Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... 08:36 - Mar 30 with 3548 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/church-goers-around-the-world-igno

Beggars belief.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:38 - Mar 30 with 2283 viewsLord_Lucan

Religion causes death shocker.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:39 - Mar 30 with 2279 viewsStokieBlue

Madness, although there is very little C-19 in Russia don't forget - Putin told us so.

As an aside, that church in the first photo is very impressive if anyone visits St. Petersburg:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:48 - Mar 30 with 2238 viewssparks

This is precisely what I was talking about the other day when I argued that religious beliefs affect day to day decisions which can do harm even amongst the 'I'm not pushing it on anyone else ' mindset.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:51 - Mar 30 with 2225 viewshampstead_blue

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:39 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

Madness, although there is very little C-19 in Russia don't forget - Putin told us so.

As an aside, that church in the first photo is very impressive if anyone visits St. Petersburg:

SB

One question I'd love to have answered will be just how bad it will get when the virus gets into the poorer countryside areas of Russia?

It will literally scythe through those communities and I don't hold out much hope for the poor souls.

We'll never know, but.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:59 - Mar 30 with 2207 viewsStokieBlue

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:51 - Mar 30 by hampstead_blue

One question I'd love to have answered will be just how bad it will get when the virus gets into the poorer countryside areas of Russia?

It will literally scythe through those communities and I don't hold out much hope for the poor souls.

We'll never know, but.

They might be fairly isolated though.

There aren't many main roads to those places, only really between the big cities and the trains have been stopped and Moscow and St. Petersburg are in lockdown.

If it gets to the smaller towns and villages it won't be good.

The same can be said about parts of Central America and Africa though.

SB

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:10 - Mar 30 with 2183 viewsLord_Lucan

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 08:59 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

They might be fairly isolated though.

There aren't many main roads to those places, only really between the big cities and the trains have been stopped and Moscow and St. Petersburg are in lockdown.

If it gets to the smaller towns and villages it won't be good.

The same can be said about parts of Central America and Africa though.

SB

Unless the heat can affect the spread of the virus (and looking at Iran it's doubtful) it could be carnage in India, Pakistan, Brazil etc

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:19 - Mar 30 with 2156 viewsStokieBlue

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:10 - Mar 30 by Lord_Lucan

Unless the heat can affect the spread of the virus (and looking at Iran it's doubtful) it could be carnage in India, Pakistan, Brazil etc

India is the big worry I think.

Massive population, high density cities and basically no testing - only 20 tests per million people.

They have done a lockdown now but might be too late.

SB

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:41 - Mar 30 with 2131 viewsLord_Lucan

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:19 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

India is the big worry I think.

Massive population, high density cities and basically no testing - only 20 tests per million people.

They have done a lockdown now but might be too late.

SB

It is chaos in India with workers in big cities trying to get back to their towns and villages, it makes the US evacuation of Saigon look like a picnic.

Login to get fewer ads

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:42 - Mar 30 with 2126 viewsStokieBlue

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:41 - Mar 30 by Lord_Lucan

It is chaos in India with workers in big cities trying to get back to their towns and villages, it makes the US evacuation of Saigon look like a picnic.

But they shouldn't even be allowed to get back - I saw them walking but they should have been stopped by the police/military.

They are essentially ensuring the virus reaches all the small towns and villages which don't have good hospitals.

SB

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:43 - Mar 30 with 2129 viewsGuthrum

Mind you, quoting a handful of examples from across the globe - many of whom are defying their own leadership by meeting - is like using the odd barbecue/party to suggest most Britons are ignoring the lockdown. The vast majority of churches, including the CofE, have gone online.

Bolsonaro, like Trump, does not believe in an objective reality outside of his own mindset. And is therefore insane.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:46 - Mar 30 with 2119 viewsgiant_stow

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:43 - Mar 30 by Guthrum

Mind you, quoting a handful of examples from across the globe - many of whom are defying their own leadership by meeting - is like using the odd barbecue/party to suggest most Britons are ignoring the lockdown. The vast majority of churches, including the CofE, have gone online.

Bolsonaro, like Trump, does not believe in an objective reality outside of his own mindset. And is therefore insane.

Thanks for balance Guthram - thought I must have imagined reading all those lockdown-breaker stories which had nothing to do with religion.

Just shows people will find confirmation for their own beliefs where ever they care to look.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 10:12 - Mar 30 with 2096 viewsLord_Lucan

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 09:43 - Mar 30 by Guthrum

In southern Italy there is potential civil unrest because people are already going out of their minds and they have no money for food.

