Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why don't we furlough players wages? 15:26 - Mar 30 with 3175 viewsNotSure

Newcastle and Rotherham are a couple of clubs who have furloughed the admin staff but not management and players.

But this is a government sanctioned thing that pays a maximum of £2500 a month. It could save a fortune. Is it legal or is it because we don't want to upset the players.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 15:27]
Why don't we furlough players wages? on 16:21 - Mar 30 with 3088 viewsuefacup81

Problem is that players' contracts of employment are different to staff at clubs, or the 'man in the street'.

A player is guaranteed a certain income for a fixed period of time - even if you choose to make them redundant, you have to pay them off for the remaining term.

A furlough has to be agreed, and the general leverage with you or I is that if you don't agree to be furloughed then you'll be made redundant. However a player can just dig their heels in and demand what they're contractually owed.

The difference is likely to be at lower levels where a player wouldn't lose out dramatically by being placed on 80% pay.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 16:52 - Mar 30 with 3021 viewstextbackup

If footballers start taking money from that pot of money that’ll be me done with the game
Blokes with thousands in the bank can afford to sit on arse at home and not worry

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 16:57 - Mar 30 with 3010 viewsuefacup81

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 16:52 - Mar 30 by textbackup

If footballers start taking money from that pot of money that’ll be me done with the game
Blokes with thousands in the bank can afford to sit on arse at home and not worry

I understand the general sentiment, but would imagine that those from the bottom half of L1 downwards would probably have quite a need of that level of support.

We all have outgoings commensurate with our salaries, and a L2 journeyman's salary and outgoings are probably going to be no different from yours or mine.

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 17:39 - Mar 30 with 2932 viewsMaySixth

Because we are utterly clueless

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 17:45 - Mar 30 with 2915 viewsuefacup81

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 17:39 - Mar 30 by MaySixth

Because we are utterly clueless

Or perhaps because we have no leverage to encourage playing staff to be furloughed?

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 19:03 - Mar 30 with 2847 viewsElderGrizzly

Because you can’t furlough people who are working in any capacity. If the players are training, even from home, they are classed as working.
Why don't we furlough players wages? on 19:24 - Mar 30 with 2813 viewsBluefish

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 16:52 - Mar 30 by textbackup

a lot of league 1 and 2 footballers aren't any better off than the rest of us

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 19:56 - Mar 30 with 2775 viewsPhilTWTD

This is part of the ongoing talks between the Government, PFA, EFL and Premier League. Clubs will furlough players, as well as off-field staff, once there's an agreement on the matter from above. Meetings on this continuing this week.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:34 - Mar 30 with 2719 viewsElderGrizzly

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 19:56 - Mar 30 by PhilTWTD

This is part of the ongoing talks between the Government, PFA, EFL and Premier League. Clubs will furlough players, as well as off-field staff, once there's an agreement on the matter from above. Meetings on this continuing this week.

As the rules stand, they would have to effectively mothball the club and players would need to stop doing anything considered training/working (insert obvious joke here)

I assume this is what is being discussed and how to adapt this for the football sector. Off-field is easy enough to implement.
Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:38 - Mar 30 with 2711 viewsPecker

Would be nicer if they volunteered to defer some of their wages.
Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:45 - Mar 30 with 2696 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 19:56 - Mar 30 by PhilTWTD

If they don't the wages will soon cripple many clubs. I would assume something will be sorted out.

As much as players will have a lifestyle they need to fund, if they are not reasonable about it and are seen to drive club under the fan who ultimately pays their wages may not be very forgiving. I am sure it won't come to this on a large scale.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:47 - Mar 30 with 2687 viewsPhilTWTD

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:34 - Mar 30 by ElderGrizzly

As the rules stand, they would have to effectively mothball the club and players would need to stop doing anything considered training/working (insert obvious joke here)

I assume this is what is being discussed and how to adapt this for the football sector. Off-field is easy enough to implement.

I think they'll be lenient on clubs in that regard, the players aren't playing football even if they're keeping themselves fit. It will happen, I think, largely to help out lower division clubs.

Agree re off-field staff. Other clubs have already done it and I would expect Town and the rest to follow suit whether en masse after a wider agreement or unilaterally. Town haven't done this up to now and there has been no talk of redundancies. From what I'm told there is no intention of doing the latter.
Why don't we furlough players wages? on 21:36 - Mar 30 with 2601 viewsElderGrizzly

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:47 - Mar 30 by PhilTWTD

I think they'll be lenient on clubs in that regard, the players aren't playing football even if they're keeping themselves fit. It will happen, I think, largely to help out lower division clubs.

Agree re off-field staff. Other clubs have already done it and I would expect Town and the rest to follow suit whether en masse after a wider agreement or unilaterally. Town haven't done this up to now and there has been no talk of redundancies. From what I'm told there is no intention of doing the latter.

Newcastle of course one of the first 🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/30/newcastle-become-first-premier-
Why don't we furlough players wages? on 21:45 - Mar 30 with 2573 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 21:36 - Mar 30 by ElderGrizzly

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/30/newcastle-become-first-premier-

To be fair, if the staff are receiving full pay it would be silly for any company not to do so. That does depend on whether the company is making up the missing 20% though (I haven't read the article so it may say).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 07:47 - Mar 31 with 2427 viewsChrisd

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 21:36 - Mar 30 by ElderGrizzly

Mike Ashley making himself look good again. He's the gift that just keeps on giving, well not so much the giving part!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 20:50 - Mar 31 with 2262 viewsElderGrizzly

Why don't we furlough players wages? on 07:47 - Mar 31 by Chrisd

Mike Ashley making himself look good again. He's the gift that just keeps on giving, well not so much the giving part!

Spurs have just asked 550 off field staff to take a 20% cut in wages.

Their players (average salary 76k a week) have taken no cuts in wage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024