Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Collard 20:11 - Mar 29 with 4449 viewsMattinLondon

Thanks to my dad and from reading various reports and books I thought that I’ve heard of the vast majority of Town players from the days of SBR who played fairly often for the club. But I have to admit that I have never heard of Ian Collard.

Anyway, went on Wikipedia and was sort of amazed that he played 92 times for the club but gave up on professional football when only 29. Does anyone know why this was the case?
Ian Collard on 20:16 - Mar 29 with 4069 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not a name I know either

https://www.where-are-they-now.co.uk/footballer/Collard+Ian/3630

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ian Collard on 20:19 - Mar 29 with 4057 viewsMattinLondon

Ian Collard on 20:16 - Mar 29 by Swansea_Blue

Not a name I know either

Thanks for that - was thinking that his retirement must have been injury related.
Ian Collard on 20:20 - Mar 29 with 4052 viewsPJH

According to The Who's Who Of Ipswich Town he was forced to retire with a hip injury.

I liked Ian Collard, he was a classy midfield player but ha a lot of injuries.
He played 32 games in his first season(1969/70) but the rest of his appearances were spread over five seasons-he started 98 games and made 13 sub appearances.

Played in both legs of the Texaco Cup Final win in 1973.
Ian Collard on 20:25 - Mar 29 with 4019 viewsWeWereZombies

I, just about, remember Ian Collard playing for us. I think he was one of those players who could turn a game, who had a few tricks up his sleeve, but was never consistent enough to challenge Colin Viljoen for a settled run in the side. Perhaps the best comparison would be Paul Mason. Also remember someone saying that he was around on the Ipswich 'scene' during his time here but I never encountered him, it might be that a leaning towards an alternative lifestyle didn't sit well with Sir Bobby either.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ian Collard on 20:50 - Mar 29 with 3987 viewsSharkey

Ian Collard on 20:25 - Mar 29 by WeWereZombies

I, just about, remember Ian Collard playing for us. I think he was one of those players who could turn a game, who had a few tricks up his sleeve, but was never consistent enough to challenge Colin Viljoen for a settled run in the side. Perhaps the best comparison would be Paul Mason. Also remember someone saying that he was around on the Ipswich 'scene' during his time here but I never encountered him, it might be that a leaning towards an alternative lifestyle didn't sit well with Sir Bobby either.

I associate him with the yellow away shirt.
Ian Collard on 20:55 - Mar 29 with 3974 viewsWeWereZombies

Ian Collard on 20:50 - Mar 29 by Sharkey

I associate him with the yellow away shirt.

That did seem to be the one stock photo of him that always got rolled out, didn't it? He did have the look for it.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ian Collard on 21:53 - Mar 29 with 3901 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ian Collard on 20:25 - Mar 29 by WeWereZombies

He had a good beard.

To be fair Viljoen was a proper star and apart from Beattie Town's best player for many years.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Ian Collard (n/t) (n/t) on 21:57 - Mar 29 with 3898 viewsThe_Last_Baron

He won the FA Cup with West Brom in 1968.

Looks like Callis.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/132363676533141513/
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 22:02]

Login to get fewer ads

Ian Collard on 22:56 - Mar 29 with 3826 viewsfloridablue

Wasn't he also a top squash player around the Suffolk sports league long after he stopped playing football for Town. Years ago someone connected to Towns stadium told me there was a squash court built underground near the centre spot east stand bar...is that true?
Ian Collard on 23:03 - Mar 29 with 3810 viewsmonty_radio

Ian Collard on 20:16 - Mar 29 by Swansea_Blue

Not a name I know either

I picture him with a low centre of gravity and a slightly crouching style. I think he was left-footed? He shared something with some of our modern-day casualties in that his return from the treatment room was reported on with decreasing anticipation, and his return there, sadly much more predictable. A neat, compact player though who shielded the ball well.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ian Collard on 07:11 - Mar 30 with 3709 viewsChurchman

Ian Collard on 20:20 - Mar 29 by PJH

According to The Who's Who Of Ipswich Town he was forced to retire with a hip injury.

