Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish 20:08 - Mar 30 with 1555 viewsitfcsimo

With what’s going on imo I’d just void the season.
Then start again in august (if possible)
Teams at top won’t be happy teams at bottom will be.
Whatever the outcome you can’t/won’t please everyone.

Lambert I’m sure secretly would love to void season and have this stuck from his record
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 20:14 - Mar 30 with 1534 viewsmonytowbray

Only a budgie would say this.

Honour the season as it is.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 09:59 - Mar 31 with 1359 viewsTangledupin_Blue

My solution, based on the expectation of the country returning to something like normal by end of June.

Automatically extend expiring player contracts from end of June to end of November.

A short 'pre-season' before continuing this season from late July. This gives players a chance to get up to match speed and gives time for ticketing and travel arrangements. Play out this season completing FA cup, League Cup, Mickey Mouse Cup (the one in which Exeter knocked us out) and all league fixtures. This would avoid the massive and ruinous problem clubs will face in refunding season ticket holders. If possible also complete European club competitions though this would need other nations to have ended their curfews.

The season would end by mid to late November and would allow a month or so of close-season before kicking off the 20/21 season with a full Christmas/New Year fixture list.

Next season... Cancel the League Cup; reduce FA Cup by cancelling qualifying rounds and reduce the League fixtures by playing each other team just once rather than 'home and away'. Next season would, therefore be completed, on schedule, by mid-May.

I think that this is the basis of a good and fair solution to all clubs.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:11 - Mar 31 with 1319 viewsPJH

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 09:59 - Mar 31 by Tangledupin_Blue

My solution, based on the expectation of the country returning to something like normal by end of June.

Automatically extend expiring player contracts from end of June to end of November.

A short 'pre-season' before continuing this season from late July. This gives players a chance to get up to match speed and gives time for ticketing and travel arrangements. Play out this season completing FA cup, League Cup, Mickey Mouse Cup (the one in which Exeter knocked us out) and all league fixtures. This would avoid the massive and ruinous problem clubs will face in refunding season ticket holders. If possible also complete European club competitions though this would need other nations to have ended their curfews.

The season would end by mid to late November and would allow a month or so of close-season before kicking off the 20/21 season with a full Christmas/New Year fixture list.

Next season... Cancel the League Cup; reduce FA Cup by cancelling qualifying rounds and reduce the League fixtures by playing each other team just once rather than 'home and away'. Next season would, therefore be completed, on schedule, by mid-May.

I agree with that.

I think your last line sums it up because cutting this season short is certainly not a good and fair solution to all clubs.

I think 2019/20 should get finished whenever that might be and if that means reducing 2020/21 then that is fine if everyone goes into that season knowing exactly what is happening.

Interesting and not surprising that a load of non league clubs are kicking up a fuss about the announcement that 2019/20 is already scrapped for them.

I think if 2019/20 does get abandoned then 20/21 might well get delayed anyway by multiple court cases objecting to the premature end to this season.
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:14 - Mar 31 with 1312 viewsitfcjoe

If we cn start next season, then we can finish this one and that should be the priority for all involved

If next season is run on a reduced timetable, it will be with rules agreed by all member clubs at the start of the season

Surely the only fair way for everyone?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:18 - Mar 31 with 1294 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:14 - Mar 31 by itfcjoe

If we cn start next season, then we can finish this one and that should be the priority for all involved

If next season is run on a reduced timetable, it will be with rules agreed by all member clubs at the start of the season

Exactly.

And as PJH has said above the non-League clubs (plus the likes of Ipswich Town Ladies) have good cause for griping with this season being voided.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:21 - Mar 31 with 1280 viewsPJH

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:14 - Mar 31 by itfcjoe

Fair, sensible, logical.

An incomplete 2019/20 does not come under any of those headings.
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:23 - Mar 31 with 1273 viewsSuperblue95

Terrible idea. A season 3 quarters completed is more important than a season that hasn’t yet started. If any season should be voided it’s next season not this one.

And this is coming from a man who despises Liverpool

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:28 - Mar 31 with 1251 viewsElephantintheRoom

If they can apportion points penalties in any normal season I cannot see much problem with starting next season with a points bonus.... ie everyone starts from where they are now.

Even whining scousers might be happy with such a masterful plan

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:38 - Mar 31 with 1212 viewsbefxblue

I think Euro 20/21 should be scrapped rather than postponed.

Someone is going to lose out money wise, it may as well be the greedy corporate sponsors.

This would give a chance to finish this season late, then start next season late with the option of running it to May/June.

Otherwise we will be playing catch up forever.

Unfortunately the corporate greedy sponsors wouldn't allow this methinks.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 10:43]
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:41 - Mar 31 with 1199 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 09:59 - Mar 31 by Tangledupin_Blue

But then the disruption on next season would be larger than that on this season if we were just to stop now. Seems pointless pushing current problems into next season if there's a good chance next season could start on time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:41 - Mar 31 with 1197 viewsITFC_Forever

Why punish the successful teams and reward the poor ones?

