Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keir Starmer shadow cabinet 19:48 - Mar 29 with 9585 viewstractordownsouth

A few leaks today have suggested that Rachel Reeves will become new shadow chancellor, when Keir inevtiably wins. Not too keen on that myself.

Which names do my fellow paid up leftie tree huggers or people who'd be open to voting labour want to see in prominent jobs?

A few I'd put out there are: Dan Jarvis, Yvette Cooper, Stephen Kinnock, Lisa Nandy, Ian Murray, Roseena Allin Khan and Chris Bryant. Would quite like Ed Miliband back in some capacity too as he clearly has some good knowledge, if not the leadership qualities.

Of the current lot, I wouldn't mind having RLB as environment sec. due to her green industrial revolution policy, as Keir has said both her and Nandy will be given roles. Barry Gardiner and Jonathan Ashworth seem fairly sensible and Angela Rayner will rightly be in there when she inevitably becomes deputy leader. I think it's important to keep a few of them around to maintain unity, but there does need to be a big clearout.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 19:50 - Mar 29 with 6233 viewsHerbivore

I've always been deeply unimpressed by Barry Gardiner.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:06 - Mar 29 with 6151 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good thread on this posted earlier.

“ Starmer is set to request resignation of Jennie Formby and Karie Murphy - aides believe their handling of bullying/anti-semitism represents "gross misconduct".

"Young soft lefties who are brainy, who most people don’t recognise and who haven't spent last few years doing factional stuff."

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:06 - Mar 29 with 6159 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stephen Twottock you say?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-pol

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:09 - Mar 29 with 6151 viewskinnockers

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:06 - Mar 29 by Swansea_Blue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/stephen-kinnock-targeted-by-pol

My boy was dropping off essential supplies on my birthday. We were behaving responsibly.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:25 - Mar 29 with 6097 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:06 - Mar 29 by GlasgowBlue

Good thread on this posted earlier.

“ Starmer is set to request resignation of Jennie Formby and Karie Murphy - aides believe their handling of bullying/anti-semitism represents "gross misconduct".

"Young soft lefties who are brainy, who most people don’t recognise and who haven't spent last few years doing factional stuff."

I'm really encouraged by getting rid of Formby as she seems to be deeply involved in the mismanagement of the anti-semitism crisis. Likewise, the case against the whisteblowers being dropped would be great.

Would you be open to voting Labour if those changes were made, coupled with what is likely to be a more moderate shadow cabinet?

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:25 - Mar 29 with 6094 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:06 - Mar 29 by Swansea_Blue

Not his finest moment! Didn't put him as Health Secretary though!

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:41 - Mar 29 with 6051 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:25 - Mar 29 by tractordownsouth

I'm really encouraged by getting rid of Formby as she seems to be deeply involved in the mismanagement of the anti-semitism crisis. Likewise, the case against the whisteblowers being dropped would be great.

Would you be open to voting Labour if those changes were made, coupled with what is likely to be a more moderate shadow cabinet?

Ask me again in five years. Words are easy. Actions less so.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 20:42]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:43 - Mar 29 with 6054 viewsjas0999

Let’s hope the abysmal Corbyn is nowhere near the shadow cabinet.
Login to get fewer ads

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:44 - Mar 29 with 6050 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:43 - Mar 29 by jas0999

Let’s hope the abysmal Corbyn is nowhere near the shadow cabinet.

He'll be miles away, as will McDonnell and Abbott.

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:58 - Mar 29 with 6010 viewsCBBlue

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:25 - Mar 29 by tractordownsouth

I've never voted Labour (always Lib or Green) but would honestly consider it if Keir was leader. Been saying throughout the Corbyn years that we need an electable opposition to get rid of the Tories and that might just sway me.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:12 - Mar 29 with 5924 viewsClapham_Junction

Would be great to see Ed Milliband and Hilary Benn back. I also hope Clive Lewis gets a prominent job, and I think my local MP Rushanara Ali and Ben Bradshaw would be good shadow cabinet members. Longer term, it would be good to get Andy Burnham back.

