Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... 11:12 - Apr 1 with 961 viewsITFC_Forever

And having had a massive rant about football clubs doing this on Joe's thread below and also on Twitter last night, it is slightly more understandable for a L1 club that doesn't get the income the Prem and top-end Champ clubs do. But I still don't agree with it.

That said, I would happily support the Government telling football clubs they are not eligible to do this.

Football as an industry has been paying the players far more than is sustainable for many, many years now.... this wouldn't happen in any other industry, so why should it happen in football?

If a few clubs go bust as a result, then while it is a shame for the fans of those particular clubs, for the rest of the game it should be the long-overdue wake-up call that football needs to get its house in order and very quickly.

What's needed is a strong and stringent independent regulator, as the current people in charge are incapable of running the sport.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:15 - Apr 1 with 937 viewsVaughan8

Why shouldn't football clubs put their staff on Furlough?

Like it or not, they are run like a business.

Surely paying people 80% of their wages is better than letting them go or am I missing something?
ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:19 - Apr 1 with 903 viewsITFC_Forever

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:15 - Apr 1 by Vaughan8

Surely paying people 80% of their wages is better than letting them go or am I missing something?

Why should footballers be paid more than the clubs afford, and continue to receive their wages in full, while the regular workers face the prospect of furlough or being laid off?

Virtually all clubs are run at a very significant loss (every day or so, the Price Of Football twitter account tells us who the latest ones are), and pay their players far, far more than their income (sometimes even double).

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:19 - Apr 1 with 901 viewsJakeITFC

It's my opinion that the football club is well within its rights to claim the government help for paying staff as almost all of its revenue has dried up.

What I don't agree with is playing members of the squad getting full pay as if nothing has happened and the regular people requiring a bailout. If we can afford to pay the players then we can afford to pay the regular staff.

This is especially galling for a club like Tottenham who could probably chip 10% off their players weekly wage and not rely on the government help at all.
ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:26 - Apr 1 with 862 viewstextbackup

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:15 - Apr 1 by Vaughan8

whilst the fcking players still earn their £3-10k's a week? morally very fcking wrong and you know it.

shameful situation. hope the clubs are told to fck off
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 11:27]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:30 - Apr 1 with 834 viewsStokieBlue

Why can't the players be put on furlough as well?

Might do some of them some good to be on 2500 per month.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:39 - Apr 1 with 803 viewsitfcjoe

I think, and it isn't bias, that it is much more understandable for a L1 club needing to do so and in reality would take a significant deferral of wages from lower paid players to raise the required funds.

It doesn't sit right with me either way, but asking players on £2-3k a week to take a 20-30% paycut is very different from those earning 10's of thousands of pounds a week.

My wife was a mortgage adviser and has done a couple of ex-players mortgages - these can be mortgages of £3-400k that can't run past their 35th birthday so have huge monthly repayments. Whereas no-one earning £40k a week is going to be struggling to meet any necessary payments.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:42 - Apr 1 with 787 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:30 - Apr 1 by StokieBlue

SB

If they are furloughed they would effectively be unemployed, so club wouldn't be able to set them fitness routines, and have them do them with feedback from physio team etc, or have ongoing treatment.

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:45 - Apr 1 with 767 viewsBrightonBlue

SB

Would love that to happen. Moving forward and as we embrace the 'new ordinary' i just wish/hope that the hyper inflated football market is reset, along with the ridiculous and self-centred world of parading social media "stars". They are so irrelevant when compared to the real world and the work of people that actually make a fundamental difference e.g epidemiologists, doctors, nurses etc... (list could go on but you get the gist).
Login to get fewer ads

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:47 - Apr 1 with 757 viewsVaughan8

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:19 - Apr 1 by ITFC_Forever

Why should footballers be paid more than the clubs afford, and continue to receive their wages in full, while the regular workers face the prospect of furlough or being laid off?

Virtually all clubs are run at a very significant loss (every day or so, the Price Of Football twitter account tells us who the latest ones are), and pay their players far, far more than their income (sometimes even double).

Sorry I thought you meant the players as well.

As joe said, they can't furlough the players. Its down to them to take a pay cut if they feel that is the right thing.

However, as much we think they earn loads, people live to what they earn. They might need their £5k a week to pay all their bills etc.

Without knowing everything you can't really say what is right.

However, as you say, players are paid far too much of the clubs earnings in most clubs and this probably should have been addressed years ago.
ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:52 - Apr 1 with 730 viewshomer_123

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:42 - Apr 1 by itfcjoe

If they are furloughed they would effectively be unemployed, so club wouldn't be able to set them fitness routines, and have them do them with feedback from physio team etc, or have ongoing treatment.

No, furloughing doesn't mean you are unemployed, the absolute opposite in fact.

Your employment contract stays intact - you are still an employee, your employer pays your wages and the employer claims it back from the Gov.

The issue with players is that they have a completely different kind of contract which means they cannot be furloughed in current usage.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:52 - Apr 1 with 725 viewshomer_123

SB

Different type of employment contract means they cannot be furloughed under the Govs current process.

That doesn't stop clubs asking players to take unpaid leave etc.

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:53 - Apr 1 with 719 viewsJakeITFC

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:52 - Apr 1 by homer_123

Your employment contract stays intact - you are still an employee, your employer pays your wages and the employer claims it back from the Gov.

The issue with players is that they have a completely different kind of contract which means they cannot be furloughed in current usage.

Does mean they can't do any work though surely?
ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:54 - Apr 1 with 714 viewshomer_123

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:53 - Apr 1 by JakeITFC

Does mean they can't do any work though surely?

They cannot work for the employer that they are furloughing them.

Mute as football isn't happening - it doesn't mean they cannot stay fit, keep healthy etc.

They can work for someone else though (assuming they gain permission from their employer is said contract doesn't allow them to).
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 11:55]

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:54 - Apr 1 with 713 viewsitfcjoe

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:52 - Apr 1 by homer_123

It means you can't do any work for your employer, which in the context of what I've posted basically makes them unemployed

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:57 - Apr 1 with 701 viewshomer_123

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 11:54 - Apr 1 by itfcjoe

It means you can't do any work for your employer, which in the context of what I've posted basically makes them unemployed

I understand what you are saying Joe (and the context you are suggesting) but it is incredibly important for people to understand that furlough does not equate to being unemployed.

Some will read that and think it applies to them (if they have been furloughed) and they are now unemployed, which they most certainly aren't.

ITFC now close to furloughing staff.... on 12:16 - Apr 1 with 658 viewsGuthrum

Furloughing staff means they aren't being put at risk by having to go into work (indeed, there might not be very much for them to do, anyway) and they will receive at least 80% of their normal wages (more, if the club is generous and makes up the shortfall). Can't see a problem with that.

The players may still be on big money, but do we know the club doesn't have some kind of insurance to cover such things?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024