Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 13:24 - Mar 27 with 1487 viewsunstableblue

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

This seems significant, but has had little reporting, Scotsman... but not sure I've seen on BBC etc.

Interesting that SARS and MERS are staying on list.

I have some 'mates' who are making a big thing of this, and also metrics about CV death rate being lower than winter flu. I think with a view this is a slight over reaction?!?

Isn't it the case that yes while the actual death rates are very low, and in the VAST majority of cases symptoms are very mild even for 60-70 year olds. The high contagion and volume of vulnerable people to the disease, mean that the strain on NHS to deal with people who have a reaction and number of those who need treatment, mean it does warrant this VERY significant global lock down reaction.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:37 - Mar 27 with 1425 viewsGuthrum

There are diseases vastly more infectious and lethal than Covid-19. Fortunately, they are mostly not encountered in this country.

The lack of rapid lethality potentially makes C-19 more dangerous, as sufferers remain alive and able to pass the disease on for longer, thus affecting a larger group of the population.

I think C-19 death rates as a proportion of the population are proving to be lower than early estimates. That may be down to measures taken to inhibit the spread of the illness meaning heathcare systems are not being overwhelmed before expanded facilities can be brought online.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:48 - Mar 27 with 1377 viewsmonytowbray

It’s a new illness that we have limited immunity to and will cause havoc on the NHS as you say. That’s the biggest issue.

The illness in itself I don’t think has close to the mortality rate we are seeing at present.

I feel long term herd immunity will be the goal once we have a vaccine and if it doesn’t mutate to evade antibodies based on what I’ve read. But short term we’ve gotta shield ourselves to save lives.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:49 - Mar 27 with 1375 viewsNo9

So, the government is at odds, again, with the scientific community?

Is Johnson now in the 'It'll all be over by Easter brigade or is this another Cummings let the old die job?

When government publishes stuFf like this it raises a whole bunch of questions about integrity & honesty
Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:51 - Mar 27 with 1355 viewsBlueBadger

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:48 - Mar 27 by monytowbray

It’s a new illness that we have limited immunity to and will cause havoc on the NHS as you say. That’s the biggest issue.

The illness in itself I don’t think has close to the mortality rate we are seeing at present.

I feel long term herd immunity will be the goal once we have a vaccine and if it doesn’t mutate to evade antibodies based on what I’ve read. But short term we’ve gotta shield ourselves to save lives.

Basically that. One thing this has hopefully done is shut down the anti-vac crowd forever - this is what life without vaccines really looks like kids.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:53 - Mar 27 with 1345 viewsDarth_Koont

The key here is how dangerous Covid-19 is if we don't take these measures. The evidence suggests that this is many times more dangerous than the flu and much more likely to swamp healthcare resources, particularly in major cities.

The antibody test coming through in the next couple of weeks should show the mortality risks as it will help address the wider population and the total spread of infection, but until then we need to be massively cautious especially as healthcare resources are already straining to cope.

We have to be cautious and patient even if there are signs that are optimistic along the way. It's the evidence and trusted data that counts.

Pronouns: He/Him

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 14:23 - Mar 27 with 1281 viewsGuthrum

The significance of HCID is doctors have to notify the authorities immediately if they get any cases of those diseases. Not really necessary for C-19 at the moment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 14:43 - Mar 27 with 1235 viewshomer_123

The issue with this virus has always been one of care systems being able to cope.

It's never been about how serious it is in terms of death rates (though clearly I am not saying that isn't important).

Many more deadly diseases and more infectious ones. Chances are - now it's working it's way through the population, immunity will be built up and worst case it becomes seasonal inline with flu, for example.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 15:09 - Mar 27 with 1187 viewsStokieBlue

This has been covered in numerous threads.

The mortality rate is higher than flu and the number of deaths would be massively higher without the measures in place.

It's downgraded because it's not got a high mortality like ebola for instance. However a low mortality with high infectiousness usually ends up in many more deaths overall hence there is a caveat in the downgrading that the government measures are required in order to keep the deaths low.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 15:11 - Mar 27 with 1175 viewsmonytowbray

Have you seen this Government Announcement on downgrading CV-19 on 13:51 - Mar 27 by BlueBadger

Basically that. One thing this has hopefully done is shut down the anti-vac crowd forever - this is what life without vaccines really looks like kids.

Nah, they’re already saying vaccines CAUSED coronavirus.

The problem with conspiracy theories is as long as someone makes up some b0llocks and puts it on Youtube it’s proof.

I’ve long thought about starting my own conspiracy theory for a laugh. Any ideas welcome.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024