I would be very disappointed to see any MP from the group that actively campaigned against the party prior to the 2017 election (which probably cost it the opportunity to oust Theresa May) allowed anywhere near the shadow cabinet, and that includes Kinnock and Jarvis.

Like Herbivore, I've not been impressed by Gardiner, and I don't think RLB would be good to include (sadly I suspect she'll become the new Diane Abbott in terms of who the nastier elements of the right focus on). Nandy is just so bloody depressing.
Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:37 - Mar 29 with 5874 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:12 - Mar 29 by Clapham_Junction

Would be great to see Ed Milliband and Hilary Benn back. I also hope Clive Lewis gets a prominent job, and I think my local MP Rushanara Ali and Ben Bradshaw would be good shadow cabinet members. Longer term, it would be good to get Andy Burnham back.

I would be very disappointed to see any MP from the group that actively campaigned against the party prior to the 2017 election (which probably cost it the opportunity to oust Theresa May) allowed anywhere near the shadow cabinet, and that includes Kinnock and Jarvis.

Like Herbivore, I've not been impressed by Gardiner, and I don't think RLB would be good to include (sadly I suspect she'll become the new Diane Abbott in terms of who the nastier elements of the right focus on). Nandy is just so bloody depressing.

Agree with a fair chunk of that although I don’t buy the “if the party was more united we’d have won in 2017” line. Part of the reason that election was called was because we were so low in the polls, so the argument doesn’t work.

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:38 - Mar 29 with 5871 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 19:50 - Mar 29 by Herbivore

I've always been deeply unimpressed by Barry Gardiner.

I wouldn’t mind too much if he’s not involved, I just think he’s one of the more competent ones of the current crop. Although admittedly that isn’t saying a great deal.

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:49 - Mar 29 with 5845 viewsHerbivore

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:38 - Mar 29 by tractordownsouth

I wouldn’t mind too much if he’s not involved, I just think he’s one of the more competent ones of the current crop. Although admittedly that isn’t saying a great deal.

He's always come across as being a mediocre blusterer to me. I think he's too 'old guard' as well and they need a bit of a purge.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:56 - Mar 29 with 5824 viewsRyorry

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:12 - Mar 29 by Clapham_Junction

Hilary Benn is a must have, I'd have expected him to be voted in as leader if he'd been willing to put himself forward at any point. Surely one of the most capable people Labour have, always speaks with great authority, and is widely respected both within Westminster and outside it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 23:10 - Mar 29 with 5798 viewsDarth_Koont

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 20:41 - Mar 29 by GlasgowBlue

Ask me again in five years. Words are easy. Actions less so.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 20:42]

No.

Accusations are easy. Evidence less so.

Now that we're all rightly looking at factual evidence to lead the way forward, we should extend that to party politics while we're at it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 23:24 - Mar 29 with 5761 viewsClapham_Junction

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:37 - Mar 29 by tractordownsouth

Agree with a fair chunk of that although I don’t buy the “if the party was more united we’d have won in 2017” line. Part of the reason that election was called was because we were so low in the polls, so the argument doesn’t work.

Something like 2,300 votes more across seven constituencies would have been enough to oust the Tories. While it's usual for MPs to criticise opposing parties, I think criticism coming from a party's own MPs carries more weight, and I suspect the work of Kinnock, Jarvis, Jess Philips and a few others who were regularly invited onto tv and radio to badmouth Corbyn and the party may well have given the Tories the edge.

A friend who was out campaigning for the party in that election was absolutely fuming with their behaviour.
Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 07:39 - Mar 30 with 5595 viewsChurchman

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 22:56 - Mar 29 by Ryorry

Hilary Benn is a must have, I'd have expected him to be voted in as leader if he'd been willing to put himself forward at any point. Surely one of the most capable people Labour have, always speaks with great authority, and is widely respected both within Westminster and outside it.

