Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 5 part 5 08:33 - Apr 2 with 2447 viewseastangliaisblue

So todays top five is countries you've been to.
In no particular order.
New Zealand - Scenery like no other.

Bolivia - Has a wildness to it and slight danger. (Mostly because of poor mountain roads and clapped out buses.)

Tibet - I know technically it's part of China but is most certainly a occupied territory. The people are the most friendly and humble i have ever met.

Sri Lanka - Beautiful hill stations, Beautiful beaches, Beautiful food.

Slovenia - Reminds me of New Zealand but with history.

Top 5 part 5 on 12:29 - Apr 2 with 670 viewsSwansea_Blue

Top 5 part 5 on 11:33 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

Sounds incredible.

Any yeti sightings?

SB

Only us after a month in the field!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Top 5 part 5 on 12:34 - Apr 2 with 663 viewsWeWereZombies

Top 5 part 5 on 12:18 - Apr 2 by SomethingBlue

Goreme, that takes me back! Spent some time there in 2009 during a summer that (long story) I don't think I will ever forget. On some days Turkey would easily be in my top five — one of those places that just seem infinite in possibility.

Did you get up to those rock churches on the east side of town, breathtaking for the antiquity, the decoration and the view. And Pigeon Valley with the old guy who camouflages the tunnel mouth and then acts the hero as he reveals the entrance that 'only locals know about'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Top 5 part 5 on 12:44 - Apr 2 with 656 viewsSomethingBlue

Top 5 part 5 on 12:34 - Apr 2 by WeWereZombies

Did you get up to those rock churches on the east side of town, breathtaking for the antiquity, the decoration and the view. And Pigeon Valley with the old guy who camouflages the tunnel mouth and then acts the hero as he reveals the entrance that 'only locals know about'.

Definitely remember the rock churches, quite something! And the "Fred Flintstone" hostel, which was partly built into one of the caves and not blessed with top-notch sanitation to put it mildly, but great fun. And seeing it all from a hot air balloon with a Canadian girl I'd met in Fethiye a couple of weeks previously. Stunning part of the world.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Top 5 part 5 on 12:56 - Apr 2 with 644 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

USA - Geographic diversity
Cuba - Culture and beautiful Caribbean
Switzerland - prettyness/quality of life
Scotland - nature/scenery
Greece - history
Top 5 part 5 on 13:28 - Apr 2 with 634 viewsRomeo4

France
India
Portugal
Scotland
N Ireland
Top 5 part 5 on 14:16 - Apr 2 with 622 viewsEpiphone

Thailand
Laos
Cambodia
Vietnam
Indonesia

Spot the theme!
Top 5 part 5 on 15:11 - Apr 2 with 611 viewsLord_Lucan

Thailand - love the place, love the people
Hong Kong - 24 hour party town
Netherlands - see both above
India - laid back, weather, food
Germany - I just love The Gerries

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Top 5 part 5 on 15:21 - Apr 2 with 610 viewsunstableblue

Really fancy Slovenia and Tibet.... for me:

1. Nepal - if you haven't been and can (at some point in the future), go; albeit places I trekked to now have roads! so imagine changed a lot

2. Mexico - I have travelled extensively through Mexico, from Mexico City, to the old mining towns, to the Pacific surf coast to the hipee chic of Tullum and the Yucutan - great place

3. Thailand - sadly many many places I've been are now pretty fecked up by tourism (Koh Chang), but Bangkok and the Andaman side more remote islands remain just brilliant - the food and people are the highlight (albeit the people are not always what they seem, and I'm not talking lady boys)

3. Cambodia - this may be because I went during a coup, and walked an empty Angok What with some mates, but Phnom Penh for example is crazy and exhilirating.

4. India - hard travelling, but well worth it... I particularly like Rajhastan and Kerala, very different places

5. Greece - the med gets no better than in Greece, Island hopping just fantastic, greek salads do get boring

Other mentions Japan, Hong Kong, Australia (specifically South Australia and Tasmania, with Sydney remaining one of the best cities), the U-S-A is just frickin crazy but I do love Seattle and New York, Costa Rica

Ooooh look at me with all my travel destinations!

Don't recommend China or many parts of Africa, plus places like Dubai

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Top 5 part 5 on 16:32 - Apr 2 with 589 viewseastangliaisblue

Top 5 part 5 on 15:21 - Apr 2 by unstableblue

Really fancy Slovenia and Tibet.... for me:

1. Nepal - if you haven't been and can (at some point in the future), go; albeit places I trekked to now have roads! so imagine changed a lot

2. Mexico - I have travelled extensively through Mexico, from Mexico City, to the old mining towns, to the Pacific surf coast to the hipee chic of Tullum and the Yucutan - great place

3. Thailand - sadly many many places I've been are now pretty fecked up by tourism (Koh Chang), but Bangkok and the Andaman side more remote islands remain just brilliant - the food and people are the highlight (albeit the people are not always what they seem, and I'm not talking lady boys)

3. Cambodia - this may be because I went during a coup, and walked an empty Angok What with some mates, but Phnom Penh for example is crazy and exhilirating.

4. India - hard travelling, but well worth it... I particularly like Rajhastan and Kerala, very different places

5. Greece - the med gets no better than in Greece, Island hopping just fantastic, greek salads do get boring

Other mentions Japan, Hong Kong, Australia (specifically South Australia and Tasmania, with Sydney remaining one of the best cities), the U-S-A is just frickin crazy but I do love Seattle and New York, Costa Rica

Ooooh look at me with all my travel destinations!

