Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This seasons dilemma 13:26 - Mar 29 with 2978 viewsArnieM

To play the games it not , to end the season or not, dilemma.

I think the Problem is that clubs in the relegation zone (say) with games in hand could argue it’s not fair to call a halt as it stands . They’d have a point tbh . But clubs well adrift for relegation or well ahead for promotion (less important really), or in Liverpool’s case , PL winners , I’d say their season is over.

Perhaps What could / should be done is for clubs with games in hand to be allowed to play them behind closed doors in May, then when every club has played the same number of games, that’s it . Table stands. There would be far less games needing to be played, and would be achievable. It would sort the main issues if promotion : relegation and allow Clubs to move toads future contract negotiations with their players .

Thoughts people ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This seasons dilemma on 15:46 - Mar 29 with 1447 viewsFixed_It

This seasons dilemma on 15:44 - Mar 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think he is suggesting that (next season happening as normal).

I think he is saying commit to finishing this season whenever that can happen and see what you do with next season.

Given that the situation is likely to significantly delay the start of next season, it is a reasonable approach.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 15:45]

Quite. Finishing this season whenever it is safe to do so should be a priority out of fairness to all. Then an assessment can be made regarding what to do with next season.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

This seasons dilemma on 15:46 - Mar 29 with 1446 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:38 - Mar 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think the big issue is that no one knows at all when it will return.

Once that is clearer a clearer idea of what can be done will be known.

Warburton was on Sky yesterday pointing out it is very frustrating for players not knowing. They all seem to be training at home in anticipation that the season will restart in a matter of a few weeks. They have to be ready for that eventually so I suppose a clear announcement that it won't would help them. It would mean reality hitting for the fan who just doesn't get the reality of the situation yet, though.

EDIT: He also pointed out that after an extended break there will need to be another pre-season to get the players ready again.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 15:39]

I see that argument and yes a couple of weeks training would be needed to get players up to speed following a break. That said, everyone in the country is waiting to know what will be happening and footballers are in a position of privilege in many, many ways. I'm not sure putting their minds at rest is a big reason to just cancel the current season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This seasons dilemma on 15:46 - Mar 29 with 1448 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 15:44 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

You just have a shorter season next season and move preseason and the transfer windows accordingly. I don't think it's a big problem really.

The issue then is how you shorten next season. There are ways to do it but would any of them be agreeable to those who have the power to decide?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This seasons dilemma on 15:54 - Mar 29 with 1439 viewsbluefunk

This seasons dilemma on 15:40 - Mar 29 by Pecker

Because you would have to finish this season, hardly no pre season and start again. Sides going up wouldn't have time to adjust there squads...…. can't be bothered. Just end the season now.

Why is next season more important than this one? No one is suggesting that football is important in the current situation but it is a vital part of life for many people when things do get back to normal (or something approaching normal

Finish this season, however long that takes, then adjust the next, and if that means no League Cup etc then, try and ensure the lower league revenue pot is somehow topped up, preferably by the Premier League realising their wider responsibility to the football family
This seasons dilemma on 15:57 - Mar 29 with 1432 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 15:46 - Mar 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

The issue then is how you shorten next season. There are ways to do it but would any of them be agreeable to those who have the power to decide?

There's plenty of possible ways to do it. I think the most likely as I outlined earlier would end up being more or less a half season. It's not ideal, but at least everyone knows what they're dealing with in advance. Given the lockdown is likely to be until June time I don't think the current season is likely to be finished much before August/September. By that time it's possible we'll be looking at another 2-3 months of tighter social distancing restrictions anyway, so next season realistically might not start until December. That gives enough time for half a season and a bit of a break before the Euros.

This seasons dilemma on 16:01 - Mar 29 with 1428 viewsPJH

This seasons dilemma on 15:54 - Mar 29 by bluefunk

Why is next season more important than this one? No one is suggesting that football is important in the current situation but it is a vital part of life for many people when things do get back to normal (or something approaching normal

Finish this season, however long that takes, then adjust the next, and if that means no League Cup etc then, try and ensure the lower league revenue pot is somehow topped up, preferably by the Premier League realising their wider responsibility to the football family

Agree 100%.

I think 2019/20 should be played to a finish even if that finish is six months or more away from now.

I think diluting 2020/21 is a far better idea than pretending that 2019/20 season never happened.

If we had been less than halfway through 2019/20 then scrapping it would not have been a major issue but being as deep into it is we are I think it must be finished irrespective of when that finish might be.
This seasons dilemma on 16:17 - Mar 29 with 1412 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 15:44 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

You just have a shorter season next season and move preseason and the transfer windows accordingly. I don't think it's a big problem really.

