Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney 11:53 - Mar 25 with 3789 viewsIllinoisblue

Numerous references to honkys and spades. Amazing to think this was a prime time show.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 12:12 - Mar 25 with 3169 viewsEwan_Oozami

You couldn't do a 70s police drama like that nowadays (see Life on Mars).

But we all spoke like that then, I mean my Dad would regularly say things like:

"Have seen that new shop? Run by a load of **** who probably ***** and ***** all the time. And that funny smell down the street, must be those ***** with their ***** and don't even mention the ***** who want to build a new ****** I blame that Harold ***** Wilson

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 13:42 - Mar 25 with 3087 viewsColin_Viljoen

Any copies of "love thy neighbour" about?
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:05 - Mar 25 with 3033 viewsIllinoisblue

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 13:42 - Mar 25 by Colin_Viljoen

Any copies of "love thy neighbour" about?

Not sure but I think Mind Your Language is on YouTube

62 - 78 - 81

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:07 - Mar 25 with 3037 viewsIllinoisblue

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 12:12 - Mar 25 by Ewan_Oozami

You couldn't do a 70s police drama like that nowadays (see Life on Mars).

But we all spoke like that then, I mean my Dad would regularly say things like:

"Have seen that new shop? Run by a load of **** who probably ***** and ***** all the time. And that funny smell down the street, must be those ***** with their ***** and don't even mention the ***** who want to build a new ****** I blame that Harold ***** Wilson

Aside from the racism and sexism and simple cops vs. villains, it’s great to watch for the cars, the clothes and shots of broken London before it got all yuppiefied. Oh and the smoking; literally in every shot Carter and Regan are lighting up.

62 - 78 - 81

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:10 - Mar 25 with 3028 viewsMelford

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:05 - Mar 25 by Illinoisblue

Not sure but I think Mind Your Language is on YouTube

Curry And Chips is on there too.

***k knows how this got made.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:17 - Mar 25 with 3009 viewsPendejo

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:07 - Mar 25 by Illinoisblue

Aside from the racism and sexism and simple cops vs. villains, it’s great to watch for the cars, the clothes and shots of broken London before it got all yuppiefied. Oh and the smoking; literally in every shot Carter and Regan are lighting up.

and the largely traffic free streets of London, you wouldn't get that these days... oh

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 17:08 - Mar 25 with 2965 viewsRadlett_blue

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:07 - Mar 25 by Illinoisblue

The Sweeney was very unpopular with the police because it was the first police TV series to show the force in anything other than a good light & one officer described some of it as "frighteningly realistic".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 18:35 - Mar 25 with 2904 viewsPJH

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 17:08 - Mar 25 by Radlett_blue

The Sweeney was very unpopular with the police because it was the first police TV series to show the force in anything other than a good light & one officer described some of it as "frighteningly realistic".

It was certainly a bit different to 'Dixon of Dock Green'
Login to get fewer ads

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 18:35 - Mar 25 with 2904 viewsjeera

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 17:08 - Mar 25 by Radlett_blue

And surely that's where Life on Mars (excluding the language) based its police methods on?

I remember the police in the 80s and the language, as others have pointed out, was a far cry from any kind of correctness.

In fact, some of them were the worst.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 18:48 - Mar 25 with 2862 viewsGlasgowBlue

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:10 - Mar 25 by Melford

Blimey. I watched that for far longer than I had intended.

Must have been awful for people like Kenny Lynch in those shows.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:17 - Mar 25 with 2837 viewsIllinoisblue

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 15:10 - Mar 25 by Melford

God almighty that is awful. Really really awful

62 - 78 - 81

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:23 - Mar 25 with 2818 viewsLord_Lucan

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 18:48 - Mar 25 by GlasgowBlue

Blimey. I watched that for far longer than I had intended.

Must have been awful for people like Kenny Lynch in those shows.

