Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trapped at sea 07:18 - Mar 27 with 1246 viewsNewcyBlue

I was very fortunate to have gotten off just before Singapore shut to seafarers. When I say very fortunate, I mean it. It was hours. Our ports are still accepting ships. Ships with anything up to 12 different nationalities on board.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/world/europe/coronavirus-ship-crews-trapped.h

“ When Capt. Nilesh Gandhi’s oil tanker docked in coronavirus-ravaged China early last month, he understood that he would not be able to disembark and fly home as planned. He would have to keep working, at least until Singapore.

But when he arrived there, Singapore had prohibited all crew changes. And when he docks in Sri Lanka next week, the government there will ban him from getting off the ship. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, his next two stops, forbid crew members from leaving, as well.

He is not alone. An estimated 150,000 crew members with expired work contracts have been forced into continued labor aboard commercial ships worldwide to meet the demands of governments that have closed their borders and yet still want fuel, food and supplies.”

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Trapped at sea on 07:26 - Mar 27 with 1203 viewsbluelagos

Guy was telling me yesterday about staffing issues causing delays at a UK port. You heard anything?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Trapped at sea on 07:26 - Mar 27 with 1201 viewsSteve_M

Yes, in the short term crew changes look difficult. It's bad enough for you and your colleagues spend so long on a ship in normal circumstances.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Trapped at sea on 07:34 - Mar 27 with 1164 viewsNewcyBlue

Trapped at sea on 07:26 - Mar 27 by bluelagos

Guy was telling me yesterday about staffing issues causing delays at a UK port. You heard anything?

It wouldn’t surprise me. The ports run 24/7. Thousands of people to do many different jobs.

I know of delays to ships due to not enough gangs working shifts.

Trapped at sea on 07:34 - Mar 27 with 1159 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Bloody hell Newcy that is quite an eye opener....150,000!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Trapped at sea on 07:34 - Mar 27 with 1162 viewsNewcyBlue

Trapped at sea on 07:26 - Mar 27 by Steve_M

Yes, in the short term crew changes look difficult. It's bad enough for you and your colleagues spend so long on a ship in normal circumstances.

Also a majority of seafarers who are home on leave don’t get paid. They get paid when they are away only.

Trapped at sea on 07:49 - Mar 27 with 1125 viewsfactual_blue

#prayforfergalsharkeyandhispedalo

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Trapped at sea on 07:51 - Mar 27 with 1122 viewshampstead_blue

Question Newcy.

The crew which are still working out of contract, will they get paid?
After all the ship is still earning money.

Is that correct?

Stay well.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Trapped at sea on 09:28 - Mar 27 with 1024 viewsNewcyBlue

Trapped at sea on 07:51 - Mar 27 by hampstead_blue

Question Newcy.

The crew which are still working out of contract, will they get paid?
After all the ship is still earning money.

Is that correct?

Stay well.

Yeah they will still be paid. Some of them have been on board in excess of 10 months already though.

Login to get fewer ads

Trapped at sea on 09:39 - Mar 27 with 1005 viewshampstead_blue

Trapped at sea on 09:28 - Mar 27 by NewcyBlue

Yeah they will still be paid. Some of them have been on board in excess of 10 months already though.

That's a long time.

Edit; without a room full of women to enjoy
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 9:40]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Trapped at sea on 09:42 - Mar 27 with 997 viewsNewcyBlue

Trapped at sea on 09:39 - Mar 27 by hampstead_blue

That's a long time.

Edit; without a room full of women to enjoy
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 9:40]

Some companies don’t have internet on board. Even when they do it’s satellite internet, with data from on board computers going back to the company, and data from the containers being sent back that need monitoring. You’re lucky if you can make a phone call.

Global ban on shore leave too. So you’re not even able to get off when you do get into port.

We’re not seafarers anymore, we are working prisoners.

Trapped at sea on 10:08 - Mar 27 with 972 viewsWeWereZombies

Trapped at sea on 09:42 - Mar 27 by NewcyBlue

Some companies don’t have internet on board. Even when they do it’s satellite internet, with data from on board computers going back to the company, and data from the containers being sent back that need monitoring. You’re lucky if you can make a phone call.

Global ban on shore leave too. So you’re not even able to get off when you do get into port.

An informative and, in many ways, troubling thread here. Must be tough enough stuck on board before we even consider situations like yours with young kids who will not get to see their Dads for even more months than they are used to.

Are there any discussions on what type of shipping industry will emerge after the pandemic? One that may have to adjust to reduced global trading, for example. Or one that cannot rely on an automatic free market in labour due to greater control on the movement of people perhaps.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Trapped at sea on 10:11 - Mar 27 with 963 viewsNewcyBlue

Trapped at sea on 10:08 - Mar 27 by WeWereZombies

An informative and, in many ways, troubling thread here. Must be tough enough stuck on board before we even consider situations like yours with young kids who will not get to see their Dads for even more months than they are used to.

Are there any discussions on what type of shipping industry will emerge after the pandemic? One that may have to adjust to reduced global trading, for example. Or one that cannot rely on an automatic free market in labour due to greater control on the movement of people perhaps.

To be honest it seems the main priority right now is keep the movement of goods flowing.

Without widespread industrial action of stopping ships, seafarers will be taken for granted.

Trapped at sea on 10:25 - Mar 27 with 941 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trapped at sea on 09:42 - Mar 27 by NewcyBlue

Hasn't that always been the way (working prisoners)? It took Magellan's voyage about 3 years to circumnavigate! Granted, things may have changed a little bit since then :)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trapped at sea on 10:53 - Mar 27 with 893 viewsWeWereZombies

Trapped at sea on 10:25 - Mar 27 by Swansea_Blue

Hasn't that always been the way (working prisoners)? It took Magellan's voyage about 3 years to circumnavigate! Granted, things may have changed a little bit since then :)

And, so far, Newcy hasn't been killed by angry Filipinos before he has even completed the voyage...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Trapped at sea on 10:57 - Mar 27 with 886 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trapped at sea on 10:53 - Mar 27 by WeWereZombies

And, so far, Newcy hasn't been killed by angry Filipinos before he has even completed the voyage...

Quite. I don't know what he's complaining about . I bet they let him of the oars every few hours or so for a cup of water too.

Trapped at sea on 11:02 - Mar 27 with 873 viewsNewcyBlue

Trapped at sea on 10:57 - Mar 27 by Swansea_Blue

Quite. I don't know what he's complaining about . I bet they let him of the oars every few hours or so for a cup of water too.

If we ever meet, I will teabag you.

Trapped at sea on 11:06 - Mar 27 with 860 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trapped at sea on 11:02 - Mar 27 by NewcyBlue

If we ever meet, I will teabag you.

Not easy to do in galley shackles

In all seriousness, this sounds pretty horrendous for people who've been stuck. The hidden cost of our buy more society.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2020 11:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024