Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NHS Nightingale 23:08 - Mar 30 with 3841 viewsStokieBlue

Quite an incredible achievement, a 4000+ bed hospital which is going to be ready in roughly a week.

An incredible effort from everyone involved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-52092253

SB
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 23:16]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

NHS Nightingale on 23:57 - Mar 30 with 2032 viewsBent_double

Agreed, they've done a great job in a short space of time.

I wonder if this will count towards the '40 new hospitals' we've been promised???

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

NHS Nightingale on 09:37 - Mar 31 with 1859 viewsBloomBlue

I'm sure they said on local London news last night once all 4000 beds are complete it will make it the largest hospital in the world
NHS Nightingale on 09:40 - Mar 31 with 1848 viewsLord_Lucan

It's amazing, I believe they are doing similar things with The NEC and SEC

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

NHS Nightingale on 09:41 - Mar 31 with 1845 viewshampstead_blue

It's incredible.
I am going to give a big shout out for the Army. Gurkha Royal Engineers among many others.

Does make you wonder why some things take so long......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

NHS Nightingale on 09:58 - Mar 31 with 1793 viewsNewcyBlue

NHS Nightingale on 09:41 - Mar 31 by hampstead_blue

It's incredible.
I am going to give a big shout out for the Army. Gurkha Royal Engineers among many others.

Does make you wonder why some things take so long......

Let’s hope the oxygen thief that is Farage sees this

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

NHS Nightingale on 10:15 - Mar 31 with 1758 viewsm14_blue

NHS Nightingale on 09:40 - Mar 31 by Lord_Lucan

It's amazing, I believe they are doing similar things with The NEC and SEC

Yep, and the g-Mex.

Quite incredible effort.
NHS Nightingale on 10:20 - Mar 31 with 1733 viewsfooters

How did the public sector pull this off without the help of an efficient private sector partner like Serco or Capita?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

NHS Nightingale on 10:21 - Mar 31 with 1725 viewssparks

NHS Nightingale on 10:20 - Mar 31 by footers

How did the public sector pull this off without the help of an efficient private sector partner like Serco or Capita?

The Army?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

NHS Nightingale on 10:26 - Mar 31 with 1703 viewsElephantintheRoom

Too little too late - its essentially a gigantic PR exercise - albeit an impressively effective one..

Have you any idea what the population of London is - and how soon this will be full - if needed? And where any ventilators needed might come from as the proper hospitals are already desperately short.

Just imagine if we had a government that prioritised health care and the economy over tax cuts and poisonous EU dogma.... it might not have been necessary in the first place.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

NHS Nightingale on 10:31 - Mar 31 with 1685 viewsStokieBlue

NHS Nightingale on 10:26 - Mar 31 by ElephantintheRoom

Too little too late - its essentially a gigantic PR exercise - albeit an impressively effective one..

Have you any idea what the population of London is - and how soon this will be full - if needed? And where any ventilators needed might come from as the proper hospitals are already desperately short.

Just imagine if we had a government that prioritised health care and the economy over tax cuts and poisonous EU dogma.... it might not have been necessary in the first place.

I don't think your daily moan is particularly helpful.

Yes I know how big London is, I live here.

It's 4000 to 5000 more beds than they had before and they estimate London will need ~8000, the other 3000 coming from hospital converting their spaces.

I think everyone can agree healthcare needs more funding but are you suggesting that London alone should have 8000 more ICU beds at all times? That is clearly nonsense. More beds would have been necessary regardless of the funding - that can been seen from the evidence from every country in the world.

SB
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 10:35]

NHS Nightingale on 10:35 - Mar 31 with 1662 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS Nightingale on 10:31 - Mar 31 by StokieBlue

It's 4000 to 5000 more beds than they had before and they estimate London will need ~8000, the other 3000 coming from hospital converting their spaces.

I think everyone can agree healthcare needs more funding but are you suggesting that London alone should have 8000 more ICU beds at all times? That is clearly nonsense. More beds would have been necessary regardless of the funding - that can been seen from the evidence from every country in the world.

SB

An interesting read from the New Statesman

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/03/why-weren-t-we-ready

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

NHS Nightingale on 10:36 - Mar 31 with 1660 viewssparks

Why is this budgie troll still here?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

NHS Nightingale on 10:46 - Mar 31 with 1618 viewsbrazil1982

A PR stunt? Really?
NHS Nightingale on 10:49 - Mar 31 with 1605 viewssparks

NHS Nightingale on 10:46 - Mar 31 by brazil1982

A PR stunt? Really?

Its pathetic and verging on offensive given the efforts people are going to to try to help one another.

NHS Nightingale on 10:50 - Mar 31 with 1600 viewsStokieBlue

NHS Nightingale on 10:35 - Mar 31 by GlasgowBlue

An interesting read from the New Statesman

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/03/why-weren-t-we-ready

Interesting article which I think highlights some of the difficulties the government have had with the moving situation. Also highlights that things like ventilators could have been purchased previously though.

I think this line is key:

“even in a full pandemic… people should only stay at home if they have symptoms”

Covid19 is unusual in that it is transmissible whilst you have no symptoms. This wasn't the case for SARS at all and isn't the case for flu (asymptomatic people transfer far less than symptomatic). It makes a lot of the historical planning documents fairly useless.