Euro 2021?
This seasons dilemma on 16:19 - Mar 29 with 1408 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 16:17 - Mar 29 by Pecker

Euro 2021?

Is next summer.

Login to get fewer ads

This seasons dilemma on 16:24 - Mar 29 with 1399 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 16:19 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Is next summer.

The players moan about being knackered at the world cup/euros after playing 1 season.
This seasons dilemma on 16:25 - Mar 29 with 1399 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 16:24 - Mar 29 by Pecker

The players moan about being knackered at the world cup/euros after playing 1 season.

So after a shorter season they'll be less knackered. I'm not sure what the problem is.

This seasons dilemma on 16:33 - Mar 29 with 1390 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 16:25 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

So after a shorter season they'll be less knackered. I'm not sure what the problem is.

A shorter season? You are compromising next season and the Euros for this season. Teams would be able to adjust in time. Leeds/WBA wouldn't have the time to bring in/sell players for a proper season, let alone a 20 game season. Call the whole thing off now and let all the teams have all the time they need in preparation for a whole new season. We are speaking as though this is all going to be over in a few months, when in fact, nobody knows when football will start again. It may not start again this year, it probably will, but who knows? If it doesn't start again until next year, then yes, finish this one and delete the next.
This seasons dilemma on 16:41 - Mar 29 with 1382 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 16:33 - Mar 29 by Pecker

A shorter season? You are compromising next season and the Euros for this season. Teams would be able to adjust in time. Leeds/WBA wouldn't have the time to bring in/sell players for a proper season, let alone a 20 game season. Call the whole thing off now and let all the teams have all the time they need in preparation for a whole new season. We are speaking as though this is all going to be over in a few months, when in fact, nobody knows when football will start again. It may not start again this year, it probably will, but who knows? If it doesn't start again until next year, then yes, finish this one and delete the next.

Yes, a shorter season. I've been pretty clear about that. I've been pretty clear about potential time frames as well and even taking account of possible further lockdowns later in the year.

This seasons dilemma on 16:49 - Mar 29 with 1374 viewsBlueNomad

People are losing lives, family members, livelihoods, businesses, education, aspirations etc. Football is not important. Expunge this season and start again. Getting promoted etc hardly matters at the moment.
This seasons dilemma on 16:51 - Mar 29 with 1372 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 16:41 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

Yes, a shorter season. I've been pretty clear about that. I've been pretty clear about potential time frames as well and even taking account of possible further lockdowns later in the year.

Think we will just have to agree to disagree about this.
This seasons dilemma on 16:51 - Mar 29 with 1373 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 16:33 - Mar 29 by Pecker

I don't think you appreciate the impact of this.

If the lockdown is 12 weeks, the possibility that teams will be training again on 15th June is possible. What you suggest is possible then.

That depends very much on the lockdown being completely over in 12 weeks.

This seasons dilemma on 17:17 - Mar 29 with 1366 viewsBlueBadger

This seasons dilemma on 15:26 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

If the season is ended now it would need to be expunged. No titles for anyone, no promotion or relegation.

...no sacking for Lambert. I don't think you've fully thought this through.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This seasons dilemma on 17:28 - Mar 29 with 1357 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This seasons dilemma on 17:17 - Mar 29 by BlueBadger

...no sacking for Lambert. I don't think you've fully thought this through.

He hasn't been sacked.

I guess you are assuming that if the season is done without us getting promotion he would be sacked. I am not certain that is the case. It may well depend on wording of any clause too.

I think the likelihood is Lambert will be our manager when we start playing again whenever that is. For how much longer is another question. This time is eating in to that 5 year contract isn't it?

This seasons dilemma on 20:16 - Mar 30 with 1318 viewsPecker

This seasons dilemma on 15:57 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

There's plenty of possible ways to do it. I think the most likely as I outlined earlier would end up being more or less a half season. It's not ideal, but at least everyone knows what they're dealing with in advance. Given the lockdown is likely to be until June time I don't think the current season is likely to be finished much before August/September. By that time it's possible we'll be looking at another 2-3 months of tighter social distancing restrictions anyway, so next season realistically might not start until December. That gives enough time for half a season and a bit of a break before the Euros.

Glad to see Harry Kane/England Captain agrees with me.
This seasons dilemma on 20:31 - Mar 30 with 1309 viewsHerbivore

This seasons dilemma on 20:16 - Mar 30 by Pecker

Glad to see Harry Kane/England Captain agrees with me.

So?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024