I liked Ian Collard, he was a classy midfield player but ha a lot of injuries.
He played 32 games in his first season(1969/70) but the rest of his appearances were spread over five seasons-he started 98 games and made 13 sub appearances.

Played in both legs of the Texaco Cup Final win in 1973.

I remember Collard as somebody that if his name was on the team sheet, you wouldn’t say ‘oh no’. He was a good solid midfielder. One of ITFCs better players during Robson’s early years, if outshone by Colin Viljoen and Jimmy Robertson (an early favourite of mine) in my view.

I’d forgotten how much his time here was ravaged.by injury and that he played the Texaco Cup final. What a trophy that was. It reminded me of a spaceship on a stand.
Ian Collard on 07:41 - Mar 30 with 3681 viewsElephantintheRoom

That's a shame because he was a key player of sorts in a difinitive time in the club's history. He came from WBA in part exchange for Danny Hegan - the combined fee makes Hegan the most valuable player Town have ever sold by a considerable distance as it was over 80% of the record fee at the time.

He added a considerable wow factor has he'd played in the recent Everton v WBA cup final.... the one with 'that' Jeff Astle goal.... until then the notion of an FA Cup winner playing for Town was a tad fanciful.

His main problem was 1. he wasnt Danny Hegan and 2.he was somewhat injury prone

But he was a fine player as many of that team were, being able to establish Town in the top division at a time when England were the number one ranked team in the world and English football was at a peak.

He ran a restaurant in Felxistowe for a while I believe.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ian Collard on 07:47 - Mar 30 with 3674 viewsallezlesbleus

Ian Collard on 22:56 - Mar 29 by floridablue

Wasn't he also a top squash player around the Suffolk sports league long after he stopped playing football for Town. Years ago someone connected to Towns stadium told me there was a squash court built underground near the centre spot east stand bar...is that true?

Yes, that is true about the squash court......it was slightly towards the North Stand end of the Cobbold Stand. Not sure if it is still there, but was definitely there mid - late '70's.
Ian Collard on 07:56 - Mar 30 with 3661 viewsMeadowlark

As others have said, good dependable midfield player and one of the few who sported a beard in those days. A bit of class about him to be honest. Always seemed to make himself a bit of time on the ball and never let us down. Not quite in the same mould as Viljoen who got forward more and scored a few goals as well as really making the team tick when he was at his best. Collard was bit of an unsung hero I suppose. It's a pity he's nor more widely remembered but his early retirement contributed to that I guess.
There were a few in that era that were good solid professionals that never really got the recognition they deserved. Peter Morris, Colin Harper & David Best are three others that spring to mind.
Ian Collard on 09:43 - Mar 30 with 3604 viewsBlue_badge

Ian Collard on 07:56 - Mar 30 by Meadowlark

As others have said, good dependable midfield player and one of the few who sported a beard in those days. A bit of class about him to be honest. Always seemed to make himself a bit of time on the ball and never let us down. Not quite in the same mould as Viljoen who got forward more and scored a few goals as well as really making the team tick when he was at his best. Collard was bit of an unsung hero I suppose. It's a pity he's nor more widely remembered but his early retirement contributed to that I guess.
There were a few in that era that were good solid professionals that never really got the recognition they deserved. Peter Morris, Colin Harper & David Best are three others that spring to mind.

He was capable of adding that bit of flair without losing the solid side of a midfield role, and would have been more remembered if it were not for the impact of his injuries.
Enterprising off the field too, he ran 'Collards' restaurant on Felixstowe front for several years before and after he retired from ITFC. I remember it, but can't find an images on the net.
A good player and a nice cup of tea!
Ian Collard on 09:57 - Mar 30 with 3582 viewsRadlett_blue

https://www.oldbaggies.com/ian-collard/
Apparently we got £88,000 in cash plus Collard in return for Danny Hegan & in view of both players' subsequent careers, it seems that was another one that SBR got right.
Bill McGarry was clearly no mug either, shipping Hegan out to Wolves in short order & I think getting most of his money back.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 10:01]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ian Collard (n/t) (n/t) on 10:29 - Mar 30 with 3528 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ian Collard (n/t) (n/t) on 21:57 - Mar 29 by The_Last_Baron

He won the FA Cup with West Brom in 1968.

