Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem 15:44 - Mar 28 with 9158 viewsMaySixth

Our last great season

All your memories please

Fists game was a 1-3 defeat at Spurs

Ended up pretty well after that

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 11:48 - Mar 29 with 3914 viewsEly_Blue

Derby away last game of the season with the hope we could have made the CL places, living in Nottingham at the time and even as a ST holder I couldn’t get a ticket in with the Town fans so got a guy I worked with who had a DC fan as a friend getting me a seat in with the home fans, sitting on my hands for 90 minutes

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 12:48 - Mar 29 with 3889 viewsMaySixth

Wonderful season
Amazing to think Burley got Manager of the Year

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 13:47 - Mar 29 with 3879 viewsportmanroadblue

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 15:45 - Mar 28 by Ace_High1

I remember the 1-1 first home game with Man Utd. Weeknight I believe, it was really warm and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Willis with a cracking goal and then Beckham for them I think?

Probably one of the best atmospheres ive ever known at Portman road, all 4 stands singing and scenes when we scored.
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 13:53 - Mar 29 with 3873 viewsportmanroadblue

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 11:45 - Mar 29 by ColchesterBlue1985

I am aware of that but when you think of the super force they are today i still think it’s remarkable. Similar to beating Real Madrid and Barcelona back in the day, just hard to comprehend.

theres hope for us yet then :-)
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 16:09 - Mar 29 with 3837 viewsoneoffposter

Titus tackle on Roy Keane in the 1st half of the game at PR - like a man tackling
a boy

Coming back from 2-0 down home to Chelsea I think on Boxing Day

The 1-1 billed as a champs league shoot-out between us and Liverpool was surreal they had an incredible team yet were happy with a point
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 22:06 - Mar 29 with 3767 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 11:34 - Mar 29 by Radlett_blue

That wasn't a good Man City side - they were relegated.

I remember in the league game at Maine Road they had Laurent Charvet playing at right back, he was terrible. Town had tried to sign him in the summer.

City were a poor side, we beat them three times that season and there was also an abandoned Cup game with the score at 1-1.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 15:30 - Mar 30 with 3692 viewsMaySixth

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 22:06 - Mar 29 by The_Last_Baron

I remember in the league game at Maine Road they had Laurent Charvet playing at right back, he was terrible. Town had tried to sign him in the summer.

City were a poor side, we beat them three times that season and there was also an abandoned Cup game with the score at 1-1.

Didn't Wrighty have a shaky start to the season?
He wasn't great at Spurs with two of the goals and I think against United he was got booked and was a bit iffy for Bekham's freekick.
After that though, he really settled down

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 16:25 - Mar 30 with 3679 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 17:29 - Mar 28 by vapour_trail

Remember listening to the phone in on 5live after that game at Everton, and one of their fans phoned in saying, Ipswich won’t stay up, they’ll stay well up, best promoted team he’d seen at goodison in memory.

We took them apart that day.

Yes, that was a great performance. Had a big smile on my face walking back to Liverpool station afterwards which turned into belly laughs when a car of Everton fans drove past shouting abuse and then throwing something at me. It turned out to be a small cuddly toy, which just about summed up Everton's performance that day.

I also loved Alun Armstrong's double at Middlesbrough and him getting a standing ovation from the whole ground when subbed off later.

Minor one was the FA Cup game at Morecambe singing to their goalie 'how small do you want the goal' when we were a couple up and him turning around and making a gesture for a tiny goal.
Login to get fewer ads

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 16:39 - Mar 30 with 3661 viewsSwailsey

An evening game when we won 2:1 - Charlton maybe? Holland and Sir Marcus scored.

The Bradford game was very special too. What a feeling.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 18:24 - Mar 30 with 3640 viewsScottCandage

If Alan Shearer didn't dive, we would have been in the Champions League.
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 18:27 - Mar 30 with 3637 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

YBR Jr's first year as a season ticket holder was the promotion season (trip to Wembley and everything). I remember telling him before the Man Utd home game that this was the Premier League and we would most likely struggle against established PL sides - trying to soften the blow for what I thought would be a difficult season.

He reminds me of that wayward assessment on a fairly regular basis.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 20:41 - Mar 30 with 3609 viewsFenland_Blue

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 15:45 - Mar 28 by Ace_High1

I remember the 1-1 first home game with Man Utd. Weeknight I believe, it was really warm and the atmosphere was fantastic.

The 1-1 with Man Utd gave me massive confidence in that we wouldn’t go straight down, we would be more than good enough to stay up.

The atmosphere was superb, a constant wall of sound.

Looking back what a brilliant underrated player Jamie Clapham was, best all-round left back in the 30 years of watch the town.

