Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... 12:30 - Mar 29 with 1876 viewsmonytowbray

But for those who similar to me suffer with MH issues (and those who don’t but are finding this a bit of a new emotional territory) it may help to look at things in a different light. I’m on day 16 of isolation BTW.

Bored of people telling us via their perfect social media portrayal of life to use this time to learn a language, practice yoga or hone their professional skills.

For some of us the regular functioning day is challenging enough without being shut in most the time, with limited social interaction, whilst there is a global pandemic and the entire world as we know it changes.

In fact, I’m sure some of you lucky enough to not suffer from depression and anxiety will unfortunately get an insight to the mindset some of us can spend months on end trapped in.

You’ll feel sad but beat yourself up knowing it could be worse. You’ll feel powerless and overwhelmed but you’ll need to put on a brave face for those around you. Some days you’ll autopilot through the functioning day only to realise you don’t remember much of it because your mind was elsewhere. You may find yourself far too dependent on unhealthy coping mechanisms relating to alcohol, drugs, eating and sleep. You’ll also occasionally be wide awake at 4am having incoherent rants on Facebook too.

In this weird time, if you can motivate yourself to work out, be creative, expand your knowledge or do other “goal driven” stuff, then do it and power to you. But also, don’t beat yourself up if functioning life was too much, so you stayed in bed watching TV all day and ate an entire pack of biscuits for dinner. If anything, right now the latter is actually a perfectly rational response for a change. Embrace it for what it is and remember those putting up hustler LinkedIn posts or balcony picnic Instagram photos are almost certainly hiding the fact they did exactly the same as you are just yesterday.

How I’m coping could be described as thinking of all the days you’ve got up at 6am and couldn’t be arsed to leave your bed. Or the weeks at work where you felt overwhelmed but had to plough on. Or when you were stressed about everyday life worries but had to deal with it. If you’re like me, all you wanted on those days was vanish and hide until it all goes away, but that’s never the sensible or viable option. Think of this as your only ever chance to do exactly that and call it a favour to humanity.

Love and respect to those I know on the frontlines right now. Do your bit for them and help them feel a little stronger too.

Peace.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 12:40 - Mar 29 with 1807 viewsnoggin

Sending a man hug Callis. I consider myself fortunate to be a frontline worker right now. It means I can go to work and have some meaning in my life. I don't know how I'd cope with being laid off and then having to stay home for weeks on end.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 12:43 - Mar 29 with 1801 viewsmonytowbray

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 12:40 - Mar 29 by noggin

Sending a man hug Callis. I consider myself fortunate to be a frontline worker right now. It means I can go to work and have some meaning in my life. I don't know how I'd cope with being laid off and then having to stay home for weeks on end.

I’m very fortunate for work as my main contract at present is with a publishing network who are still relevant throughout this. They’ve actually said they will keep me on after my contract ends in two weeks on a monthly rolling basis so that’s good. But it doesn’t feel much like a “purpose” compared to NHS staff and supermarkets.

TWTD never forgets…

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 12:46 - Mar 29 with 1787 viewsJ2BLUE

Completely agree.

I'm also finding the type of people saying that are the well off with no money worries, houses and gardens big enough to give plenty of personal space and those who know their perfect little life is going to go on once all this is over. Very tempted to stereotype here but i'll avoid it. It must be nice learning a language knowing once this is over you can go off for a month and live in luxury in that country to practice your new found skill.

It's interesting what you say about comfort eating etc. Sadly my vice and way of dealing with things for too long has been junk food. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Since all this began and I haven't wanted to go to the shops and i've just had the basics in i've actually lost weight effortlessly. Food isn't my problem. Sugar, fat and salt combinations are my problem. I'm hoping I can learn some lessons from this and take them forward when this is over to finally conquer my demons. There's no way i'm going to a shop and coming out with junk food. To me that is an insult to the NHS workers telling us to stay home. When I have to go i'll buy basics so I can maximise the time before I need to go back.

Not sure what my point is. Nice to waste a few minutes rambling though.

Feel free to post anything on here. We'll happily read it. You're not alone. So many are going to learn a lot about themselves while this is going on. Just got to try and spin it in our favour. As Fletch from Porridge said, little victories.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 12:51 - Mar 29 with 1766 viewsGuthrum

'But also, don’t beat yourself up if functioning life was too much, so you stayed in bed watching TV all day and ate an entire pack of biscuits for dinner. If anything, right now the latter is actually a perfectly rational response for a change.'

This is partly what I meant about needing a new mindset. We are in a situation where coping mechanisms are more important than maintaining social "fronts". Social isolation is all about finding ways to waste time when normal options are limited. Be that sleeping, watching sh1te TV or yoga.

