Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... 20:56 - Mar 30 with 1537 viewsitfcjoe

....for the next Blue Monday podcast

May have got a bit carried away, but great to forget all about the situation we are in at the moment and lose yourself in something.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 21:27 - Mar 30 with 1467 viewshector_clifford

I don't think I have ever been as happy at a town game, as when Stewart made it 2-2 in the first leg. Even more than what happened at Portman Road and even Wembley in the final.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 23:14 - Mar 30 with 1361 viewstractorboy1978

I was 9 when we won the play-offs but I remember those two Bolton games blow by blow like they were yesterday. They were obviously amazing at the time but I often wonder how much more amazing they would have been if I was old enough to properly appreciate the magnitude of them (and to consume alcohol!).
Best football match and experience of my life... on 01:06 - Mar 31 with 1319 viewsunstableblue

.... it even topped the Wembley play-off final.

I just don't think those who have come to Ipswich since we left the Premier League can quite understand what the atmosphere was like on that evening,and at PR building to that night. After all the failed attempts to make the final, after all the progression in footballing style under Burley, it all seemed to culminate in that match. And it was a rollercoaster of fortunes

And just what a match. Magilton drove us that night,and oh how we've missed that lynch pin type player as a club.

Being on the pitch at the end. Amazing.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Best football match and experience of my life... on 02:28 - Mar 31 with 1294 viewsIllinoisblue

Best football match and experience of my life... on 01:06 - Mar 31 by unstableblue

.... it even topped the Wembley play-off final.

I just don't think those who have come to Ipswich since we left the Premier League can quite understand what the atmosphere was like on that evening,and at PR building to that night. After all the failed attempts to make the final, after all the progression in footballing style under Burley, it all seemed to culminate in that match. And it was a rollercoaster of fortunes

And just what a match. Magilton drove us that night,and oh how we've missed that lynch pin type player as a club.

Being on the pitch at the end. Amazing.

It still annoys me our game wasn’t televised. Neutrals would have got to see what cheating scum Bolton were that night.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Best football match and experience of my life... on 09:54 - Mar 31 with 1168 viewsunstableblue

Best football match and experience of my life... on 02:28 - Mar 31 by Illinoisblue

It still annoys me our game wasn’t televised. Neutrals would have got to see what cheating scum Bolton were that night.

Bolton really were aggressive with the ref that night, and niggling our players. The penalties look legit looking back. I think the Bolton players got caught up in the emotion of that balmy night, the crazy atmosphere, the balmy evening.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Best football match and experience of my life... on 10:14 - Mar 31 with 1149 viewsitfcjoe

Best football match and experience of my life... on 02:28 - Mar 31 by Illinoisblue

I mention this on the pod, they were an absolute disgrace that night from 1st minute to the last

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 11:03 - Mar 31 with 1112 viewsParisBlue

About 6 months ago I was visiting a client and got introduced to somebody mentioning they supported Bolton. I said 'I have 2 words for you - Barry Knight' to which his reply would not be permitted on this board.

Time did not appear to have mellowed him.

On a personal note I had managed to blag a 2 day meeting in London. I've often wondered what happened to the people next to be who left to "beat the traffic" just before 90 minutes muttering "same old Ipswich, rubbish etc..."

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 12:51 - Mar 31 with 1048 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 11:03 - Mar 31 by ParisBlue

About 6 months ago I was visiting a client and got introduced to somebody mentioning they supported Bolton. I said 'I have 2 words for you - Barry Knight' to which his reply would not be permitted on this board.

Time did not appear to have mellowed him.

On a personal note I had managed to blag a 2 day meeting in London. I've often wondered what happened to the people next to be who left to "beat the traffic" just before 90 minutes muttering "same old Ipswich, rubbish etc..."

Fair to say Bolton were delighted to effectively relegate us a couple of seasons later.

I still don't understand it. They would probably have won the game if they'd not tried to bully us - had some excellent players.
Login to get fewer ads

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 13:25 - Mar 31 with 1031 viewspatrickswell

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 12:51 - Mar 31 by PrideOfTheEast

Fair to say Bolton were delighted to effectively relegate us a couple of seasons later.

I still don't understand it. They would probably have won the game if they'd not tried to bully us - had some excellent players.

