Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? 22:47 - Apr 2 with 5507 viewsmonytowbray

This advice seems to contradict both.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-patients-more-likely-to-die-may-have-vent

WTF have they been playing at?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 22:58 - Apr 2 with 2405 viewsWicklowBlue

Ok I'm going to bite on this...how does the advice contradict your op? This is the horrendously tough decisions that may need to be made if a health service becomes overwhelmed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/social-distance-ration-doctor

There has been a report on such happening over here in Ireland. If we can flatten the peak then we can avoid health services being swamped, have you been following the situation in Italy and Spain?
Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:05 - Apr 2 with 2385 viewsStokieBlue

Criticism is certainly justified on many things with regards to the response but the continual use of hindsight with new information isn't reflecting the reality of the situation at the time when the decisions were made.

I'd also say that if anything, the report actually confirms the need to flatten the peak in order to spread the load on the ventilators.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:08 - Apr 2 with 2361 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:05 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

Criticism is certainly justified on many things with regards to the response but the continual use of hindsight with new information isn't reflecting the reality of the situation at the time when the decisions were made.

I'd also say that if anything, the report actually confirms the need to flatten the peak in order to spread the load on the ventilators.

SB

Hindsight? I said we should have locked down much sooner than we did in line with what experts were saying. I still worry about the damage that extra weekend did.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:09 - Apr 2 with 2353 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 22:58 - Apr 2 by WicklowBlue

Ok I'm going to bite on this...how does the advice contradict your op? This is the horrendously tough decisions that may need to be made if a health service becomes overwhelmed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/social-distance-ration-doctor

There has been a report on such happening over here in Ireland. If we can flatten the peak then we can avoid health services being swamped, have you been following the situation in Italy and Spain?

Didn’t lock down early enough.
Didn’t take the EU up on ventilators.

If we reach this reality it’s a failure of epic proportions.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:14 - Apr 2 with 2338 viewsStokieBlue

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:08 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

Hindsight? I said we should have locked down much sooner than we did in line with what experts were saying. I still worry about the damage that extra weekend did.

You've been using newer information to criticise historical actions since this began.

That report doesn't support anything you've said in your OP. It in fact supports exactly the opposite that the flattening the peak is probably required is possible.

SB

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:17 - Apr 2 with 2319 viewsWicklowBlue

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:09 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

All those comments are easy to make with hindsight and I hope both our countries don't end up in Italian/Spanish style situations.

It's a very tough decision when to implement harsh restrictions on the population, it has to be at the correct moment where the citizens understand the need and abide by those restrictions. Also there is huge economic impact, our government have basically admitted our economy is in hibernation, huge numbers unemployed and relying on Covid social payments to see them through. Forecasts are that the Irish economy will fall into recession and we were near full employment with growth estimates of 4% prior to this.
Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:22 - Apr 2 with 2310 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:14 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

You've been using newer information to criticise historical actions since this began.

That report doesn't support anything you've said in your OP. It in fact supports exactly the opposite that the flattening the peak is probably required is possible.

SB

I was using the information we already had available to question why we weren’t on lockdown after the first press conference.

I was told I was making it political, was over reacting, was ironically asking for a police state.

I’m still hoping we don’t live to regret those earlier chances to tail off the curve more.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:24 - Apr 2 with 2290 viewsLord_Lucan

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:22 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

I was using the information we already had available to question why we weren’t on lockdown after the first press conference.

I was told I was making it political, was over reacting, was ironically asking for a police state.

I’m still hoping we don’t live to regret those earlier chances to tail off the curve more.

No you're not
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:34]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:24 - Apr 2 with 2292 viewssyntaxerror

Problem is, we didn't, and now we have to deal with the consequences. Triage is a terrible thing for our NHS to deal with, but they will have to
Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:25 - Apr 2 with 2288 viewsStokieBlue

Could you please address the point about your article actually supporting the need to flatten the peak?

I've posted it twice now, you asserted in your OP that the article contradicts that governmental advice and then asked what they had been playing at.

SB

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:28 - Apr 2 with 2276 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:25 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

Could you please address the point about your article actually supporting the need to flatten the peak?

I've posted it twice now, you asserted in your OP that the article contradicts that governmental advice and then asked what they had been playing at.

SB

If the goal was to flatten the peak and not herd immunity from the start there would likely be less strain on the NHS.

If the goal was to boost the NHS capacity then why didn’t we take those ventilators from the EU?

I think you’re confusing the sarcasm in the thread title.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:30 - Apr 2 with 2266 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:24 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

No you're not
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:34]

Do you really believe that? Do you really believe the reason I’ve been so panicked and upset about this is because I’m excited for people to die so I can throw shade on the internet.