Even the most furiously enthusiatic will run out of steam eventually. It's a long haul and needs to be approached as such. Energy must be conserved for the bad days (or the good ones).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 15:54 - Mar 29 with 1647 viewsNewcyBlue

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 12:46 - Mar 29 by J2BLUE

Completely agree.

I'm also finding the type of people saying that are the well off with no money worries, houses and gardens big enough to give plenty of personal space and those who know their perfect little life is going to go on once all this is over. Very tempted to stereotype here but i'll avoid it. It must be nice learning a language knowing once this is over you can go off for a month and live in luxury in that country to practice your new found skill.

It's interesting what you say about comfort eating etc. Sadly my vice and way of dealing with things for too long has been junk food. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Since all this began and I haven't wanted to go to the shops and i've just had the basics in i've actually lost weight effortlessly. Food isn't my problem. Sugar, fat and salt combinations are my problem. I'm hoping I can learn some lessons from this and take them forward when this is over to finally conquer my demons. There's no way i'm going to a shop and coming out with junk food. To me that is an insult to the NHS workers telling us to stay home. When I have to go i'll buy basics so I can maximise the time before I need to go back.

Not sure what my point is. Nice to waste a few minutes rambling though.

Feel free to post anything on here. We'll happily read it. You're not alone. So many are going to learn a lot about themselves while this is going on. Just got to try and spin it in our favour. As Fletch from Porridge said, little victories.

10 days ago I would be grabbing a share bag of malteasers or something on my way out of the supermarket. Emotional eating. Going back home without some stuff for dinner or lunch or breakfast the next day, feeling like I couldn’t provide for my family.

All because people were panic buying and all I wanted was some chicken.

This happened about 6 times.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 16:01 - Mar 29 with 1627 viewsJ2BLUE

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 15:54 - Mar 29 by NewcyBlue

10 days ago I would be grabbing a share bag of malteasers or something on my way out of the supermarket. Emotional eating. Going back home without some stuff for dinner or lunch or breakfast the next day, feeling like I couldn’t provide for my family.

All because people were panic buying and all I wanted was some chicken.

This happened about 6 times.

Must be worse up there than down here. Lots of stuff unavailable here but plenty of alternatives if you put some thought in. Obviously my point about insult to the NHS workers wasn't aimed at those who can't get anything else.

I'm braving Tesco express later. Other times i've been in they have been low on tins, pasta, rice and frozen stuff. Happy to have less choice though in return for less risk. At least in theory...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 16:13 - Mar 29 with 1583 viewsHerbivore

For some people doing stuff like yoga or learning a language will be how they cope with the current social isolation. I'm not sure it's a great idea to have a pop at other people's coping mechanisms because they differ from your own. Everyone needs to find their own way to deal with this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 16:37 - Mar 29 with 1531 viewsPecker

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 16:13 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

For some people doing stuff like yoga or learning a language will be how they cope with the current social isolation. I'm not sure it's a great idea to have a pop at other people's coping mechanisms because they differ from your own. Everyone needs to find their own way to deal with this.

This.
Login to get fewer ads

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 17:36 - Mar 29 with 1470 viewsBlueBadger

I consider myself hugely lucky that I not only live nicely out in the countryside where a good walk miles from anyone is easily done and also have guaranteed(albeit hair-raisingly scary) work and something genuinely purposeful to during all this. If I were still an office drone I'd have gone utterly off the rails by now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 19:55 - Mar 29 with 1316 viewsmonytowbray

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 16:13 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

I’m not sure that’s what I said either.

TWTD never forgets…

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 22:36 - Mar 29 with 1252 viewsHerbivore

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 19:55 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

I’m not sure that’s what I said either.

That's how it comes across initially. There are many good points in there too, but not everyone suggesting doing yoga or learning a language is trying to portray a perfect social media life. I'm not sure how helpful that kind of talk is.

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 22:39 - Mar 29 with 1244 viewsmonytowbray

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 22:36 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

That's how it comes across initially. There are many good points in there too, but not everyone suggesting doing yoga or learning a language is trying to portray a perfect social media life. I'm not sure how helpful that kind of talk is.

“ In this weird time, if you can motivate yourself to work out, be creative, expand your knowledge or do other “goal driven” stuff, then do it and power to you.”

That part contradicts that really.

TWTD never forgets…

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 22:47 - Mar 29 with 1231 viewsHerbivore

Copy and paste of a late night FB rant... on 22:39 - Mar 29 by monytowbray

“ In this weird time, if you can motivate yourself to work out, be creative, expand your knowledge or do other “goal driven” stuff, then do it and power to you.”

That part contradicts that really.

This was how you opened, which sets a rather different tone:

"Bored of people telling us via their perfect social media portrayal of life to use this time to learn a language, practice yoga or hone their professional skills."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024