Don't recommend China or many parts of Africa, plus places like Dubai

China was hard going once i got out of the main cities like Beijing and Xi'an. The people weren't always the friendliest i found. Might of been the language barrier that didn't help.
Top 5 part 5 on 17:43 - Apr 2 with 569 viewsNewcyBlue

Top 5 part 5 on 16:32 - Apr 2 by eastangliaisblue

China was hard going once i got out of the main cities like Beijing and Xi'an. The people weren't always the friendliest i found. Might of been the language barrier that didn't help.

I’ve never liked China. Never enjoyed going ashore there, hate joining ship there too.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Top 5 part 5 on 18:58 - Apr 2 with 561 viewsPecker

South Africa
Italy
Jamaica
Canada
England
Top 5 part 5 on 19:41 - Apr 2 with 552 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Vietnam,
Poland,
Denmark,
Greece,
Spain.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 19:42]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Top 5 part 5 on 19:51 - Apr 2 with 547 viewsazuremerlangus

1. South Georgia - 900 miles from the Falklands - best remote place in the world for wildlife
2. Hong Kong (pre-97) - The place I always wanted to go and did it in '88 - the year of the dragon.
3. Monsterrat (pre, during and post-volcano) - my favourite caribbean island (still)
4. Guatemala - mental place for a night out (story for another day...)
5. Virgin Islands (British) - there are better places to dive/snorkel but this place is the home of Pussers Rum!!!
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 19:59]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Top 5 part 5 on 20:25 - Apr 2 with 532 viewseastangliaisblue

Top 5 part 5 on 17:43 - Apr 2 by NewcyBlue

I’ve never liked China. Never enjoyed going ashore there, hate joining ship there too.

Because of the people?
Top 5 part 5 on 20:32 - Apr 2 with 532 viewsTheonlywayisup

Australia......so much space most people very laid back and the sun.

Germany......Vibrant full of fun and the beer is awesome.

UAE....Unbelievably clean and so friendly.

Thailand....some of the scenery is breathtaking.

USA.....Have to include this purely because of Las Vegas.
Top 5 part 5 on 20:45 - Apr 2 with 529 viewsMeadowlark

Zaire
Yemen
Pakistan
S. Korea
Trinidad
Top 5 part 5 on 20:54 - Apr 2 with 527 viewsNewcyBlue

Top 5 part 5 on 20:25 - Apr 2 by eastangliaisblue

Because of the people?

Mostly. Spitting everywhere, smoking, the Chinese authorities are truly dreadful.

It never feels like a clean place to be.

When they come on to the ship they are always looking for something to steal. We have to take the brass caps off our fire hydrants or they will go missing. They steal batteries out of the lifebuoys lights. Sometimes they steal complete lights.

Top 5 part 5 on 20:55 - Apr 2 with 526 viewsazuremerlangus

Top 5 part 5 on 20:54 - Apr 2 by NewcyBlue

Mostly. Spitting everywhere, smoking, the Chinese authorities are truly dreadful.

When they come on to the ship they are always looking for something to steal. We have to take the brass caps off our fire hydrants or they will go missing. They steal batteries out of the lifebuoys lights. Sometimes they steal complete lights.

A bit like Liverpool then?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Top 5 part 5 on 21:01 - Apr 2 with 521 viewsNewcyBlue

Top 5 part 5 on 20:55 - Apr 2 by azuremerlangus

A bit like Liverpool then?

I did 3 months on a Dublin-Birkenhead ferry.

A guy in the port of Birkenhead asked me “how did you get into being on the ships?”

I asked him if he had ever heard of being press ganged. He hadn’t so I explained it to him.

To this day there is someone in Birkenhead telling his mates that.

Top 5 part 5 on 21:03 - Apr 2 with 519 viewseastangliaisblue

Top 5 part 5 on 20:54 - Apr 2 by NewcyBlue

The spitting is something that got me. It seems everybody is constantly doing it.

I don't like to generalise people but there is something about the Han Chinese. I think they do tend to have a bit of racism about them. I certainly felt that's how they are towards Tibetans.
Top 5 part 5 on 21:08 - Apr 2 with 512 viewsAce_High1

Australia, Australia, Australia - can't beat it would happily move out there.

If I do this properly:

Australia
USA
Spain
Italy
Portugal
Top 5 part 5 on 22:17 - Apr 2 with 489 viewsChurchman

Meagre offerings compared to many on here, but for me:
Canada - British Columbia, Alberta are beautiful. The east is nice too and the Canadian people
Malaysia - Fascinating place.
USA - Always feel comfortable there. Some amazing places to see and wonderful people
Malta - Yes, it’s a shambles, but I’ve always loved it. Valletta: wonderful place and what a history.
Greece - Again, because of the people more than anything else.
Top 5 part 5 on 22:29 - Apr 2 with 487 viewsallezlesbleus

South Africa - amazing diversity, people, culture and scenery. Superb meat and seafood.

France - stunning scenery and history. Great wine and seafood.

England - such much to love in such a small country. No country offers such a diverse range of pubs / bars as England / UK. Also home to the best football club in the world.

Brazil - once again, the diversity appeals - from the stunning beaches and coastline, to the vast nature of the Amazon.

*Edited - for some reason, I forgot Thailand. Only been once, around 25 years ago, but that was fantastic.

Scandinavia - I can't pin it down to one country, as I have only spent the odd couple of days in a few of the Scandinavian countries. I really enjoyed their friendliness and willingness to party. It also felt clean, fresh and healthy (even with some blinding hangovers).
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 22:33]
Top 5 part 5 on 22:35 - Apr 2 with 482 viewsallezlesbleus

Top 5 part 5 on 15:11 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Thailand - love the place, love the people
Hong Kong - 24 hour party town
Netherlands - see both above
India - laid back, weather, food
Germany - I just love The Gerries

I think the Germans are great. Very welcoming, know how to enjoy a few pints and a party.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024