Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Furlough Pay 10:20 - Mar 24 with 2998 viewsuefacup81

Morning all

I'm being put on furlough as of this evening, and my company will be utilising the government's 80% pay guarantee.

Does anyone know if this would be affected should I choose to take on a second job to tide me over?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Furlough Pay on 10:28 - Mar 24 with 2948 viewsStokieBlue

Can you clarify your circumstances?

SB

Edit: Changed a poorly phrased post which didn't convey my meaning well.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 10:41]

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Furlough Pay on 10:29 - Mar 24 with 2937 viewsvapour_trail

Not sure. On the govt offer, I believe it’s 80% of the national median salary which is 25k, so up to 20k per employee. Some employers will top this up to ensure their people don’t lose out. If you’re over 25k by a margin, you might feel it hurt.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Furlough Pay on 10:34 - Mar 24 with 2904 viewsuefacup81

Furlough Pay on 10:28 - Mar 24 by StokieBlue

Can you clarify your circumstances?

SB

Edit: Changed a poorly phrased post which didn't convey my meaning well.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 10:41]

The prime concern is to top up my wage. It's not just 20% of my salary that I'll be missing out on, but also my monthly commission payments as well.

Given that the job I'd be looking to take on would be working for the ambulance service (my previous employment), I don't see why there should be any impediment in place which would mean I'd lose out by doing so.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 10:45]

Furlough Pay on 10:34 - Mar 24 with 2898 viewsslump

I found this forum pretty informative. It may help a few who are affected understand a little more about Furloughed workers.

https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/furloughed-workers.404667/

UTT

Furlough Pay on 10:36 - Mar 24 with 2887 viewsStokieBlue

Furlough Pay on 10:34 - Mar 24 by uefacup81

The prime concern is to top up my wage. It's not just 20% of my salary that I'll be missing out on, but also my monthly commission payments as well.

Given that the job I'd be looking to take on would be working for the ambulance service (my previous employment), I don't see why there should be any impediment in place which would mean I'd lose out by doing so.

I wasn't take umbrage - I asked you to clarify because from your original post it really wasn't clear (at least to me).

Sounds like a worthwhile use of your time - I'd say go for it. I think you'd get both salaries (ie. 80% from your current employer plus whatever you get for the ambulance work).

SB

Furlough Pay on 10:38 - Mar 24 with 2867 viewsuefacup81

Furlough Pay on 10:36 - Mar 24 by StokieBlue

I wasn't take umbrage - I asked you to clarify because from your original post it really wasn't clear (at least to me).

Sounds like a worthwhile use of your time - I'd say go for it. I think you'd get both salaries (ie. 80% from your current employer plus whatever you get for the ambulance work).

SB

Sorry - my mistake. Misread/interpreted your original comments as if I was being greedy!

Furlough Pay on 10:39 - Mar 24 with 2854 viewsStokieBlue

Furlough Pay on 10:38 - Mar 24 by uefacup81

Sorry - my mistake. Misread/interpreted your original comments as if I was being greedy!

To be honest it's poorly phrased - entirely my fault.

Good luck - hopefully they will have a position for you.

SB
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 10:42]

Furlough Pay on 11:09 - Mar 24 with 2766 viewsPinewoodblue

I assume it is taxable, so expect to be taxed on every penny if you take a second job.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Furlough Pay on 11:24 - Mar 24 with 2727 viewsNotSure

Your contract remains with your current employer and this almost certainly says that you can't work for anyone else.

But talk to them, if your 2nd job involves helping out with this current Covid19 crisis then they couldn't possibly object.
Furlough Pay on 11:24 - Mar 24 with 2731 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is an exchange I had with my accountant yesterday because up until today it was only family members working whilst I had put 15 people on furlough. I was hoping to at least use my furloughed staff to give us a day off.

"Hi James

I hope you are well?

I’m trying to get some clarification on the government help where they will pay 80% of staff wages so long as we send them on furlough rather than lay them off.

Does this apply to staff we keep working or only if we put them on furlough? Also does this apply to company directors?

Regards

Glassers

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Glassers

In answer to your question

The 80% will apply to staff on furlough as they have been granted leave of absence

As for the staff who are still working they will need to be paid as normal as they are making the company money.

As for directors I think potentially they will be included as they will be employees of the business and are due to be paid.

Hope this helps and will update you as we get more clarification.”

Not sure if that answers your question but the fact you will be in paid work may well disqualify your main employer from claiming the 80%.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Furlough Pay on 11:25 - Mar 24 with 2723 viewsWD19

In simple terms, the intention is that you can't. Certainly not if it isn't/wasn't a job you were doing previously.
Furlough Pay on 11:28 - Mar 24 with 2703 viewsGlasgowBlue

Furlough Pay on 10:34 - Mar 24 by uefacup81

You shouldn't miss out on the 20% of your salary as it's up to your employer to pay this element.