When was it on? I never remember seeing it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:27 - Mar 25 with 2809 viewsPJH

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:23 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

When was it on? I never remember seeing it.

I didn't see it either.

It was 1969 so you were a bit young.

Written by Johnny Speight who did Till Death Us To Part.

I only know that because I just looked it up on wiki.
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:45 - Mar 25 with 2783 viewsjaykay

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:27 - Mar 25 by PJH

I didn't see it either.

or if you watched the clip it says in bold written by johnny speight

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:49 - Mar 25 with 2776 viewsPJH

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:45 - Mar 25 by jaykay

or if you watched the clip it says in bold written by johnny speight

Did it?

I didn't watch the clip-wiki must be right then.
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:57 - Mar 25 with 2758 viewsjeera

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:49 - Mar 25 by PJH

Did it?

I didn't watch the clip-wiki must be right then.

Unless they're both wrong.

What if one copied its info from the other?

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:59 - Mar 25 with 2753 viewsLord_Lucan

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:27 - Mar 25 by PJH

I didn't see it either.

I only saw a few mins of the trailer but it looks like the early to mid 70's

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:59 - Mar 25 with 2752 viewsPJH

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:57 - Mar 25 by jeera

Unless they're both wrong.

What if one copied its info from the other?

Maybe, you can't believe anything these days.

Someone will be along next month and try to tell you that ITFC won the league once.
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:03 - Mar 25 with 2744 viewsPJH

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 19:59 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

I only saw a few mins of the trailer but it looks like the early to mid 70's

Wiki says there were only 6 episodes and it was shown November/December 1969.
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:10 - Mar 25 with 2735 viewsBluespeed225

Our finest cop drama, filmed on location which gives it the realism, as someone said, in a London that doesn’t exist anymore. For a real culture shock, the Alf Garnet film ‘Alfs Back’ is an eye opener. Great scene with George Best, Bobby Moore, and Max Bygraves though!
Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:12 - Mar 25 with 2729 viewsLord_Lucan

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:10 - Mar 25 by Bluespeed225

Our finest cop drama, filmed on location which gives it the realism, as someone said, in a London that doesn’t exist anymore. For a real culture shock, the Alf Garnet film ‘Alfs Back’ is an eye opener. Great scene with George Best, Bobby Moore, and Max Bygraves though!

I love watching it, plus old episodes of Minder.

Proper London doesn't exist anymore.

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:12 - Mar 25 with 2723 viewsjeera

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:12 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

I love watching it, plus old episodes of Minder.

Proper London doesn't exist anymore.

You slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!.

Sorry.

Getting into the spirit of things.

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:25 - Mar 25 with 2708 viewsLord_Lucan

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:12 - Mar 25 by jeera

You slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!.

Sorry.

Getting into the spirit of things.

Talking of proper London

If anyone can find a way to watch Prospects with Gary Olsen and Brian Bovell then that is a must

Brilliant Covoid watching.

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:33 - Mar 25 with 2690 viewsjeera

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:25 - Mar 25 by Lord_Lucan

Talking of proper London

If anyone can find a way to watch Prospects with Gary Olsen and Brian Bovell then that is a must

Brilliant Covoid watching.

My old chap was Hackney, mum was from West Ham.

I had to spend my entire childhood listening to my family and the extended family.

I hate the cockney accent now.

Cor blimey, bleedin' 'ell luv. "Pet". The family had a factory in Dalston.

And I grew up on the markets with a mixture of East End types and also Mockneys...

"OI, you caaaaaaaaaaaaant" etc.

I hate it.

I will give the show a look though, thank you.

Continuing my way through season 4 of the The Sweeney on 20:45 - Mar 25 with 2667 viewsjontysnut

See also the early 70s Terry Sneed novels by GF Newman where representations of the police moved on from George Dixon types and reflected some of the bent copper cases at the time. The Sweeney also showed that the police didn't always get their man.

"put'em away darling, you're nicked"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024