Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More worrying news from India 16:39 - Apr 1 with 672 viewsStokieBlue

The first case has been confirmed in India's biggest slum in Mumbai. Given that it's likely it's been there at least a week:

"In worrying news from India, the first case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Mumbai’s Dharavi slum, according to local media. Up to a million people live crowded together in Dharavi, an area of just over 2.1 square kilometres."

For comparison Ipswich has ~135,000 people in ~40 square kilometers. People can't social distance in that kind of density.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

More worrying news from India on 16:44 - Apr 1 with 650 viewsbluelagos

Did you see the BBC report from Lagos on yesterday's news?

I think we are genuinely going to witness a humanitarian disaster unfold in front of us :-(

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

More worrying news from India on 16:47 - Apr 1 with 641 viewsStokieBlue

More worrying news from India on 16:44 - Apr 1 by bluelagos

Did you see the BBC report from Lagos on yesterday's news?

I think we are genuinely going to witness a humanitarian disaster unfold in front of us :-(

I didn't see it on the news but I did read a number of articles on Lagos from various sources. Doesn't sound good as you say and people don't have the safety net of the government providing funds that has been required in other countries.

I saw that the CAR only had 3 ventilators in the whole country as well. Also that people needed a note to leave their homes and go to hospital if they are ill in Uganda.

I fear you are right. If 550 people can die in the UK with everything we are doing and the medical services we have it really doesn't bear thinking about what could happen.

SB
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 16:48]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

More worrying news from India on 17:03 - Apr 1 with 582 viewshampstead_blue

Inevitable and very sad

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

More worrying news from India on 17:14 - Apr 1 with 555 viewsGuthrum

Even if they could, there is no means for them to support themselves. It may be a stark choice between Covid-19 and starvation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

More worrying news from India on 19:18 - Apr 1 with 428 viewsallezlesbleus

I fear that there will be a terrifying number of deaths in a lot of the poorer countries. Whilst the numbers are shocking enough at the moment, I just cannot see how it is going to be contained in the slums, townships and favelas that are found in and around numerous large cities around the world. As SB says, around 1 million people in about 2.1 square kilometres is mental.
More worrying news from India on 19:25 - Apr 1 with 402 viewsGeoffSentence

That is a staggering amount of people in a tiny area. There will be a lot of suffering.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024