Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sweden going it alone 12:00 - Mar 29 with 2162 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52076293

Blimey

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Sweden going it alone on 12:06 - Mar 29 with 2107 viewsEwan_Oozami

Wow!

"In contrast to the multi-generational homes in Mediterranean countries, more than half of Swedish households are made up of one person"

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Sweden going it alone on 12:41 - Mar 29 with 2022 viewsBloomBlue

Sweden has always had a strong belief about 'self-responsibility' whereas in a lot of other European Countries it's more a nanny state where people expect the government to instruction them to the smallest detail on everything.
Sweden going it alone on 12:52 - Mar 29 with 1979 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sweden going it alone on 12:41 - Mar 29 by BloomBlue

Sweden has always had a strong belief about 'self-responsibility' whereas in a lot of other European Countries it's more a nanny state where people expect the government to instruction them to the smallest detail on everything.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sweden going it alone on 13:07 - Mar 29 with 1959 viewsEwan_Oozami

As I've said before, the problem with the UK is that people tend to like strong government and hate the nanny state - but they also very much don't like being told what to do - which is what strong governments as well as nanny states are very good at. So sometimes they'll agree with the Govt telling them what to do, eg, now (as a consequence of "strong" government)- and other times say I'm not being told what to do by this nanny state.

This bipolar existential dilemma is what drives the behaviour of the UK population IMHO, and most people can't see their way through the contradictions thus generated.

The UK has a very strong belief about "self-responsibility" but that manifests itself in very contradictory ways - in Sweden, they see self-responsibility is benefit to society, in the UK, we see self responsibility as benefit to ourselves......

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Sweden going it alone on 13:11 - Mar 29 with 1933 viewsDarth_Koont

Sweden going it alone on 13:07 - Mar 29 by Ewan_Oozami

As I've said before, the problem with the UK is that people tend to like strong government and hate the nanny state - but they also very much don't like being told what to do - which is what strong governments as well as nanny states are very good at. So sometimes they'll agree with the Govt telling them what to do, eg, now (as a consequence of "strong" government)- and other times say I'm not being told what to do by this nanny state.

This bipolar existential dilemma is what drives the behaviour of the UK population IMHO, and most people can't see their way through the contradictions thus generated.

The UK has a very strong belief about "self-responsibility" but that manifests itself in very contradictory ways - in Sweden, they see self-responsibility is benefit to society, in the UK, we see self responsibility as benefit to ourselves......

"The UK has a very strong belief about "self-responsibility" but that manifests itself in very contradictory ways - in Sweden, they see self-responsibility is benefit to society, in the UK, we see self responsibility as benefit to ourselves......"

Unfortunately, that is very true. In the UK's defence the mantra of personal freedom and the notion of responsibility to the self have utterly dominated politics and social discourse for the best part of 40 years.

Pronouns: He/Him

Sweden going it alone on 13:17 - Mar 29 with 1897 viewsTractorWood

Bingo. Massive difference between self responsibility for a collective gain and self preservation.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Sweden going it alone on 13:17 - Mar 29 with 1898 viewsSarge

I sincerely hope it works and that the rest of the world has just gone overboard. I’m not all that confident but maybe Swedes are actually able to take self responsibility.

God I wish I lived there now!
Sweden going it alone on 13:54 - Mar 29 with 1817 viewsgiant_stow

Sweden going it alone on 13:17 - Mar 29 by Sarge

I sincerely hope it works and that the rest of the world has just gone overboard. I’m not all that confident but maybe Swedes are actually able to take self responsibility.

Yes to all that!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Sweden going it alone on 14:15 - Mar 29 with 1765 viewsnoggin

Same here in Norway. We have a word 'dugnad' which means unpaid work for the good of the community. Just about everyone here does some dugnad from time to time, be it residents of a block of flats cleaning communal areas, to parents selling coffee and waffles at kids sporting events, to raise money so that the less well off family's kids can take part. It is just a thing, nobody complains about having to do dugnad.

Having said that, the death toll from Covid 19, in Sweden, is much higher than here. Norwegians are criticising them for their lack of action.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 14:18]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Sweden going it alone on 14:19 - Mar 29 with 1727 viewshampstead_blue

Article in the Sunday Times feels they might regret it.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Sweden going it alone on 14:32 - Mar 29 with 1695 viewsNotSure

Sweden going it alone on 13:17 - Mar 29 by Sarge

It's definitely a brave thing to do. There must be enormous pressure to conform with the rest of Europe.
But then again, the rest of Europe is basing their strategy on figures coming from China. Which are undoubtedly massaged.
Sweden going it alone on 15:36 - Mar 29 with 1609 viewsGuthrum

Sweden going it alone on 14:32 - Mar 29 by NotSure

It's definitely a brave thing to do. There must be enormous pressure to conform with the rest of Europe.
But then again, the rest of Europe is basing their strategy on figures coming from China. Which are undoubtedly massaged.

If it becomes endemic in Sweden and everyone else has manged to avoid that, then they could become international pariahs afterwards, cut off from normal contact, lest they become the source of a new infection.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sweden going it alone on 15:40 - Mar 29 with 1587 viewsDarth_Koont

Sweden going it alone on 15:36 - Mar 29 by Guthrum

If it becomes endemic in Sweden and everyone else has manged to avoid that, then they could become international pariahs afterwards, cut off from normal contact, lest they become the source of a new infection.

That makes no sense. The whole world will have coronavirus until there's a vaccine. And even then it will still exist.

This is a good article that gives balance to what Sweden is doing when put against the strategy of a blanket lockdown. Lockdown is really needed to relieve the pressure temporarily and stop health resources being swamped, particularly in larger cities. But the overall spread can't be contained for any length of time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/as-the-rest-of-europe-lives-under-

Pronouns: He/Him

Sweden going it alone on 15:48 - Mar 29 with 1541 viewsClapham_Junction

Alternatively, as the article says, "There is a high level of trust in public authorities in Sweden, which many believe is driving locals to adhere to voluntary guidelines."
Sweden going it alone on 15:52 - Mar 29 with 1528 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's also a very big country with very few people.

And incidentally just about the only country in the civilised world with fewer hospital beds per person than the UK

KIds still in school too.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sweden going it alone on 18:49 - Mar 29 with 1336 viewsBogblue

Sweden going it alone on 12:06 - Mar 29 by Ewan_Oozami

Wow!

"In contrast to the multi-generational homes in Mediterranean countries, more than half of Swedish households are made up of one person"

I wonder if the stats in Norwich will be significantly different from those in the rest of the UK?
Sweden going it alone on 20:12 - Mar 29 with 1222 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A good place to share this...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-pol

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sweden going it alone on 20:15 - Mar 29 with 1214 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sweden going it alone on 12:06 - Mar 29 by Ewan_Oozami

Wow!

That's a lot do do with it. And they can generally trust their citizens to not be utter planks. Still a brave move, but they are testing and tracing more than us relatively.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024