Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years 09:44 - Mar 28 with 1841 viewsDarth_Koont

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52056914

After the Second World War, the UK achieved our greatest leaps forward in social welfare, education and healthcare reforms. That was about dealing with the trauma and rebuilding the economy and society after 6 long years of war. But also a reflection of what happens when the whole country (and indeed other countries in a global alliance) works together to overcome enemies.

This isn't at the same scale but I think the money now being spent unquestioningly to protect the vulnerable plus how we're recognizing the value of public services (and humanising those who work in them) means we should see a shift in attitude and commitment.

I'd obviously rather people didn't have to die for that to happen but it does seem like a bit of a wake-up call so some good can come from this.

And on a side note, that's an awfully written piece by Kuenssburg. It's so shoddily put together that you'd think others in the News department are out to get her by posting it as is.

Pronouns: He/Him

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 09:53 - Mar 28 with 1795 viewsWD19

I’ll wager she dictated it and it has been typed up verbatim. It reads like a transcript of a hasty news despatch garbled our in news at ten stood outside Parliament.
There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:01 - Mar 28 with 1782 viewsDarth_Koont

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 09:53 - Mar 28 by WD19

I’ll wager she dictated it and it has been typed up verbatim. It reads like a transcript of a hasty news despatch garbled our in news at ten stood outside Parliament.

Possibly. But if so why post it?

No-one's exactly rushing to hear from her right now — or Corbyn for that matter. Report it/comment on it properly or don't bother.

Unfortunately, it's another example of how half-arsed the BBC has become on current affairs.

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:14 - Mar 28 with 1755 viewsN2_Blue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 09:53 - Mar 28 by WD19

Most definitely. It reads exactly as she presents her reports on BBC news. For someone which such a big gig I think she is an awful journalist. I mentioned on another thread recently that I thought her reporting of Brexit was terrible and she continues to deliver a lot of dribble.
Katya Adler is 10 times the journalist Laura is.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:16 - Mar 28 with 1750 viewsGuthrum

Not sure this really does justify his approach, given we are pretty effectively trashing good fiscal practice to overcome a serious emergency. These are not normal times and we could never have justified spending to this degree had they been.

It's also worth noting that the post-1945 period was also a time of deep Austerity, with tougher rationing than during the War. Britain was seriously bankrupt, while at the same time having to rebuild shattered cities.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:19 - Mar 28 with 1744 viewsr2d2

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:14 - Mar 28 by N2_Blue

Most definitely. It reads exactly as she presents her reports on BBC news. For someone which such a big gig I think she is an awful journalist. I mentioned on another thread recently that I thought her reporting of Brexit was terrible and she continues to deliver a lot of dribble.

Agree. Cant stand Laura K. Totally inept at what she does. Always looks so sour with it too.
There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:21 - Mar 28 with 1734 viewsLord_Lucan

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:14 - Mar 28 by N2_Blue

I fancy her

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:22 - Mar 28 with 1731 viewsN2_Blue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:21 - Mar 28 by Lord_Lucan

I fancy her

Katya? She is yummy!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:25 - Mar 28 with 1719 viewsLord_Lucan

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:22 - Mar 28 by N2_Blue

Katya? She is yummy!

No, Laura Kuenssberg. I can imagine she can be quite strict.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:44 - Mar 28 with 1688 viewsDarth_Koont

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:16 - Mar 28 by Guthrum

Not sure this really does justify his approach, given we are pretty effectively trashing good fiscal practice to overcome a serious emergency. These are not normal times and we could never have justified spending to this degree had they been.

It's also worth noting that the post-1945 period was also a time of deep Austerity, with tougher rationing than during the War. Britain was seriously bankrupt, while at the same time having to rebuild shattered cities.

Clearly, the current coronavirus figures are massive and unsustainable. But we're not talking about anything like this level of spending in the long term.

But it shows that money is always available to invest in society's needs. There was certainly no economic imperative for a decade of austerity after the financial crash.

And if more is needed then we move away from our ridiculously low income tax and corporate tax combination to increase our low taxation take. Investing in society and its long term good pays off much more than hoping individuals sort themselves out.

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:54 - Mar 28 with 1647 viewsWD19

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:44 - Mar 28 by Darth_Koont

Clearly, the current coronavirus figures are massive and unsustainable. But we're not talking about anything like this level of spending in the long term.

But it shows that money is always available to invest in society's needs. There was certainly no economic imperative for a decade of austerity after the financial crash.

