Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BJ as leader. Safe or not? 11:51 - Apr 3 with 2540 viewsMoriarty

Could the delayed response to the pandemic be the undoing of BJ’s leadership?

Obviously given their majority, the Conservatives are safe until their term runs its course. But as the Covid surge comes, and the tragic number of dead so sadly increases, the NHS battles impossible odds, as the economy and society suffer, and newspaper scribes sharpen their pens, can he retain his leadership?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/with-johnson-under-fire-blame-game-be
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 11:52]

fka omuircheartaigh

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 11:54 - Apr 3 with 2182 viewsNotSure

Tories are currently polling over 50%

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 11:55 - Apr 3 with 2179 viewsMullet

It will unravel as it was always going to, he is wholly unfit and always has been. It will be down to how this "Blitz spirit" nonsense insulates him and as you say the length and impact on people that tells eventually.

The only thing will be that this pandemic will mask just how good/bad or he could have been compared to his predecessors. He will always have an asterisk next to him. The Liverpool title of PMs I guess.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:04 - Apr 3 with 2135 viewsStokieBlue

I think the last thing we need right now is a Tory leadership election no matter how rubbish Boris is. Some stability, even with someone like him is better than destabilising things.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:04 - Apr 3 with 2118 viewsgordon

I think at this point most people can't even remember who or what the parties are.
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:07 - Apr 3 with 2112 viewsBloomBlue

No problems the opposition are so weak and he has such a majority he'll be fine and the Tories now the majority was delivered because Boris was leader. He'll get Brexit done which is what the country wants and the vast majority of the population understand the current situation would be difficult for any government, they can see all governments struggling they also know Labour wouldn't do any better.

His one challenge is he took away people's civil liberties I was please to see the Bloomberg reporter the other day challenge Gove about the fact the Government still haven't published the report on why they decided to lock down the country and take away people's civil liberties for the first time in peace time. The longer the lockdown goes on that's the one area which could go against Boris
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:09 - Apr 3 with 2097 viewshype313

Trouble is, looking at the political spectrum across all parties, there is a dearth of talent across the board.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:17 - Apr 3 with 2075 viewsMoriarty

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 11:55 - Apr 3 by Mullet

It will unravel as it was always going to, he is wholly unfit and always has been. It will be down to how this "Blitz spirit" nonsense insulates him and as you say the length and impact on people that tells eventually.

The only thing will be that this pandemic will mask just how good/bad or he could have been compared to his predecessors. He will always have an asterisk next to him. The Liverpool title of PMs I guess.

Our government here have stuck to WHO guidelines quite rigidly. Downing Street spoke of herd immunity. Sweden as well. But at least the UK has hit the brakes on that and gone whiplash like into lockdown. It was strange with all our schools closed in the South, to be reading about a school in Derry (UK) having a reported case and being told by U.K. officials to stay open, despite that.

We’re following the South Korea model here and its working effectively. Our lockdown will certainly continue beyond Easter. But the number of social contacts per infected person has dropped from 15 to 3.

The human horror of triage could get real in the U.K. (and indeed everywhere) during April. The Shepherd is scurrying belatedly to mind his flock.

fka omuircheartaigh

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:25 - Apr 3 with 2057 viewsMoriarty

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 11:54 - Apr 3 by NotSure

It was more his leadership of his party that I was referring to. An internal heave. I can’t imagine an election is in any way possible even after the pandemic, given the Conservatives Commons majority.

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 13:02 - Apr 3 with 1996 viewsBloomBlue

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:25 - Apr 3 by Moriarty

It was more his leadership of his party that I was referring to. An internal heave. I can’t imagine an election is in any way possible even after the pandemic, given the Conservatives Commons majority.

It will be interesting to see how all EU leaders come out of this see article from Katya Adler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52135816

This part seemed a bit strong from the Italians but correct:
This week, a group of Italian mayors and other politicians bought a page in Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper to remind Germany that it was never made to pay back its debts after WW2.

Although possibly not interesting but in my eyes anything Katya Adler is special
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 13:13 - Apr 3 with 1985 viewsfactual_blue

He'll mysteriously get better once the numbers look more palatable.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 13:21 - Apr 3 with 1964 viewsBent_double

He's not looking too well at the moment, is he?

Just seen Prince Charlie remotely opening the new Nightingale hospital, he didn't look too good, either.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:26 - Apr 3 with 1897 viewsBlueNomad

We will need a Royal Commission after this in order to look at every aspect of this crisis - then we will be able to judge how history will view the government. I have no time whatsoever for this miserable crew but now is not the time to attack them.
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:30 - Apr 3 with 1871 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As you say, he is safe until the 5 years are up.

Three will be far more water under the bridge and while some may bring up this in an election campaign it will boil down to what tax cuts he offers and his ability to sell failing to get Brexit done or the damage caused by it as someone else's fault.

He will undoubtedly be PM in 2025 unless something else does for him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:40 - Apr 3 with 1856 viewslinhdi

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:30 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Three will be far more water under the bridge and while some may bring up this in an election campaign it will boil down to what tax cuts he offers and his ability to sell failing to get Brexit done or the damage caused by it as someone else's fault.

