Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded 11:53 - Apr 3 with 1066 viewsMullet

The government have just issued this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/how-gcses-as-a-levels-will-be-awarded-in-summ

Short of making the students sit the exam, I'm not sure what else they can do. However, it does put people in difficult positions as I anticipated the other week. Hopefully those parents on here that were concerned at least have their answer now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 12:08 - Apr 3 with 1006 viewsPJH

Thanks for posting Mullet.

We are concerned grandparents because our oldest granddaugter was due to be taking her GCSE's in May.

She is not very forthcoming, to us anyway, about how she is doing at school but her younger sister announced that her mock results were not good.

We are also not sure what her intentions/wishes are for her future except that she would like to work with animals.

Not sure what this will mean for her, I suppose it depends on what her teachers assess her in class work at so not necessarily wholly dependent on her (seemingly) not good mock results.
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 12:15 - Apr 3 with 986 viewsfooters

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 12:08 - Apr 3 by PJH

We are concerned grandparents because our oldest granddaugter was due to be taking her GCSE's in May.

She is not very forthcoming, to us anyway, about how she is doing at school but her younger sister announced that her mock results were not good.

We are also not sure what her intentions/wishes are for her future except that she would like to work with animals.

Not sure what this will mean for her, I suppose it depends on what her teachers assess her in class work at so not necessarily wholly dependent on her (seemingly) not good mock results.

A lot of colleges in the area offer courses in animal care and the like, usually with lowish entry requirements, so your granddaughter need not fret too much if that's the route she'd like to take. Horses for courses, innit.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 12:18 - Apr 3 with 973 viewsPJH

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 12:15 - Apr 3 by footers

A lot of colleges in the area offer courses in animal care and the like, usually with lowish entry requirements, so your granddaughter need not fret too much if that's the route she'd like to take. Horses for courses, innit.

Yes, I know that Otley College has been suggested to us and by us and also I think by the school.

She did a week's work experience at a farm a few weeks ago and loved that and it would be nice if she could end up doing something that she wants to do.
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 13:15 - Apr 3 with 919 viewsfactual_blue

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 12:15 - Apr 3 by footers

I was doing Animal Husbandry at university.

Until they caught me at it one day.

(Tom Lehrer)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 13:26 - Apr 3 with 907 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Thanks for posting. (my daughter was set to take a level exams in June)
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 13:37 - Apr 3 with 889 viewsjudespiveyg

I was due to be sitting my A levels this summer and we were informed that mock results would not play a significant part in creating our grade, due to there always being a massive improvement of results in final exams, so I wouldn't worry overly much about poor mock results, as long as general classwork and previous results have been healthy enough she should be okay.

I don't know if this is the plan for all schools or just a Thomas Mills thing I imagine all schools will operate under a similar policy.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 13:41 - Apr 3 with 877 viewsPJH

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 13:37 - Apr 3 by judespiveyg

I was due to be sitting my A levels this summer and we were informed that mock results would not play a significant part in creating our grade, due to there always being a massive improvement of results in final exams, so I wouldn't worry overly much about poor mock results, as long as general classwork and previous results have been healthy enough she should be okay.

I don't know if this is the plan for all schools or just a Thomas Mills thing I imagine all schools will operate under a similar policy.

Thank you for this.

She is at Farlingaye so I don't know if they will treat it the same.

If she is to achieve her wish of working with animals I do not suppose that academic results are vital for her, unless they are very intelligent animals!
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 14:39 - Apr 3 with 814 viewsBloomBlue

My Granddaughter didn't do well at school but thought she wanted to be a vet, but her grades weren't good enough. But was able to get into a vets and trained as a Veterinary nurse after doing that for a little while it cemented her desire to be a vet and then went to train and qualified as a vet. Now I don't know all the ins and out of her grades and this was a few years ago or that your daughter wants to be a vet but there are different options out here so don't become despondent.

PS in many ways she enjoyed being a nurse more than a vet
Login to get fewer ads

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 14:44 - Apr 3 with 807 viewsPJH

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 14:39 - Apr 3 by BloomBlue

My Granddaughter didn't do well at school but thought she wanted to be a vet, but her grades weren't good enough. But was able to get into a vets and trained as a Veterinary nurse after doing that for a little while it cemented her desire to be a vet and then went to train and qualified as a vet. Now I don't know all the ins and out of her grades and this was a few years ago or that your daughter wants to be a vet but there are different options out here so don't become despondent.

PS in many ways she enjoyed being a nurse more than a vet

Thank you.

It is my granddaughter not daughter and I don't think her ambitions stretch to being a vet, although they might do.

She just loves animals-and they love her!

Possibly/probably her academic qualifications might not matter for what she wants but my original post on this thread was about how much emphasis would be placed on the mock exam results because hers (apparently) were not good.
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 14:52 - Apr 3 with 786 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The reality is that mocks are generally a good indicator towards final results and will weigh heavily in the consideration. However, teachers are professionals and those with enough experience should be able to have a reasonable idea of the type of student for whom the mocks were a blip. Overall other factors will be taken into consideration. If granddaughter is not pleased with her results at the end of the whole process she will have the opportunity to take an exam in the autumn. The guidance says both results will then stand.

In her position, she ought to be doing all she can to prepare for a potential exam in the Autumn. There are a number of advantages to this:

1 It will keep her busy and in a routine.
2 She will gain the knowledge and understanding that the exams test that she will need for her future studies.
3 She will be prepared to ace the actual exam if she does decide to take it.

There are going to be a lot of people starting courses without having been externally assessed in the autumn. All providers will be being rigorous in making sure those pupils are appropriately skilled and knowledgeable. Anything any student can do to do this for themselves will put them at an advantage.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 15:04 - Apr 3 with 768 viewsBloomBlue

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 14:44 - Apr 3 by PJH

Thank you.

It is my granddaughter not daughter and I don't think her ambitions stretch to being a vet, although they might do.

She just loves animals-and they love her!

Possibly/probably her academic qualifications might not matter for what she wants but my original post on this thread was about how much emphasis would be placed on the mock exam results because hers (apparently) were not good.

Sorry my typo with daughter

I know my granddaughters grades weren't great, terrible was the precise word and that didn't stop her from becoming a veterinary nurse and as I said she loved it in many ways more mainly because she spent more time actually with the animals nursing them than she does being a vet treating them.
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 20:39 - Apr 3 with 690 viewsElderGrizzly

My wife is working on the system that will grade these. £5k gets you a 9 :)

Bitcoin payments to Grizz Towers.

You’ll be shocked to hear that Ofqual are in a complete mess over this too.
How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 20:56 - Apr 3 with 678 viewsSwansea_Blue

Seems reasonable, although undoubtedly some will have exceeded expectations and some failed to meet them. But what can you do? I’m glad they’re not basing it solely on mocks.

Next step is to sort out the proposed cap on Universities’ intake. With Russell Group Unis fearing a drop in overseas students, if they’re allowed to mop up more home students to compensate it will kill other decent universities.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 10:41 - Apr 4 with 561 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How GCSEs and A Levels are going to be awarded on 20:39 - Apr 3 by ElderGrizzly

My wife is working on the system that will grade these. £5k gets you a 9 :)

Bitcoin payments to Grizz Towers.

You’ll be shocked to hear that Ofqual are in a complete mess over this too.

Ofqual were dropped in it by all the Government promises without consulting them. However, the Government statements did look to reassure students (and possibly teachers to some degree) and, therefore I could understand them.

In the end, teachers are in a very good position to judge fairly accurately the final grade of the vast majority of students. The fact that students will have the opportunity to sit an exam in the autumn if they disagree is fair too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024