Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NHS morale and student nurses 20:27 - Mar 28 with 1792 viewsshaunmahony

I am an old Suffolk boy exiled to Lancashire for more than 40 years.
My daughter is a 21 year old student nurse now answering the call to volunteer to join up in the fight against corona. She will get home exhausted after her first work day on April 1st to find that the £40k loan she has been saddled with to train as a nurse has gone up during the day because the country continues to charge her interest (5.4% now) on this loan.
I am very proud that she is willing to risk her health and possibly her life to save others lives but very angry that she has been put in this ridiculous financial situation,
To try to fix this and boost her morale and that of others wondering whether to risk volunteering, I have set up a gov petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/302732
If you feel able to support my petition and share it with others, I would be very grateful.
In the last few years she has been with me to watch ITFC at Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Huddersfield and Old Trafford so she too is a Town fan even though she is born and bred here in Lancs. Since my first match in 1967 I have been to Portman Road with my family members from my grandfather , my parents, brother, wife, children and nephew. At times like this you think of family and friends and ITFC and Portman Road is bound up in all of those memories as a continuous thread.
Good luck to you all and stay safe.
Shaun Mahony
PS Not sure if this is the right forum for this post but I have to try
NHS morale and student nurses on 20:50 - Mar 28 with 1703 viewsJ2BLUE

I thought this was going to be about freezing interest. Massive respect to your daughter but are there any figures of how much this would cost? Totally in favour of massively improved terms/conditions for NHS staff but we need some numbers to see if it's realistic.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

NHS morale and student nurses on 21:01 - Mar 28 with 1669 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Good man. Don't worry Boris has a badge on....it will be fine!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

NHS morale and student nurses on 21:07 - Mar 28 with 1659 viewsshaunmahony

NHS morale and student nurses on 20:50 - Mar 28 by J2BLUE

I thought this was going to be about freezing interest. Massive respect to your daughter but are there any figures of how much this would cost? Totally in favour of massively improved terms/conditions for NHS staff but we need some numbers to see if it's realistic.

Fair question but this only relates to 3 years of nursing trainees as they have only had to pay for their own training for that time. Compared to interest free loans for big business and tax breaks for high paid consultants who refused to do more overtime this has relatively low cost in the context of the huge package of spending quite rightly put forward to help many people, and in my opinion only fair if we expect people to volunteer now to work for not very generous pay in such difficult conditions, and having seen the high numbers of deaths of doctors and nurses in Italy. I guess it boils down to whether or not it is correct to charge nurses for their own training in the first place - certainly helps to explain the nursing recruitment drop after these fees were introduced
Anyway, as an accountant of couse I take your point. Best regards
NHS morale and student nurses on 21:08 - Mar 28 with 1651 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

NHS morale and student nurses on 20:50 - Mar 28 by J2BLUE

May I refer you to the 80's.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

NHS morale and student nurses on 21:22 - Mar 28 with 1621 viewsJ2BLUE

NHS morale and student nurses on 21:07 - Mar 28 by shaunmahony

Fair question but this only relates to 3 years of nursing trainees as they have only had to pay for their own training for that time. Compared to interest free loans for big business and tax breaks for high paid consultants who refused to do more overtime this has relatively low cost in the context of the huge package of spending quite rightly put forward to help many people, and in my opinion only fair if we expect people to volunteer now to work for not very generous pay in such difficult conditions, and having seen the high numbers of deaths of doctors and nurses in Italy. I guess it boils down to whether or not it is correct to charge nurses for their own training in the first place - certainly helps to explain the nursing recruitment drop after these fees were introduced

I had no idea about the 3 years thing. Thanks for your reply.

I'll sign your petition, and when all this is over, hopefully we will not forget about truly valuing our medical staff.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

NHS morale and student nurses on 09:28 - Mar 29 with 1383 viewsWeWereZombies

Only 2,365 signatures! Come on TWTD, pull your finger out

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

NHS morale and student nurses on 09:46 - Mar 29 with 1347 viewsbrogansnose

NHS morale and student nurses on 21:07 - Mar 28 by shaunmahony

I don't believe we should be charging circa £40 G for training up nurses let alone charge interest on the fees. How is that meant to bring people into the profession while we pay over the odds for agency staff ?

Signed Sir and all the best to your daughter.
NHS morale and student nurses on 10:03 - Mar 29 with 1325 viewsMullet

My mate’s Mrs in the last year of training to be a doctor. Got a letter at the start of this basically saying she was being rushed through to go to work full time as a Dr. In her hospital. No mention of pay, conditions or anything just a list of stuff she would be responsible for.

I might ask him how and what the score is now, you’ve prompted me.

After this training should be funded and debts and wiped in my opinion.

Clapping for social media likes is not enough.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

NHS morale and student nurses on 10:18 - Mar 29 with 1307 viewsnoggin

Signed with pleasure.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

NHS morale and student nurses on 10:37 - Mar 29 with 1287 viewstonybied

NHS morale and student nurses on 10:18 - Mar 29 by noggin

Signed with pleasure.

Same here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024