God knows what is happening in the north, maybe they are more compliant because they have a closer concept of the death toll.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 10:29 - Mar 30 with 2072 viewsMullet

I saw a senior Rabbi in London condemned those still going to synagogue or meeting as idolaters worshipping the group not God, which in Jewish terms is an incredibly serious accusation.

Stupidity and Covid-19 do not discriminate do they?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:06 - Mar 30 with 2033 viewssparks

Worth noting that the Pope initially said his priests should still be going out and doing pastoral work.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:06 - Mar 30 with 2030 viewssparks

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 10:12 - Mar 30 by Lord_Lucan

In southern Italy there is potential civil unrest because people are already going out of their minds and they have no money for food.

God knows what is happening in the north, maybe they are more compliant because they have a closer concept of the death toll.

The North is generally a good deal more affluent I believe.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:14 - Mar 30 with 2020 viewsgiant_stow

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:06 - Mar 30 by sparks

Worth noting that the Pope initially said his priests should still be going out and doing pastoral work.

Pastoral work hey? The heinous villan. I assume social workers, police, NHS staff and charities looking after the vulnerable who continue their work are just as guilty?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:19 - Mar 30 with 2005 viewssparks

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:14 - Mar 30 by giant_stow

Pastoral work hey? The heinous villan. I assume social workers, police, NHS staff and charities looking after the vulnerable who continue their work are just as guilty?

No- it was the idea that religous / church leaders should somehow be exempted and go out spreading the virus around all the old folk they visit which bothered me.

Really not comparable to delivering food or medical care.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:23 - Mar 30 with 1989 viewsGuthrum

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:19 - Mar 30 by sparks

No- it was the idea that religous / church leaders should somehow be exempted and go out spreading the virus around all the old folk they visit which bothered me.

Really not comparable to delivering food or medical care.

Altho in many parts of the world, the Catholic Church is the closest thing to a social care network, lacking the secular structures we have.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:42 - Mar 30 with 1955 viewssparks

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:23 - Mar 30 by Guthrum

Altho in many parts of the world, the Catholic Church is the closest thing to a social care network, lacking the secular structures we have.

That of course gets us to another thorny issue- the whole subject of missionary / colonial approaches and the indoctrination of vulnerable people.

I do not know exactly how what you describe works- would I be right in my assumption that it is generally not the actual priests who are likely to be helping people out with general social care?

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:43 - Mar 30 with 1956 viewshampstead_blue

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:06 - Mar 30 by sparks

They have a large flock of young children to abuse. Can't stop God's work.

It is interesting how religion behaves in these times. You don't see Bishops on the telly preaching that God will sort it out. They kind of hunker down and probably hope no-one notices them.

I would be interested in hearing the American firebrands rational behind this.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:44 - Mar 30 with 1952 viewsgiant_stow

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:43 - Mar 30 by hampstead_blue

It is interesting how religion behaves in these times. You don't see Bishops on the telly preaching that God will sort it out. They kind of hunker down and probably hope no-one notices them.

That first line is really offensive.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:48 - Mar 30 with 1943 viewshampstead_blue

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:44 - Mar 30 by giant_stow

That first line is really offensive.

Harsh, yes, definitely. Sadly very, very true.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:49 - Mar 30 with 1939 viewsMullet

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:43 - Mar 30 by hampstead_blue

For a very vocally proud military man, you should probably tone down the rhetoric. It's not as if various atrocities and abuses haven't happened routinely in that arena either.

It's a bit like criticising the BBC still putting news reporters and presenters on the box because of the institutional failings of the past.

This sort of devout moralising from the armchair atheists just makes you all look daft and gloriously lacking in self-awareness.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:54 - Mar 30 with 1927 viewsGuthrum

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:42 - Mar 30 by sparks

That of course gets us to another thorny issue- the whole subject of missionary / colonial approaches and the indoctrination of vulnerable people.

I do not know exactly how what you describe works- would I be right in my assumption that it is generally not the actual priests who are likely to be helping people out with general social care?

It's the priests and the church networks. Part of the glue holding small, rural villages together when (often corrupt) local and national government doesn't effectively reach that far.

Think of it in Medieval terms, where the church was the only common source of education*, healthcare and social services.

* Which is why literacy rates in England went down after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:55 - Mar 30 with 1924 viewsgiant_stow

It's Ok God will save me, and me, and me, he'll save us all... on 11:48 - Mar 30 by hampstead_blue

Harsh, yes, definitely. Sadly very, very true.

Edited. Apologies.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 11:56]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024