Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. 13:56 - Mar 30 with 2125 viewshomer_123

But I can't say I'm not pleased to the back of a company that ritually prayed on the less fortunate.

Bye bye BrightHouse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52090976

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:06 - Mar 30 with 2040 viewsRyorry

"ritually prayed" - subconscious link to Hampstead's "It's OK, God will save me!" thread?

But yes, agreed.

Does you posting mean you're feeling a bit better? Hope so.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:06 - Mar 30 with 2041 viewsNotSure

It's an expensive business lending money to people with terrible credit ratings who move around and don't tend to pay the money back.

FCA regulations may have killed off Wonga and BrightHouse but where is the company that is going to lend money to these people?
Even Credit Unions can't stomach losses.
I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:07 - Mar 30 with 2029 viewshomer_123

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:06 - Mar 30 by Ryorry

"ritually prayed" - subconscious link to Hampstead's "It's OK, God will save me!" thread?

But yes, agreed.

Does you posting mean you're feeling a bit better? Hope so.

Morning by homer_123 30 Mar 2020 9:01
Symptoms broadly the same, the only difference this morning is the cough is worse and chest very tight.

Don't seem to have a fever but still getting the sweats (is that a contradiction?). Headache gone, still got a dry throat through.

Still very achy and feeling very tired even though I slept probably 10 hours or so.

I'm feeling worse as the day goes on though. Drinking lots (water).

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:13 - Mar 30 with 1994 viewsMullet

Bloke I used to work with said he grew up with the bloke who started it. Essentially a legal mafia style operation and amazing they got away with it for so long.

He will end up all right though, he rinsed out millions for years apparently.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:24 - Mar 30 with 1938 viewsGeoffSentence

Sounds a bit like the old Rumbelows Option 3 malarkey from a way back.

I had a 19" telly and a VHS recorder on Rumbelows Option 3 back in the early 90s, took 4 years to pay off and cost almost £1000 in total.

Anyway, how are you feeling today Homer?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:25 - Mar 30 with 1918 viewsfactual_blue

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:13 - Mar 30 by Mullet

Bloke I used to work with said he grew up with the bloke who started it. Essentially a legal mafia style operation and amazing they got away with it for so long.

He will end up all right though, he rinsed out millions for years apparently.

Where are Rediffusion when you need them?

(For younger readers, until the 1980s most people used to rent their TV sets).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:37 - Mar 30 with 1861 viewsfactual_blue

And bye bye Carluccio's

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:44 - Mar 30 with 1824 viewsKeno

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:25 - Mar 30 by factual_blue

True story,

My dad, bless him, didn't always get new fangled things.

When we got our first TV with a remote he get up out his chair, walk to the TV to pick up the remote then go back and sit down use the remote to change the channel then get up to put the remote back.

We also had a cat that would sit on top go the TV and try to stop snooker balls, footballs etc as they moved across the across the screen

Those were the days

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:09 - Mar 30 with 1768 viewsFtnfwest

are you feeling any better today chap?
I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:14 - Mar 30 with 1753 viewspeterleeblue

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:37 - Mar 30 by factual_blue

And bye bye Carluccio's

"ay that new Carluccios we will never ever go there"
Its an old Michael McIntyre sketch when talking about childless couples can do but those with kids cant
I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:29 - Mar 30 with 1718 viewsVaughan8

I always thought the same as the OP and thought these business did pray that n the less fortunate.

However, they do provide things for people who have a bad or no credit score and without them they probably wouldn’t get these items.

However there is plenty of decent second hand stuff around at the fraction of the price
I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:42 - Mar 30 with 1682 viewssparks

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:29 - Mar 30 by Vaughan8

I always thought the same as the OP and thought these business did pray that n the less fortunate.

However, they do provide things for people who have a bad or no credit score and without them they probably wouldn’t get these items.

However there is plenty of decent second hand stuff around at the fraction of the price

They absolutely prey on people. the rates are obscene. If people can't afford these items, then they certainly cannot afford credit at the rates offered by Brighthouse.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:46 - Mar 30 with 1664 viewshomer_123

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:09 - Mar 30 by Ftnfwest

are you feeling any better today chap?

Chest is tighter and very tired. But doing OK ta.

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:49 - Mar 30 with 1649 viewsRadlett_blue

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:42 - Mar 30 by sparks

They absolutely prey on people. the rates are obscene. If people can't afford these items, then they certainly cannot afford credit at the rates offered by Brighthouse.

Rent-to-own is legalised loan sharking, but didn't people who couldn't afford TVs rent them in the past and pay way more than owning a set would have cost them?
If companies light Brighthouse didn't exist, presumably some of their customers would be using loan sharks instead. Not a pleasant industry but something of a moral dilemma.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 16:53 - Mar 30 with 1575 viewslongtimefan

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 14:25 - Mar 30 by factual_blue

I think my parents and myself rented TVs well into the 90s. We both used the now departed Matthews shop on Foxhall Road.
I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 16:56 - Mar 30 with 1563 viewsfooters

I feel for those that have lost their jobs, I really do. on 15:49 - Mar 30 by Radlett_blue

Rent-to-own is legalised loan sharking, but didn't people who couldn't afford TVs rent them in the past and pay way more than owning a set would have cost them?
If companies light Brighthouse didn't exist, presumably some of their customers would be using loan sharks instead. Not a pleasant industry but something of a moral dilemma.

I've no answers to your question but it certainly says a lot about our society when these types of businesses are needed.

Besides, usury by any name is hugely sinful and we as a Christian nation should be ashamed for allowing it.

Amen.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024