I’ve a lot of time for Hilary Benn. I saw first hand how excellent he was chairing some of the Brexit Select Committees and always makes sense, even if I disagree with his viewpoint. I hope he is included in the Shadow Cabinet.
Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 07:45 - Mar 30 with 5591 viewsElephantintheRoom

I hardly matters does it as the Tories are now managing a sh!t storm largely of their own making for th erest of this parliament..

The key position will be on health - already adequately filled and home secretary..clearly not filled

Other than that all he can do is distance Labour from the looney fringe and bang on about the self destructive idiocy of cutting vital services.

In four years time the message might actually start to get through.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 09:29 - Mar 30 with 5499 viewstractordownsouth

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 23:24 - Mar 29 by Clapham_Junction

Something like 2,300 votes more across seven constituencies would have been enough to oust the Tories. While it's usual for MPs to criticise opposing parties, I think criticism coming from a party's own MPs carries more weight, and I suspect the work of Kinnock, Jarvis, Jess Philips and a few others who were regularly invited onto tv and radio to badmouth Corbyn and the party may well have given the Tories the edge.

A friend who was out campaigning for the party in that election was absolutely fuming with their behaviour.

I remember Phillips and Kinnock voicing their public dissatisfaction with JC but don’t think it’s an accusation that can be levelled at Jarvis. I’ve just googled ‘ Dan Jarvis Jeremy Corbyn’ and can’t find anything.

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 11:08 - Mar 30 with 5448 viewsChurchman

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 07:45 - Mar 30 by ElephantintheRoom

I hardly matters does it as the Tories are now managing a sh!t storm largely of their own making for th erest of this parliament..

The key position will be on health - already adequately filled and home secretary..clearly not filled

Other than that all he can do is distance Labour from the looney fringe and bang on about the self destructive idiocy of cutting vital services.

In four years time the message might actually start to get through.

So a worldwide pandemic that I thought started in Wuhan, China is largely down to the tories. Wow.
Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 11:20 - Mar 30 with 5412 viewsitfcjoe

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 09:29 - Mar 30 by tractordownsouth

I remember Phillips and Kinnock voicing their public dissatisfaction with JC but don’t think it’s an accusation that can be levelled at Jarvis. I’ve just googled ‘ Dan Jarvis Jeremy Corbyn’ and can’t find anything.

The factional stuff shouldn't bother Starmer, you want the best people in and you want to be challenged - if they are the best people then get them in and keep them under control

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 12:11 - Mar 30 with 5367 viewsGunnsAirkick

I'd like to see Hilary Benn given a prominent role. Like his Dad he is a brilliant orator and he always impresses me.

Ed Miliband didn't work out as leader, but he's a very intelligent man and a good speaker, so I think he should be given something. He also seems to have come out of his shell and people seem to like his self-deprecating humour.

RLB should keep her current job as she's done a good job and it could potentially be a very popular policy I think. I wouldn't want her as leader though.

My main hope is Burgon is nowhere near the front bench, let alone given a prominent role.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 12:44]
Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 12:16 - Mar 30 with 5354 viewsRyorry

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 12:11 - Mar 30 by GunnsAirkick

I'd like to see Hilary Benn given a prominent role. Like his Dad he is a brilliant orator and he always impresses me.

Ed Miliband didn't work out as leader, but he's a very intelligent man and a good speaker, so I think he should be given something. He also seems to have come out of his shell and people seem to like his self-deprecating humour.

RLB should keep her current job as she's done a good job and it could potentially be a very popular policy I think. I wouldn't want her as leader though.

My main hope is Burgon is nowhere near the front bench, let alone given a prominent role.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 12:44]

Burgon would be the new Abbott if given a front bench role.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 12:56 - Mar 30 with 5292 viewsTonytown

Keir Starmer shadow cabinet on 11:08 - Mar 30 by Churchman

So a worldwide pandemic that I thought started in Wuhan, China is largely down to the tories. Wow.

The under equipped and under funded NHS are their fault though is the point
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024