It should be played to a finish, whenever that may be.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:44 - Mar 31 with 1187 viewsRadlett_blue

Good idea. As professional football is now a multi million pound business, every club, league & association has their own agenda, which is primarily to protect their own revenue, while that of UEFA is to maintain their control of the game The biggest problem is that it's impossible to come up with a solution until we know when even some domestic leagues can re-start, although it's possible to construct a series of plans based on various starting dates. I think the "closed doors" is an unlikely option while social distancing is the norm, but it could become viable once some protocols are relaxed, especially to the Premier League & UEFA, more interested in protecting TV revenue. It's an unattractive option for the lower leagues as it would add next to no income. And yes, players coming out of contract will be a huge issue, involving agents and expensive lawyers.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:59 - Mar 31 with 1160 viewsTractorJack

There is a simple question for this: Why should next season take priority over the current season?
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 11:07 - Mar 31 with 1140 viewsParisBlue

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:23 - Mar 31 by Superblue95

Terrible idea. A season 3 quarters completed is more important than a season that hasn’t yet started. If any season should be voided it’s next season not this one.

And this is coming from a man who despises Liverpool

Agree. Easier to manage as well.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 11:40 - Mar 31 with 1112 viewspeterleeblue

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:38 - Mar 31 by befxblue

I think Euro 20/21 should be scrapped rather than postponed.

Someone is going to lose out money wise, it may as well be the greedy corporate sponsors.

This would give a chance to finish this season late, then start next season late with the option of running it to May/June.

Otherwise we will be playing catch up forever.

Unfortunately the corporate greedy sponsors wouldn't allow this methinks.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 10:43]

Interesting idea about scrapping Euro 2021.
Actually if anything should be scrapped then its should be World Cup in Qatar 22. Now that would be Karma!! We could then take our time completing and working in the next 2 seasons to suit.
Wont happen of course.
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 12:30 - Mar 31 with 1058 viewsBloomBlue

But if you reduce the League fixtures by playing each other team just once rather than 'home and away' isn't that going to decimate clubs financially? For example who would pay full price for a season ticket if they are only going to see 11 homes games instead of 23, meaning people would only want to pay for a half season ticket, but players would still be earning the same amount of number meaning income greater reduced but outgoings remain the same
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 12:48 - Mar 31 with 1018 viewsHerbivore

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 10:41 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

But then the disruption on next season would be larger than that on this season if we were just to stop now. Seems pointless pushing current problems into next season if there's a good chance next season could start on time.

But at least everyone goes into next season knowing it's going to be reduced. That's much fairer than terminating a season three quarters of the way through imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 13:01 - Mar 31 with 997 viewsEwan_Oozami

This season has to be completed - no club is in any position to prepare for, let alone start, next season yet while the Covid crisis is ongoing...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 13:21 - Mar 31 with 969 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You can’t just automatically extend player contracts though - some players won’t want to extend and some clubs certainly won’t want to continue paying players that are surplus to requirements

There isn’t an easy answer but if it’s not possible to complete this season in a reasonable timeframe, which is looking more and more likely to be the case, I’m struggling to see any logic in also f*cking up next season to try and salvage this one

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 13:47 - Mar 31 with 944 viewsRadlett_blue

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 12:30 - Mar 31 by BloomBlue

But if you reduce the League fixtures by playing each other team just once rather than 'home and away' isn't that going to decimate clubs financially? For example who would pay full price for a season ticket if they are only going to see 11 homes games instead of 23, meaning people would only want to pay for a half season ticket, but players would still be earning the same amount of number meaning income greater reduced but outgoings remain the same

The bottom line is that the game's revenue is going to be cut, from lost broadcasting & match day revenue. The obvious conclusion is that all staff, especially the highest paid i.e. the players, should take pay cuts. However, in the topsy turvy world of football, that never seems to happen. Spurs's 550 non-playing staff are taking a 20% pay cut. What about the players?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 15:33 - Mar 31 with 856 viewsportmanking

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 13:21 - Mar 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You can’t just automatically extend player contracts though - some players won’t want to extend and some clubs certainly won’t want to continue paying players that are surplus to requirements

There isn’t an easy answer but if it’s not possible to complete this season in a reasonable timeframe, which is looking more and more likely to be the case, I’m struggling to see any logic in also f*cking up next season to try and salvage this one

Your final sentence is the key here.

By elongating this season we're going to mess up not one but two football seasons.

SURELY, having played over 3/4 of the season, few could argue going with a points per game basis?

The decision could be taken now, players could go on extended leave/furlough and return (hopefully) post-peak in June/July for training as normal.
Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 16:44 - Mar 31 with 795 viewsHerbivore

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 15:33 - Mar 31 by portmanking

Your final sentence is the key here.

By elongating this season we're going to mess up not one but two football seasons.

SURELY, having played over 3/4 of the season, few could argue going with a points per game basis?

The decision could be taken now, players could go on extended leave/furlough and return (hopefully) post-peak in June/July for training as normal.

If you end this current season now it has to be expunged. There will be so many legal challenges it they end the season and go ahead with things like promotion, relegation and CL qualification. Sides won't have played the same number of times home and away and will have had very different fixture lists in terms of quality of opponents played and remaining. Of all the options, this is the worst imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can’t see how this season is going to be played to a finish on 17:47 - Mar 31 with 757 viewsstonojnr

What's the rush to complete this season though ? It's not like season 20/21 must start in August,chances are it wont in anycase, so what's the problem push the thing we havent even started yet back as long as it takes to complete the season we are still in first.

If they can delay the Olympics for a year the football leagues can work something out and all the contracts necessary.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024