You are vile.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:30 - Apr 2 with 2264 viewsJ2BLUE

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:09 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

Wait, we rejected EU ventilators?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:31 - Apr 2 with 2262 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:30 - Apr 2 by J2BLUE

Wait, we rejected EU ventilators?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-52081873/coronavirus-gove-defends-not-

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:31 - Apr 2 with 2257 viewsWicklowBlue

Regardless about what happened before there is no point dwelling in the past. What matters is what happens now to slow the spread and flatten that curve.

Why not start being proactive rather than reactive?
Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:32 - Apr 2 with 2257 viewsLord_Lucan

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:30 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

Do you really believe that? Do you really believe the reason I’ve been so panicked and upset about this is because I’m excited for people to die so I can throw shade on the internet.

You are vile.

Yes.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:33 - Apr 2 with 2249 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:24 - Apr 2 by syntaxerror

Problem is, we didn't, and now we have to deal with the consequences. Triage is a terrible thing for our NHS to deal with, but they will have to

You’re right it’s too late to do much, but I wish others could look at this for the utterly winged and poorly planned sh1tshow it is, which in turn had cost lives.

We were two weeks behind Italy. We had the data and knew what was coming.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:34 - Apr 2 with 2239 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:32 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Yes.

As I said yesterday, if that’s the conclusion you’ve come to you are either not listening or not understanding.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:39 - Apr 2 with 2198 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:31 - Apr 2 by WicklowBlue

Regardless about what happened before there is no point dwelling in the past. What matters is what happens now to slow the spread and flatten that curve.

Why not start being proactive rather than reactive?

I’m on day 22 of self isolation so I think I was quite early on being proactive!

I have asthma and colds get to me at the best of times so there’s not much I can do outside the house.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:39 - Apr 2 with 2195 viewsJ2BLUE

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:31 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-52081873/coronavirus-gove-defends-not-

Holy sh1t.

'Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr, he said that there is "nothing that we can't do as an independent nation that being part of that scheme would allow us to do".'

Is it me or does this sound like they are more concerned about people suggesting we need the EU than getting the equipment we need?

So pleased I voted Labour. Not looking to score political points but i'm glad I had nothing to do with putting these clowns in power.

Truly impaired.

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:43 - Apr 2 with 2172 viewsmonytowbray

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:39 - Apr 2 by J2BLUE

Holy sh1t.

'Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr, he said that there is "nothing that we can't do as an independent nation that being part of that scheme would allow us to do".'

Is it me or does this sound like they are more concerned about people suggesting we need the EU than getting the equipment we need?

So pleased I voted Labour. Not looking to score political points but i'm glad I had nothing to do with putting these clowns in power.

The fact you missed this says a lot for the noise shouting down people with concerns right now.

Later on they then claimed they didn’t get the email and by then the offer had passed. So they can’t even stick to a straight story there (like everything else).

The whole thing is gross incompetence at best, I don’t even what to think what the motives could be at worst.

TWTD never forgets…

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:54 - Apr 2 with 2143 viewsreusersfreekicks

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:43 - Apr 2 by monytowbray

The fact you missed this says a lot for the noise shouting down people with concerns right now.

Later on they then claimed they didn’t get the email and by then the offer had passed. So they can’t even stick to a straight story there (like everything else).

The whole thing is gross incompetence at best, I don’t even what to think what the motives could be at worst.

Is there any analysis of how many more ventilators we would have if we had said yes? If there are not enough to go round in Spain and Italy where would extra ones for the UK come from?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:56]
Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:57 - Apr 2 with 2130 viewsStokieBlue

"The whole thing is gross incompetence at best, I don’t even what to think what the motives could be at worst."

By putting the second part of your sentence you are essentially saying you don't think it's gross incompetence and the government are doing it on purpose otherwise you can stop after gross incompetence.

You don't honestly and truly believe that do you?

Or do you mean they are using it to push a Brexit agenda?

SB
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 9:01]

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 00:09 - Apr 3 with 2075 viewsJ2BLUE

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 23:57 - Apr 2 by StokieBlue

"The whole thing is gross incompetence at best, I don’t even what to think what the motives could be at worst."

By putting the second part of your sentence you are essentially saying you don't think it's gross incompetence and the government are doing it on purpose otherwise you can stop after gross incompetence.

You don't honestly and truly believe that do you?

Or do you mean they are using it to push a Brexit agenda?

SB
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 9:01]

To be fair I think he was just responding to my Brexit point.

Truly impaired.

Flatten the peak whilst boosting the NHS? on 00:11 - Apr 3 with 2068 viewsJ2BLUE

To be honest i've avoided the news for the last few days as much as possible. I think it would destroy my mental healthy to continually monitor the news like I was doing. I'm reading more optimist blogs and opinion pieces. I'm not changing my behaviour based on them and am still sticking to lockdown and going out as little as I can but it just helps me sleep a bit better!

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024