets on 18:17 - Mar 23 by Pecker

It is their responsibility though, 100%.

They're providing a profit making facility and there is a duty of care towards their customers.

There was a lady outside Tesco today spraying and wiping the trollies (at last) but still no sanitiser outside. It's difficult to take your own when everywhere has sold out!

I needed fuel and there were no gloves. I had a bag which I put over my hand instead.

Another shout out for a local shop in the village. Cordoned outside so visitors are channeled towards baskets on a table outside that are cleaned after use, complimentary gloves, signs asking people to not be greedy, signs asking for patience and understanding and mutual respect.

The floor is taped inside into zones and people are encouraged to keep one to a zone.

They are delivering to the elderly and vulnerable and if you don't want to enter the premises they will serve you outside.

If everywhere took these measures there would hardly be a problem. Fantastic effort.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Supermarkets on 18:39 - Mar 23 with 3221 viewsElderGrizzly

Supermarkets on 17:29 - Mar 23 by sparks

No sign of it.

Sainsbury’s in Ely are wiping down handles of baskets and trollies every 30 minutes apparently.

I saw a very disinterested girl having a half-hearted clean of the baskets yesterday
Supermarkets on 18:42 - Mar 23 with 3209 viewsstrikalite

Supermarkets on 18:34 - Mar 23 by jeera

They're providing a profit making facility and there is a duty of care towards their customers.

There was a lady outside Tesco today spraying and wiping the trollies (at last) but still no sanitiser outside. It's difficult to take your own when everywhere has sold out!

I needed fuel and there were no gloves. I had a bag which I put over my hand instead.

Another shout out for a local shop in the village. Cordoned outside so visitors are channeled towards baskets on a table outside that are cleaned after use, complimentary gloves, signs asking people to not be greedy, signs asking for patience and understanding and mutual respect.

The floor is taped inside into zones and people are encouraged to keep one to a zone.

They are delivering to the elderly and vulnerable and if you don't want to enter the premises they will serve you outside.

If everywhere took these measures there would hardly be a problem. Fantastic effort.

Agree fantastic effort, Screwfix deserve a mention too, one person at a time, a taped zone too, they fetch your purchase then place it on the counter wearing gloves and you're asked to step forward and collect(only can buy online and collect)...then the staff step back as you step into said zone, that bit made me smile....but very good I must say..

Not saying all shops can do this of course but just sharing that...
Login to get fewer ads

Supermarkets on 18:43 - Mar 23 with 3205 viewsGlasgowBlue

Re paying by card. I think the rules regarding a limit of thirty quid for contactless should be relaxed during this crisis. I dint want to be pressing buttons that thousands of others have been using previously.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Supermarkets on 18:50 - Mar 23 with 3176 viewsbluelagos

Supermarkets on 18:34 - Mar 23 by jeera

Where is that Jeera?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Supermarkets on 18:55 - Mar 23 with 3158 viewsjeera

Supermarkets on 18:43 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Re paying by card. I think the rules regarding a limit of thirty quid for contactless should be relaxed during this crisis. I dint want to be pressing buttons that thousands of others have been using previously.

We don't usually confer but on this subject.

Although usually we're all against one-use plastic etc I popped a couple of those thin plastic vegetable bags into my pocket before I went out because I wanted fuel and knew they'd be no gloves for the keypad and I don't have enough gloves to waste on that.

They're good enough for that, cover your hand to use the pump and keypad.

I dunno, we do what we can don't we. It feels a bit daft but feck it.

I also have a bottle of water with liquid soap and dettol in the boot which I use each time I go anywhere, with kitchen towel to dry.

I've taken to burning any glove [substitutes] and tissues I might use in the car for nose blowing when I get home. Not that it's hard. I have one of those small bbq starters out there so it only takes a moment.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2020 18:59]

Supermarkets on 19:11 - Mar 23 with 3109 viewsWD19

I was in a Morrisons today and they have custom fitted 6ft screens to all of the tills to shield the checkout staff. I was quite impressed. Everyone in the store was keeping their distance.
Supermarkets on 19:23 - Mar 23 with 3070 viewsjeera

Supermarkets on 19:11 - Mar 23 by WD19

I was in a Morrisons today and they have custom fitted 6ft screens to all of the tills to shield the checkout staff. I was quite impressed. Everyone in the store was keeping their distance.

Why have they all waited for so long to implement these basic measures?

Supermarkets on 19:26 - Mar 23 with 3048 viewsGlasgowBlue

Supermarkets on 18:55 - Mar 23 by jeera

Although usually we're all against one-use plastic etc I popped a couple of those thin plastic vegetable bags into my pocket before I went out because I wanted fuel and knew they'd be no gloves for the keypad and I don't have enough gloves to waste on that.

I also have a bottle of water with liquid soap and dettol in the boot which I use each time I go anywhere, with kitchen towel to dry.

I've taken to burning any glove [substitutes] and tissues I might use in the car for nose blowing when I get home. Not that it's hard. I have one of those small bbq starters out there so it only takes a moment.

I’m lucky that I have plenty of hand sanitiser and disposable gloves via work. Got some unusual looks a couple of weeks ago doing sine shopping whilst wearing them but not so much now.

Stay safe Jeera. Let’s hope we all come out of this healthy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Supermarkets on 20:09 - Mar 23 with 2960 viewsjeera

Supermarkets on 18:50 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Where is that Jeera?

PM sent, so people don't think I've ignored you!

Supermarkets on 23:33 - Mar 23 with 2805 viewsRyorry

Supermarkets on 18:55 - Mar 23 by jeera

Is touching keypads etc a problem though if you avoid touching your face & just wash your hands thoroughly when you get home? (and wipe steering wheel, gear lever & handbrake too). Or could you just use a pair of disposable gloves when you shop?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Supermarkets on 08:00 - Mar 24 with 2680 viewsfabian_illness

I filled up with fuel last night.
I used my car key on the chip and pin machine.
Supermarkets on 10:15 - Mar 24 with 2595 viewssoupytwist

Supermarkets on 18:43 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Setting up Google or Apple Pay on your phone if possible should get you round this as they don't have the same limit in most cases.
Supermarkets on 13:02 - Mar 24 with 2538 viewsjeera

Supermarkets on 08:00 - Mar 24 by fabian_illness

I filled up with fuel last night.
I used my car key on the chip and pin machine.

At the pump?

I've not seen any contactless on the pumps yet.

Then you'd be restricted to 30 quid.

It's fine if there's enough gloves to go around, but people have even been stealing those.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024