Most people seem to think the government are doing a great job. Hmm. I'm not most people.
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:44 - Apr 3 with 1837 viewsNthsuffolkblue

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:40 - Apr 3 by linhdi

Most people seem to think the government are doing a great job. Hmm. I'm not most people.

I guess whether they continue to will depend a lot on whether our death-rate curve continues to keep pace with the US one or somehow is reigned back to be more like the Italy/Spain one or even better.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:56 - Apr 3 with 1817 viewsBloomBlue

I think most people have enough common-sense to understand any government in this situation would struggle and it's very easy to stand on the side-lines and say I would do better.

Andy Burnham said it himself the other day when he was Health Secretary and swine flu hit the UK Labour had been in power 10+ years then spending millions on the NHS and he was for example desperately trying to find ventilators as he said he isn't going to criticize because he knows first hand how difficult these situations are and you're having to make policy decisions in days rather than the normal 6 months of reviewing

I actually think the Sweden situation could be interesting re Boris , if Sweden don't go for a full lock-down and come out of this with very low deaths it's going to shine a massive light on was lock-down the right move and actually did it kill more by choosing that option.
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:59 - Apr 3 with 1811 viewsjaykay

he will lie his way out of things

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 16:31 - Apr 3 with 1784 viewsChurchman

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:56 - Apr 3 by BloomBlue

I think most people have enough common-sense to understand any government in this situation would struggle and it's very easy to stand on the side-lines and say I would do better.

Andy Burnham said it himself the other day when he was Health Secretary and swine flu hit the UK Labour had been in power 10+ years then spending millions on the NHS and he was for example desperately trying to find ventilators as he said he isn't going to criticize because he knows first hand how difficult these situations are and you're having to make policy decisions in days rather than the normal 6 months of reviewing

I actually think the Sweden situation could be interesting re Boris , if Sweden don't go for a full lock-down and come out of this with very low deaths it's going to shine a massive light on was lock-down the right move and actually did it kill more by choosing that option.

I doubt the result of any commission will be made public even if one is carried out. Yes, it’s easy to criticise, but unfortunately for BJ and his shower, there are the actions of other countries to compare with, a problem for which they had sufficient notice to take some action (e.g. securing testing kits, protective clothing etc) and didn’t and recommendations by organisations like WHO and others which they ignored. They have issued mixed messages throughout and made promises they couldn’t fulfil.Incoherent shambles, basically.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 22:14]
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 16:53 - Apr 3 with 1736 viewsr2d2

Who would do any better under these circumstances? They are doing ok. They will get and have got things wrong, but anyone would make mistakes in the current climate. There isnt really a model to work from. So, yes, they are doing good.
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 17:50 - Apr 3 with 1697 viewsPJH

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 16:53 - Apr 3 by r2d2

Who would do any better under these circumstances? They are doing ok. They will get and have got things wrong, but anyone would make mistakes in the current climate. There isnt really a model to work from. So, yes, they are doing good.

You started by saying that they are doing ok and ended up by saying they are doing good.

Ok? Just possibly.

Good? Certainly not.
BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 22:35 - Apr 3 with 1578 viewsThe_Last_Baron

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 12:25 - Apr 3 by Moriarty

BoJo is very popular in the country. He is the Tories best bet form staying in power for an other decade.

Let's see how things develop over the next three to six months and we will realise if the Government handled this well. My feeling is that in terms of infections/deaths they will be kept down but the economy will take a decade to recover.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 22:48 - Apr 3 with 1555 viewsEwan_Oozami

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 22:35 - Apr 3 by The_Last_Baron

BoJo is very popular in the country. He is the Tories best bet form staying in power for an other decade.

Let's see how things develop over the next three to six months and we will realise if the Government handled this well. My feeling is that in terms of infections/deaths they will be kept down but the economy will take a decade to recover.

If we Brexit at the end of this year as opposed to extending the transition period, we should be able to get that recovery done in 5 years surely?
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 22:48]

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 22:57 - Apr 3 with 1534 viewsWeWereZombies

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 15:30 - Apr 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Maybe he will be relieved of his duties in the Royal announcement on Sunday?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 23:02 - Apr 3 with 1529 viewsbournemouthblue

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 11:54 - Apr 3 by NotSure

Quite amazingly, people think Boris is doing a great job although the papers are now starting to turn on him

It will be interesting to see if the mood begins to change

At the moment you have people who are a little bit in denial with it all, still wanting to justify voting for him at the last election

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 02:11 - Apr 4 with 1472 viewsThe_Last_Baron

BJ as leader. Safe or not? on 23:02 - Apr 3 by bournemouthblue

Quite amazingly, people think Boris is doing a great job although the papers are now starting to turn on him

It will be interesting to see if the mood begins to change

At the moment you have people who are a little bit in denial with it all, still wanting to justify voting for him at the last election

The days when the media influenced the electorate enough to determine who wins an election are long gone.

What the papers say doesn't matter. Nobody buys them anymore. Hardly anyone even reads them. Apart from the Sun.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024