Looks like Callis.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/132363676533141513/
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 22:02]

He's number 8 in the final here:

I assume he was no. 8 in the semi-final too; if so there's a lot more footage of him in this video:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ian Collard on 10:46 - Mar 30 with 3485 viewsBluespeed225

His missus pops up now and again on the' Ipswich Remembers' FB page. I'm sure I read that he turned up to training on a scooter which Bobby obviously took a dim view of!
Ian Collard on 10:48 - Mar 30 with 3476 viewsPJH

Ian Collard on 09:57 - Mar 30 by Radlett_blue

https://www.oldbaggies.com/ian-collard/
Apparently we got £88,000 in cash plus Collard in return for Danny Hegan & in view of both players' subsequent careers, it seems that was another one that SBR got right.
Bill McGarry was clearly no mug either, shipping Hegan out to Wolves in short order & I think getting most of his money back.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 10:01]

Not sure if I am reading your bit about Bill McGarry correctly but he in fact signed Danny Hegan for Wolves from WBA.

Danny Hegan was one of the Jackie Milburn signed success stories at ITFC.
Ian Collard (n/t) (n/t) on 10:53 - Mar 30 with 3467 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ian Collard (n/t) (n/t) on 10:29 - Mar 30 by Swansea_Blue

He's number 8 in the final here:

I assume he was no. 8 in the semi-final too; if so there's a lot more footage of him in this video:

Some famous names in the Everton side. Joe Royle, Howard Kendall and Alan Ball.

Ian Collard on 10:58 - Mar 30 with 3454 viewsRadlett_blue

Ian Collard on 10:48 - Mar 30 by PJH

Not sure if I am reading your bit about Bill McGarry correctly but he in fact signed Danny Hegan for Wolves from WBA.

Danny Hegan was one of the Jackie Milburn signed success stories at ITFC.

Oops yes - McGarry picked up Hegan from WBA when at Wolves, presumably believing that his disciplinarian management would bring him to heel & get the best out of a talented player.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Ian Collard on 11:02 - Mar 30 with 3436 viewsPJH

Ian Collard on 10:58 - Mar 30 by Radlett_blue

Oops yes - McGarry picked up Hegan from WBA when at Wolves, presumably believing that his disciplinarian management would bring him to heel & get the best out of a talented player.

Danny Hegan was an important part of Bill McGarry's 1967/68 promotion team at ITFC so he knew what he was getting.

Also by signing for Wolves Danny Hegan knew all he needed to know about his 'new' manager.

My late uncles were Wolves fans and they liked Danny Hegan in his time at Wolves.
Ian Collard on 11:03 - Mar 30 with 3426 viewsmonty_radio

Not sure I'd want to classify Bestie as a good, solid professional. I've always felt he was among the top goalies that we've ever had. Certainly, "Diesel's" shot was solid though!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ian Collard on 11:04 - Mar 30 with 3423 viewsChurchman

Peter Morris, Colin Harper and David Best were all good players and played their part in Ipswich becoming a good side in the early 70s.
Ian Collard on 12:11 - Mar 30 with 3360 viewsHarlestonblue

Ian was from the north-east, a former mining village in Durham i believe. He was a direct swap with WBA for Danny Hegan. He was a decent, tidy midfield player for us, but if memory serves, he picked up some injuries and may have been in direct competition with Colin Viljoen. He was a friendly guy who I got to know after his playing career was curtailled, probably due to injuries.
He was manager of the sports centre in Stowmarket but moved to the West Country with his new lady. I bumped into him at Ashton Gate once , probably in our promotion season of 1992 under John Lyall.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024