Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Observations on social distancing 09:30 - Apr 2 with 4482 viewsStokieBlue

So I realise this is anecdotal but I also have some info to back it up from some local doctors.

I went for a cycle two days ago and passed through the orthodox Jewish community in Stamford Hill and they were not adhering to the social distancing rules in any way. Families were walking together chatting with 6 or 7 buggies and all the kids were playing together in communal spaces (20-30 kids at least). Groups of men were standing together much closer than 2m and chatting away.

The other cohort I noticed who didn't seem to be adhering to the advice were teenage couples although there were less of those around than I had seen previously.

I think on the whole the rules are being adhered to very well but I guess there are some communities and cohorts to whom the message has yet sunk in.

Anyone else noticed any specific examples of social distancing being ignored in a big way?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Observations on social distancing on 09:40 - Apr 2 with 2778 viewsNthQldITFC

Wood pigeons don't seem to be taking it terribly seriously.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Observations on social distancing on 09:42 - Apr 2 with 2773 viewsNotSure

People seem happy to let their dogs mix and sniff each others arses.
I know they can't catch it but surely the virus can exist in their fur for a few hours.
Observations on social distancing on 09:45 - Apr 2 with 2764 viewsgordon

In general, I'd have thought that social distancing is being observed to the extent required, and focusing on the small number of individuals in society who might not be doing so probably isn't that useful.
Observations on social distancing on 09:51 - Apr 2 with 2735 viewsDarth_Koont

Darwin 1 Religion 0.

There seems to be a belief among many religious groups who are particularly in their own bubble that they are protected by their God or perhaps that society rules just don't apply to them.

Although I suppose that's not really religious but cultural at heart. The similar ease with which many Trump supporters were able to dismiss the pandemic almost entirely through faith in their own narrow world view was frightening.

Pronouns: He/Him

Observations on social distancing on 09:58 - Apr 2 with 2719 viewsStokieBlue

Observations on social distancing on 09:45 - Apr 2 by gordon

In general, I'd have thought that social distancing is being observed to the extent required, and focusing on the small number of individuals in society who might not be doing so probably isn't that useful.

I guess that is fair, was just an observation.

For some perspective, there are 15,000+ people in that community in that one area of London.

SB

Observations on social distancing on 10:19 - Apr 2 with 2649 viewsNthQldITFC

Observations on social distancing on 09:42 - Apr 2 by NotSure

People seem happy to let their dogs mix and sniff each others arses.
I know they can't catch it but surely the virus can exist in their fur for a few hours.

I've certainly seen people letting their dogs mix, but so far I haven't seen people sniffing each other's arses. Well not in public anyway.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Observations on social distancing on 10:26 - Apr 2 with 2625 viewsgordon

Observations on social distancing on 09:58 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

I guess that is fair, was just an observation.

For some perspective, there are 15,000+ people in that community in that one area of London.

SB

There's a really high downside risk in terms of public compliance with the lockdown if there is too much focus on the few bad examples.
Observations on social distancing on 10:41 - Apr 2 with 2597 viewsStokieBlue

Observations on social distancing on 10:26 - Apr 2 by gordon

There's a really high downside risk in terms of public compliance with the lockdown if there is too much focus on the few bad examples.

I am sure the masses of TWTD are not going to stop complying because I posted about an anecdotal example in north London.

It's not really much focus, I think you are taking this a bit too far. If it was splashed across all the newspapers then I'd agree you've got a very good point.

It was more a cultural point around religion and community grouping and how it might effect peoples attitudes in different ways. I didn't think it was an unreasonable discussion. Some doctors in the area were certainly concerned about it.

SB
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 10:45]

Login to get fewer ads

Observations on social distancing on 10:43 - Apr 2 with 2580 viewsSwansea_Blue

Now if Jeremy Corbyn had said this....

I've not seen any issues, but then we live in a pretty quiet spot.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Observations on social distancing on 11:23 - Apr 2 with 2501 viewsgiant_stow

I wasn't there, but mrs ullaa took the boy to the park (the only one that's left open around here - all the little ones are shut). Aparently, it was dangerously packed and hard to avoid people properly. We won;t be going back so no more footy.

Can't help thinking that if the little parks were open, the big one would be less busy, but what do I know.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Observations on social distancing on 13:08 - Apr 2 with 2416 viewsEireannach_gorm

Observations on social distancing on 09:51 - Apr 2 by Darth_Koont

Darwin 1 Religion 0.

There seems to be a belief among many religious groups who are particularly in their own bubble that they are protected by their God or perhaps that society rules just don't apply to them.

Although I suppose that's not really religious but cultural at heart. The similar ease with which many Trump supporters were able to dismiss the pandemic almost entirely through faith in their own narrow world view was frightening.

https://jewishjournal.com/online/312961/cuomo-sued-over-ny-ban-on-large-gatherin
Observations on social distancing on 14:09 - Apr 2 with 2348 viewsDebsyAngel

Apart from the prat next door in and out still dealing, I am pretty surprised at what I saw in town earlier (had to go in to get some essentials that local stores don't do and some medicine). Boots are letting a few in at a time and you are given hand gel on entrance and exit, but spotted a group of 3 workers chatting closely together. Also a couple of assistants in Wilko were doing it too. Most people are being good but there are the odd few prats who just will NOT let you have space.
Observations on social distancing on 14:39 - Apr 2 with 2304 viewsjeera

Observations on social distancing on 10:41 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

I am sure the masses of TWTD are not going to stop complying because I posted about an anecdotal example in north London.