Edit. Having checked that it appears that the employer does not have to pay the 20%. But seems only fair imo to do so if they can afford to.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 11:31]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Furlough Pay on 11:29 - Mar 24 with 2700 viewsuefacup81

Furlough Pay on 11:24 - Mar 24 by NotSure

Your contract remains with your current employer and this almost certainly says that you can't work for anyone else.

But talk to them, if your 2nd job involves helping out with this current Covid19 crisis then they couldn't possibly object.

I've spoken with my employer, who has absolutely no issue with it. It's just a question of whether I'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of the financial aspect of it.

That said, potentially working F/T for my local ambulance trust would pay more than 80% of my current wage, so it might be beneficial either way.

Furlough Pay on 12:22 - Mar 24 with 2608 viewshomer_123

Furlough Pay on 11:24 - Mar 24 by GlasgowBlue

This is an exchange I had with my accountant yesterday because up until today it was only family members working whilst I had put 15 people on furlough. I was hoping to at least use my furloughed staff to give us a day off.

"Hi James

I hope you are well?

I’m trying to get some clarification on the government help where they will pay 80% of staff wages so long as we send them on furlough rather than lay them off.

Does this apply to staff we keep working or only if we put them on furlough? Also does this apply to company directors?

Regards

Glassers

--------------------------------------------------

Hi Glassers

In answer to your question

The 80% will apply to staff on furlough as they have been granted leave of absence

As for the staff who are still working they will need to be paid as normal as they are making the company money.

As for directors I think potentially they will be included as they will be employees of the business and are due to be paid.

Hope this helps and will update you as we get more clarification.”

Not sure if that answers your question but the fact you will be in paid work may well disqualify your main employer from claiming the 80%.

GB have you sought your staffs consent to be furloughed?

My understanding based on HR and Accountancy advice is that unless their existing contract allows for furlough then they need to consent (not that anyone would not at the moment).

From the Gov.UK website:

designate affected employees as ‘furloughed workers,’ and notify your employees of this change - changing the status of employees remains subject to existing employment law and, depending on the employment contract, may be subject to negotiation
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 12:23]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Furlough Pay on 12:22 - Mar 24 with 2603 viewshomer_123

I your current contract excludes you from taking another job then, without your employers consent, you would not be able to undertake other paid work.

I'd be surprised if your employer refused.

Furlough Pay on 13:04 - Mar 24 with 2542 viewsuefacup81

Furlough Pay on 12:22 - Mar 24 by homer_123

I your current contract excludes you from taking another job then, without your employers consent, you would not be able to undertake other paid work.

I'd be surprised if your employer refused.

So it seems like my employer is fine with it (and as has been pointed out, why wouldn't they be?) but it seems they're as in the dark as I am regarding how secondary employment might affect any entitlement to pay.

Any recommendations as to who to call/ask for clarity on this?

Furlough Pay on 13:33 - Mar 24 with 2487 viewshomer_123

Furlough Pay on 13:04 - Mar 24 by uefacup81

So it seems like my employer is fine with it (and as has been pointed out, why wouldn't they be?) but it seems they're as in the dark as I am regarding how secondary employment might affect any entitlement to pay.

Until further info comes out - it's an unknown.

Furlough Pay on 13:38 - Mar 24 with 2464 viewsNewcyBlue

HMRC. It’s essentially a second job and may change your tax code.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Furlough Pay on 14:23 - Mar 24 with 2424 viewsbritbiker

Furlough Pay on 11:25 - Mar 24 by WD19

In simple terms, the intention is that you can't. Certainly not if it isn't/wasn't a job you were doing previously.

Listened to Duncan Bananntyne on the radio yesterday. He has shut his health spas and was pleased with the new government scheme. He was hoping however to use some staff to carry out cleaning duties during the down time but was informed that this would stop the handouts as the employees would be effectively working. There are a lot of quirks to be ironed out yet.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2020 14:24]
Furlough Pay on 15:10 - Mar 24 with 2332 viewshoppy

If you’re on Facebook, our accountants have set up a group helping people understand the ins and outs of the announcements, as soon afterwards as possible, to help with going about running your business at this time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rszconsultancy/

If it helps.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Furlough Pay on 17:58 - Mar 24 with 2259 viewsLeaky

I would be surprised if HMRC would let you do it. If they do I would expect you will be paying tax on two incomes.
Furlough Pay on 21:01 - Mar 24 with 2147 viewsuefacup81

Furlough Pay on 17:58 - Mar 24 by Leaky

I would be surprised if HMRC would let you do it. If they do I would expect you will be paying tax on two incomes.

Absolutely no issue with the tax implications. More than happy that I'll still be paying tax on my 80% salary, and that I'd get no personal allowance on any second income. I just want to try and make sure that earning a few extra quid elsewhere won't preclude me from getting paid my other 80% by the government.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024