I think Burley’s side were seen as a soft touch apart from Magilton and possibly David Johnson. Roughhouse tactics got the job done for Charlton two seasons earlier and I dare say Bolton felt that we were under more pressure than we were.

It failed due to a combination of Knight not letting them getting away with it, Magic having the game of his life and the fact that 99-00 was one season in which Town displayed more mental toughness than seen before or since. Unlike today where going 1 goal down means game over, that team weren’t out of if they were 2 down with 20 minutes left. To come back from trailing 5 times over the course of the tie in order to win means that I put it just a smidgin ahead of winning the final in terms of how it made me feel. And I was following it on Ceefax too.
Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 13:30 - Mar 31 with 1022 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 13:25 - Mar 31 by patrickswell

I think Burley’s side were seen as a soft touch apart from Magilton and possibly David Johnson. Roughhouse tactics got the job done for Charlton two seasons earlier and I dare say Bolton felt that we were under more pressure than we were.

It failed due to a combination of Knight not letting them getting away with it, Magic having the game of his life and the fact that 99-00 was one season in which Town displayed more mental toughness than seen before or since. Unlike today where going 1 goal down means game over, that team weren’t out of if they were 2 down with 20 minutes left. To come back from trailing 5 times over the course of the tie in order to win means that I put it just a smidgin ahead of winning the final in terms of how it made me feel. And I was following it on Ceefax too.

Just loved the team and so lucky to have been in my teens during that period. Remember everything so vividly, including seat, who was around me at away games etc. Brilliant, and then we got the Premier League for a couple of years and I was fortunate enough to rarely miss a game.
Best football match and experience of my life... on 13:45 - Mar 31 with 1000 viewstractorboy1978

It shouldn't have been a straight red for Whitlow but how he wasn't booked before that I don't know. So it was just desserts in the end. The challenge on Reuser was an absolute shocker and to debate that being a second yellow is laughable.
Best football match and experience of my life... on 14:04 - Mar 31 with 991 viewsRadlett_blue

Best football match and experience of my life... on 09:54 - Mar 31 by unstableblue

Bolton really were aggressive with the ref that night, and niggling our players. The penalties look legit looking back. I think the Bolton players got caught up in the emotion of that balmy night, the crazy atmosphere, the balmy evening.

Bolton did decide to be very aggressive that night. Knight, to his credit, decided he wouldn't let them get away with it and while not initially waving cards around, clearly lost patience & ultimately Bolton lost their heads. Pretty much all the yellow & red cards were justified.
I have a different view of the penalties. Only the 3rd, when Johnno was hauled to the ground, was blatant. I think Jim dived for the first & Ritchie got plenty of the ball for the second.
Not surprised that Bolton fans were livid, though. The game wasn't live on TV and if we had gone away, had 2 players sent off & had seven others booked (not even a single yellow for the home team) & conceded 3 penalties, I think we would have felt something was up.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 14:44 - Mar 31 with 967 viewseastangliaisblue

Never before or since have i been in an atmosphere at Portman Road quite like that night.

From the off i always had a feeling that no matter how many Bolton scored we were always going to win.
Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 14:56 - Mar 31 with 960 viewsRadlett_blue

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 14:44 - Mar 31 by eastangliaisblue

Never before or since have i been in an atmosphere at Portman Road quite like that night.

From the off i always had a feeling that no matter how many Bolton scored we were always going to win.

Really? I'd pretty much given up when Mowbray went up front for the last, desperate assault. A also think Claus Jensen missed a 1 on 1 when we were 3-2 down.

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 15:24 - Mar 31 with 933 viewseastangliaisblue

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 14:56 - Mar 31 by Radlett_blue

Really? I'd pretty much given up when Mowbray went up front for the last, desperate assault. A also think Claus Jensen missed a 1 on 1 when we were 3-2 down.

Honestly just had a feeling the whole game that we would win no matter what. It was written for us to go up that year.
Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 15:52 - Mar 31 with 915 viewsRadlett_blue

Just spent well over an hour chatting about the Bolton play off semi.... on 15:24 - Mar 31 by eastangliaisblue

Honestly just had a feeling the whole game that we would win no matter what. It was written for us to go up that year.

I thought the same the previous year, especially when Kieron Dyer scored that late header to take the tie into extra time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024