It's not really much focus, I think you are taking this a bit too far. If it was splashed across all the newspapers then I'd agree you've got a very good point.

It was more a cultural point around religion and community grouping and how it might effect peoples attitudes in different ways. I didn't think it was an unreasonable discussion. Some doctors in the area were certainly concerned about it.

SB
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 10:45]

Gordon's clearly a decent chap but can take things a bit literally sometimes.

I once made some daft off-the-cuff comment about finding the Lloyds Bank adverts irritating and how if I wanted to buy a horse I'd try Tattersalls.

Gordon (I'm sure it was Gordon), wrote me a lengthy reply assuring me that Lloyds weren't trying to sell horses and went on to explain how adverts work.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Observations on social distancing on 16:05 - Apr 2 with 2242 viewsJ2BLUE

Observations on social distancing on 14:39 - Apr 2 by jeera

I once made some daft off-the-cuff comment about finding the Lloyds Bank adverts irritating and how if I wanted to buy a horse I'd try Tattersalls.

Gordon (I'm sure it was Gordon), wrote me a lengthy reply assuring me that Lloyds weren't trying to sell horses and went on to explain how adverts work.

He's like Bully without the playful banter and easygoing nature.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Observations on social distancing on 16:11 - Apr 2 with 2227 viewseireblue

So far supermarket shoppers.

Tesco > Sainsbury’s

Haven’t been in a Waitrose yet, but now tempted to try on my next outing.
Observations on social distancing on 16:15 - Apr 2 with 2216 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 14:39 - Apr 2 by jeera

Are you sure that wasn't Dolly?

I have a slightly embarrassing distancing confession.

I was in the Co-op queue the other day and as soon as I entered the store I became angry for some reason. Anyway I queued up 2m behind the person in front only to notice some idiot walk past me and straight to the second till. I bellowed out "Oi, the queue starts behind me mate" only to be advised that I was in the Post Office line.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Observations on social distancing on 16:20 - Apr 2 with 2195 viewsbluelagos

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Observations on social distancing on 16:32 - Apr 2 with 2157 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another worry is that the weather forecast this weekend is very good and after nearly two weeks of lock down a great number of people will are going to take advantage of it.

The message needs to get around. Stay indoors. There will be plenty of time to go out in the summer of we all comply with the social distancing measures.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Observations on social distancing on 16:39 - Apr 2 with 2139 viewsbluelagos

Observations on social distancing on 16:32 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

Another worry is that the weather forecast this weekend is very good and after nearly two weeks of lock down a great number of people will are going to take advantage of it.

The message needs to get around. Stay indoors. There will be plenty of time to go out in the summer of we all comply with the social distancing measures.

I think you are right Glassers. Forecast sunny days this weekend may lead to people getting outside too much and mixing.

Will be properly annoyed if on the back of it they tighten up the rules on exercise.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Observations on social distancing on 16:54 - Apr 2 with 2108 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 16:32 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

If I could I would volunteer to get infected so I can get on with things.

I'd take my chances.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Observations on social distancing on 17:03 - Apr 2 with 2090 viewsGlasgowBlue

Observations on social distancing on 16:54 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

If I could I would volunteer to get infected so I can get on with things.

I'd take my chances.

I think I've had it so would be happy when this antibody test is available.

Iron Lion Zion

Observations on social distancing on 17:09 - Apr 2 with 2081 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 17:03 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

I think I've had it so would be happy when this antibody test is available.

From what I was told today it won't be as conclusive as we are led to believe.

This isn't definite info.

Observations on social distancing on 17:24 - Apr 2 with 2052 viewsGlasgowBlue

Observations on social distancing on 17:09 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

From what I was told today it won't be as conclusive as we are led to believe.

This isn't definite info.

This sounds promising.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-changer-coronavirus-antibody-test-alread

Although this will only work 28 days after somebody has had the virus according to the Deputy Chief Medical Officer who absolutely schooled Peston in this clip.

Iron Lion Zion

Observations on social distancing on 17:49 - Apr 2 with 1995 viewsLord_Lucan

Observations on social distancing on 17:24 - Apr 2 by GlasgowBlue

This sounds promising.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-changer-coronavirus-antibody-test-alread

Although this will only work 28 days after somebody has had the virus according to the Deputy Chief Medical Officer who absolutely schooled Peston in this clip.

This is a major problem and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

Armchair experts in the media, on social media, on forums - and I very much include TWTD.

There are people who are objective but many aren't. TWTD has certainly thrown some curveballs in this aspect.

Matey started explaining certain tests to me today and I'll be honest it started to go right over my head.

Observations on social distancing on 18:01 - Apr 2 with 1976 viewsJimmyJazz

EADT reporting that social distancing wasn't being followed in Norwich Road

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024