Shameful how we totally fudged it up the season after.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 21:50 - Mar 30 with 3591 viewsmidastouch

Alex Ferguson said after the game that he might of dropped a clanger letting David Johnson go. He looked lively at the start of that season but couldn't actually score. And then with the arrival of Armstrong he got less and less of a look in and ended up never getting a goal in the Premier League for us, if I recall correctly. David Johnson was a very good Championship player, but wasn't quite up to the standard required in the Premier League. That's not unusual though, we've seen that happen to countless other players down the years.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 07:56 - Mar 31 with 3539 viewsChrisd

It was going into games enjoying them and being excited at how we were playing and genuinely believing we could win games. That 1-1 draw against Man Utd at PR fuelled that belief for me that we could compete at that level.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 15:21]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 08:25 - Mar 31 with 3531 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 21:50 - Mar 30 by midastouch

Alex Ferguson said after the game that he might of dropped a clanger letting David Johnson go. He looked lively at the start of that season but couldn't actually score. And then with the arrival of Armstrong he got less and less of a look in and ended up never getting a goal in the Premier League for us, if I recall correctly. David Johnson was a very good Championship player, but wasn't quite up to the standard required in the Premier League. That's not unusual though, we've seen that happen to countless other players down the years.

I put it down to the fact the number of goals down to his sheer pace to get away from defenders in the championship was incredible but found himself up against much faster defenders in the prem and struggled and this was quickly realised and let go after just a month or two, where as Stewart never had blistering pace but his goals were down to quality of movement off the ball something he replicated in the Prem with no problem whatsoever.
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 08:30 - Mar 31 with 3531 viewsChrisd

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 08:25 - Mar 31 by ColchesterBlue1985

I put it down to the fact the number of goals down to his sheer pace to get away from defenders in the championship was incredible but found himself up against much faster defenders in the prem and struggled and this was quickly realised and let go after just a month or two, where as Stewart never had blistering pace but his goals were down to quality of movement off the ball something he replicated in the Prem with no problem whatsoever.

Stewart was a really clever footballer, although he lacked pace he was quicker than most with the way he thought. He was our equivalent of Teddy Sheringham.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 18:07 - Mar 31 with 3469 viewsMaySixth

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 08:30 - Mar 31 by Chrisd

Stewart was a really clever footballer, although he lacked pace he was quicker than most with the way he thought. He was our equivalent of Teddy Sheringham.

David Johnson has said himself that he regrets not applying himself properly at the start of the season.
He admits to not being good enough to get in front of Scowcroft and Stewart.
Shame he didn't score in the Prem for us

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 20:19 - Apr 1 with 3390 viewsMaySixth

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 18:07 - Mar 31 by MaySixth

David Johnson has said himself that he regrets not applying himself properly at the start of the season.
He admits to not being good enough to get in front of Scowcroft and Stewart.
Shame he didn't score in the Prem for us

How good was Mark Venus?

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 07:53 - Apr 2 with 3313 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 20:19 - Apr 1 by MaySixth

How good was Mark Venus?

My family sponsored Veno (we sponsored Sedgley before and then him) and he was a great chap. Countless good stories from him around that era mainly around the Racecourse and drinking lol. What a left foot though, when he hit them they stayed hit didn’t they.

That back 3 (whoever played) was always nicely balanced.
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 08:08 - Apr 2 with 3306 viewsMoriarty

Marcus Stewart’s goal at Anfield. It was a great goal which exemplified his natural talent. One of my favourite Ipswich goals.

Googled it and found this :-

https://m.facebook.com/premierleague/videos/2126999227324481/
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 8:10]

fka omuircheartaigh

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 13:16 - Apr 2 with 3271 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

sods law I was at uni in poverty for this season, but cauht what I could on Sky.

Any good youtube season highlights?
Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 17:17 - Apr 11 with 3186 viewsMaySixth

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 20:19 - Apr 1 by MaySixth

How good was Mark Venus?

Cannon of a left foot, no pace.

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 17:18 - Apr 11 with 3185 viewsMaySixth

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 13:16 - Apr 2 by SuperKieranMcKenna

sods law I was at uni in poverty for this season, but cauht what I could on Sky.

Any good youtube season highlights?

unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a season review on youtube

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 22:11 - Apr 11 with 3147 viewsTheonlywayisup

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 17:18 - Apr 11 by MaySixth

unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a season review on youtube

Highlights to the season after......Obviously we messed it up but actually still a fair few high points.

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 01:08 - Apr 12 with 3135 viewsMaySixth

Memories of the 2000-2001 season - when we came 5th in the Prem on 22:11 - Apr 11 by Theonlywayisup

Highlights to the season after......Obviously we messed it up but actually still a fair few high points.

lol
i want 2000 2001

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024