SB

NHS Nightingale on 10:54 - Mar 31 with 1567 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS Nightingale on 10:50 - Mar 31 by StokieBlue

Interesting article which I think highlights some of the difficulties the government have had with the moving situation. Also highlights that things like ventilators could have been purchased previously though.

“even in a full pandemic… people should only stay at home if they have symptoms”

Covid19 is unusual in that it is transmissible whilst you have no symptoms. This wasn't the case for SARS at all and isn't the case for flu (asymptomatic people transfer far less than symptomatic). It makes a lot of the historical planning documents fairly useless.

SB

Also not helped by the Chinese muddying the waters via WHO just two months ago

Despite Taiwan public health officials warning WHO of potential human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus in December.

Iron Lion Zion

NHS Nightingale on 10:54 - Mar 31 with 1570 viewsBloomBlue

NHS Nightingale on 10:31 - Mar 31 by StokieBlue

SB

I thought it was interesting Andy Burnham made the point the other day he wouldn't criticise the Gov for lack of ICU beds as he was health secretary when Swine Flu hit and he was desperate to find ICU capacity as they didn't have enough then even though Labour had been in power for 10 years and spending billions on the NHS and this is worse than swine flu.
He made the point you cannot have 50,000 ICU beds sitting there never used for 10, 15, 20 years but what you need is the ability to build/create that capacity quickly.
NHS Nightingale on 10:56 - Mar 31 with 1569 viewsPinewoodblue

NHS Nightingale on 10:50 - Mar 31 by StokieBlue

SB

the Initial response to what was happening has caused problems but the response to those problems has been very good.

Human error is the viruses best friend.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

NHS Nightingale on 10:57 - Mar 31 with 1561 viewsGlasgowBlue

NHS Nightingale on 10:54 - Mar 31 by BloomBlue

I thought it was interesting Andy Burnham made the point the other day he wouldn't criticise the Gov for lack of ICU beds as he was health secretary when Swine Flu hit and he was desperate to find ICU capacity as they didn't have enough then even though Labour had been in power for 10 years and spending billions on the NHS and this is worse than swine flu.
He made the point you cannot have 50,000 ICU beds sitting there never used for 10, 15, 20 years but what you need is the ability to build/create that capacity quickly.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is a very small minority of posters who are using this crisis to score cheap political points.

Iron Lion Zion

NHS Nightingale on 11:14 - Mar 31 with 1520 viewsLord_Lucan

NHS Nightingale on 10:57 - Mar 31 by GlasgowBlue

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there is a very small minority of posters who are using this crisis to score cheap political points.

They are simply enjoying rowing against the tide, the sort of people you do definitely don't want next to you in a crisis.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

NHS Nightingale on 11:32 - Mar 31 with 1441 viewsBlueBadger

It must be difficult being an Internet Edgelord at the moment what with even most of the conservative party attempting to be decent human beings at the moment.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

NHS Nightingale on 11:33 - Mar 31 with 1436 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't think it's a PR stunt, more a desperate last ditch effort to provide a little bit of extra capacity. But it's tiny in the grand scheme of things. We've lost over 160,000 beds in the NHS in England alone over the last 30 years.

If this new facility can save a few lives then that's fantastic for those people, so it's well worth doing, but we should have this type of extra capacity in the system already.

That excellent article posted yesterday sums up the desperate position we're in pretty well:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/03/30/chris-cook-coronavirus-nhs-at-capac

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

NHS Nightingale on 11:36 - Mar 31 with 1428 viewssparks

NHS Nightingale on 11:33 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think it's a PR stunt, more a desperate last ditch effort to provide a little bit of extra capacity. But it's tiny in the grand scheme of things. We've lost over 160,000 beds in the NHS in England alone over the last 30 years.

If this new facility can save a few lives then that's fantastic for those people, so it's well worth doing, but we should have this type of extra capacity in the system already.

That excellent article posted yesterday sums up the desperate position we're in pretty well:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/03/30/chris-cook-coronavirus-nhs-at-capac

In fairness- this is about ICU beds not beds as a whole, which is a different (though connected) matter.

NHS Nightingale on 11:41 - Mar 31 with 1417 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just to add, we'd welcome something like this in Wales. We've about 170-180 critical care beds for the whole of Wales. Bangor, where people were flocking to the nearby Snowdonia in there thousands just over a week ago, has 6 ICU beds apparently.

But we have been testing NHS frontline staff for a couple of weeks now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

NHS Nightingale on 11:42 - Mar 31 with 1411 viewsBlueBadger

NHS Nightingale on 11:36 - Mar 31 by sparks

In fairness- this is about ICU beds not beds as a whole, which is a different (though connected) matter.

Going into this, we had just over half the capacity Italy(swamped very quickly) had. After the H1N1 outbreak of 2009/10 recommendations were made to increase capacity. They were ignored.

Every winter has seen increasing strain on beds due to entirely predictable increases in demand - yet capacity has gone down and support services such as social care and community services have been cut and fragmented. This is all a hurried, gambled, desperate game of catch-up on the part of a government that has been wilfully running services down chasing the 'private sector will fix all' dogma.

Even now they're still doing it - the refusal to co-operate with the EU on ventilators supplies and PPE is still woefully short and inadequate.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2020 13:42]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024