And if more is needed then we move away from our ridiculously low income tax and corporate tax combination to increase our low taxation take. Investing in society and its long term good pays off much more than hoping individuals sort themselves out.

Relative to other countries it is the middling to low income earners that are currently underpaying income tax. As we will see when we come out of the other side of this, I am not sure they will agree ‘that money was always there’ for government to take/spend. Let’s see.
There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:12 - Mar 28 with 1530 viewsmonytowbray

I’m more surprised the Beeb’s assigned Tory plant managed to write a story on Corbyn without suggesting something more sinister.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:20 - Mar 28 with 1507 viewsRadlett_blue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 10:54 - Mar 28 by WD19

Relative to other countries it is the middling to low income earners that are currently underpaying income tax. As we will see when we come out of the other side of this, I am not sure they will agree ‘that money was always there’ for government to take/spend. Let’s see.

Attitudes could change, but it's almost unheard of for an opposition party to be voted in because of all the great plans they have for you, which invariably involve higher taxes.
Voters turf out governments which they think have failed them and depending on how long this crisis lasts, it is more likely to be the deciding factor in the next election.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:53 - Mar 28 with 1479 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:20 - Mar 28 by Radlett_blue

Attitudes could change, but it's almost unheard of for an opposition party to be voted in because of all the great plans they have for you, which invariably involve higher taxes.
Voters turf out governments which they think have failed them and depending on how long this crisis lasts, it is more likely to be the deciding factor in the next election.

So education, education, education didn't win the election but rather the disaster of John Major's government that lost it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:59 - Mar 28 with 1462 viewsRadlett_blue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:53 - Mar 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

So education, education, education didn't win the election but rather the disaster of John Major's government that lost it?

Yes, absolutely. Voters had already become disenchanted with the Tories, but they scraped in as voters couldn't quite stomach Neil Kinnock & especially some of Labour's tax policies. Another 5 years of a divided, struggling Tory government & a very credible Blair in opposition (without the likelihood of swingeing tax increases) & they were happy to turf out Major. Blair's Labour party was a highly credible alternative, centrist government.

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 15:03 - Mar 28 with 1448 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 14:59 - Mar 28 by Radlett_blue

Yes, absolutely. Voters had already become disenchanted with the Tories, but they scraped in as voters couldn't quite stomach Neil Kinnock & especially some of Labour's tax policies. Another 5 years of a divided, struggling Tory government & a very credible Blair in opposition (without the likelihood of swingeing tax increases) & they were happy to turf out Major. Blair's Labour party was a highly credible alternative, centrist government.

A little too long ago for me to have clear recollection but I doubt the media painted Blair as the party of low taxation.

It is only because a significant proportion of those who would actually benefit greatly from higher taxes buy into that media rhetoric and go "can't vote for Commie Corbyn because he is after my money" that what you said holds weight.

Yes, Corbyn clearly went too far with his policies but the idea the party of lowest taxation will always win seems rather simplistic and depressing to me. A party that can convince the electorate that proper investment in public services is to our advantage should be able to win power.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 15:21 - Mar 28 with 1416 viewsRadlett_blue

There is a precedent for this, Laura ... the post-war years on 15:03 - Mar 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

A little too long ago for me to have clear recollection but I doubt the media painted Blair as the party of low taxation.

It is only because a significant proportion of those who would actually benefit greatly from higher taxes buy into that media rhetoric and go "can't vote for Commie Corbyn because he is after my money" that what you said holds weight.

Yes, Corbyn clearly went too far with his policies but the idea the party of lowest taxation will always win seems rather simplistic and depressing to me. A party that can convince the electorate that proper investment in public services is to our advantage should be able to win power.

Plenty of people in polls say that they would be willing to pay more tax to fund better public services. I am also always slightly suspicious of such polls as I believe there is a tendency for people to give what they feel is the morally correct answer, although they may still vote differently out of selfishness. Ultimately, people make their choice in General elections and no doubt plenty of people vote for selfish or perverse reasons, but that's democracy. History of the last 40 years would show that UK voters rarely vote in the party of higher taxation.Blair wasn't an outlier as his tax plans were very modest & I think John Smith's "Shadow budget" was the biggest reason why Labour failed to win in 1992. This crisis will certainly change some people's thinking, but I doubt it will change people completely. Increases in taxation invariably fall mostly on middle income groups.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024