Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? 17:06 - Mar 26 with 576 viewsWeWereZombies

The Beeb have just put it up again but only available until Tuesday evening, over six hours of programme! I never thought I could get so absorbed in something about a sportsman who plays a game I have no interest in, but the commentary in terms of race relations, self promotion, the psychology of advertising and the economics of America (amongst other things) is very revealing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qldj6/storyville-oj-made-in-america-par

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? on 20:32 - Mar 29 with 480 viewsWeWereZombies

Well, I made it through. Just thirteen minutes shy of eight hours but, as with all of the 'Storyville' programmes gripping, insightful and superbly made. Reminded me of 'Senna' in the way characters coherently develop just by the use of footage from the time of events.

Only on the iPlayer for another couple of days now.

Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? on 21:54 - Mar 29 with 465 viewsChrisd

Storyville? Watched it over the weekend, it really is incredible how O.J. got away with it. Lucky his defence team turned the whole case into a racist issue against the LAPD and just discredited every witness. The Goldman and Brown families must have been appalled as the focus was taken away from Nicole and Ron’s murders. I thought Ron Goldman’s old man hit the nail right on the head when he got interviewed once the jury had come to their verdict. Still makes my blood boil even 26 years later. Nevertheless, still a very intriguing and tragic watch.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? on 23:53 - Mar 29 with 449 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? on 21:54 - Mar 29 by Chrisd

Storyville? Watched it over the weekend, it really is incredible how O.J. got away with it. Lucky his defence team turned the whole case into a racist issue against the LAPD and just discredited every witness. The Goldman and Brown families must have been appalled as the focus was taken away from Nicole and Ron’s murders. I thought Ron Goldman’s old man hit the nail right on the head when he got interviewed once the jury had come to their verdict. Still makes my blood boil even 26 years later. Nevertheless, still a very intriguing and tragic watch.

I viewed it more dispassionately, the background of sustained prejudice contributing to the 'miscarriage' of justice so that 'playing the race card' had much more impact than would happen in a fair society. I remember at the time watching news items about the fleet of police cars following the Bronco and wondering what on Earth was going on. And that was about it as a story of interest at the time, the war in Bosnia was much more visceral and tragic and pertinent. But seeing the documentary as the story of a man's life is a much more worthwhile affair; and what seems incredible in the United Kingdom can seem logical in a country with televised courtrooms, plea bargaining and the Fifth Amendment.

Marcia Clark is not shy with her language, is she?

Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? on 07:57 - Mar 30 with 384 viewsChrisd

Anyone watching 'OJ:Made In America'? on 23:53 - Mar 29 by WeWereZombies

I viewed it more dispassionately, the background of sustained prejudice contributing to the 'miscarriage' of justice so that 'playing the race card' had much more impact than would happen in a fair society. I remember at the time watching news items about the fleet of police cars following the Bronco and wondering what on Earth was going on. And that was about it as a story of interest at the time, the war in Bosnia was much more visceral and tragic and pertinent. But seeing the documentary as the story of a man's life is a much more worthwhile affair; and what seems incredible in the United Kingdom can seem logical in a country with televised courtrooms, plea bargaining and the Fifth Amendment.

Marcia Clark is not shy with her language, is she?

I was a lot younger then and very naive, believing that justice would be done based on the forensic evidence. I didn't realise cutting your finger from chipping a few golf balls (the one of many reasons given by OJ) could leave such a trail of blood in different locations?! I was and remain a big fan of American Football, so the fact someone like him - an icon of the sport - was arrested for a double homicide was huge. The documentary certainly highlights why the defence team focused their attack on the LA police being racists, but Johnnie Cockran had form in this regard. It's disgusting really. Marcia Clark did say it best when addressing the court that they weren't allowed to mention the 'N word'......Nicole! The main reason why they were all there was completely forgotten and sadly overlooked.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 10:00]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024