Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starmer and Rayner elected 11:57 - Apr 4 with 2995 viewstractordownsouth

The #Nandwagon may not have rolled in but I’m hopeful for the future of the Labour Party under Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner. I was initially hopeful of the previous leadership and they garnered a lot of enthusiasm within the party, however after a massive defeat (and 4 overall) we clearly needed a change in direction.

Now’s a time for national unity and we should aim to help the government’s handling of this crisis while asking the difficult questions about the lack of ventilators etc. Then, when the time comes, we really need to challenge the Tories on the social problems caused by the 10 years of austerity and articulate why Labour is a better alternative. When the country’s going through upheaval with the virus and Brexit, that will likely have to be a more moderate one - and I’d urge those on the left of the party to support it if they feel that they can - it’s either Labour who will form the government, or we’re stuck with the Tories. And whilst the membership are valuable, often our views aren’t representative of the wider electorate, whom we need to win power. Of course we must ask questions of Starmer if the time comes but for now he needs the backing.

We now have 4 years to develop a policy programme, reconnect and deliver - whatever the policies are, we can’t do that in opposition.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:14 - Apr 4 with 2243 viewsDarth_Koont

Starmer seems committed to the shift in policy so that's all good. The fact that he's less "sticky" in the inane world of party and media politics makes him the best of both worlds.

I wish him every bit of good luck and hope that he can support the pandemic response as you say. But also make something good out of it for how our country moves forward over the years to come. There's a massive amount to do to address inequality, health, education, housing etc. and we've barely scratched the surface with the environment.

Pronouns: He/Him

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:19 - Apr 4 with 2220 viewstractordownsouth

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:14 - Apr 4 by Darth_Koont

Starmer seems committed to the shift in policy so that's all good. The fact that he's less "sticky" in the inane world of party and media politics makes him the best of both worlds.

I wish him every bit of good luck and hope that he can support the pandemic response as you say. But also make something good out of it for how our country moves forward over the years to come. There's a massive amount to do to address inequality, health, education, housing etc. and we've barely scratched the surface with the environment.

Yep, I know we disagree on the scale of the anti-semitism stuff, but I believe we're both committed to getting rid of it and implementing a moderate progressive programme to end the damage that the Tories have done.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:28 - Apr 4 with 2192 viewsjonncfc

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:19 - Apr 4 by tractordownsouth

Yep, I know we disagree on the scale of the anti-semitism stuff, but I believe we're both committed to getting rid of it and implementing a moderate progressive programme to end the damage that the Tories have done.

He’s got his work cut out to dismantle the whole Momentum thing. That certainly won’t be easy. After all, look at the problems Kinnock had sorting out Militant.
Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:34 - Apr 4 with 2167 viewsDarth_Koont

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:19 - Apr 4 by tractordownsouth

Indeed.

Although "Moderate progressive" is a bit of an oxymoron. "Progressive" should be about reforming what needs reforming objectively. The "moderate progressive" fudge that Blair and the soft Tories made of that just didn't address the underlying structural problems.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:38 - Apr 4 with 2156 viewsDarth_Koont

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:28 - Apr 4 by jonncfc

He’s got his work cut out to dismantle the whole Momentum thing. That certainly won’t be easy. After all, look at the problems Kinnock had sorting out Militant.

Momentum and Militant are worlds apart both in politics and in purpose.

Momentum don't need dismantling, they need to be made central to the Labour party as its main electoral weapon: engaging with suporters and voters to get them out campaigning and voting.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:39 - Apr 4 with 2153 viewstractordownsouth

He has, but equally it only amounts to a small percentage of Labour members and RLB barely mustered a quarter of first preference votes. Their influence will be far less now, and some of them may even defect. I hope the more sensible ones stick around because I don't really want to become a party of purgers, but of course in some cases that will need to happen.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:44 - Apr 4 with 2134 viewslowhouseblue

the challenge of getting a labour government elected can only be compared to the challenge of getting ipswich into the premier league. but starmer has at least a credible shot at it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:44 - Apr 4 with 2042 viewsjonncfc

Starmer and Rayner elected on 12:44 - Apr 4 by lowhouseblue

the challenge of getting a labour government elected can only be compared to the challenge of getting ipswich into the premier league. but starmer has at least a credible shot at it.

@lowhouseblue

“The challenge of getting a labour government elected can only be compared to the challenge of getting ipswich into the premier league. but starmer has at least a credible shot at it.”

Probably just as well it wasn’t me that said that 😂
Login to get fewer ads

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:50 - Apr 4 with 2037 viewsRadlett_blue

Starmer is a credible alternative Prime Minister and there's a good chance of him turning Labour into a credible alternative government. That's a good thing for the country as a whole. I doubt that his high minded intentions to engage constructively with the government & not oppose purely for opposition's sake will be maintained long term, but you never know & there's certainly a chance that our politics becomes less divisive & we may be able to have more grown up debates about taxation & public services.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 14:08 - Apr 4 with 1985 viewsClapham_Junction

Starmer and Rayner elected on 13:50 - Apr 4 by Radlett_blue

Starmer is a credible alternative Prime Minister and there's a good chance of him turning Labour into a credible alternative government. That's a good thing for the country as a whole. I doubt that his high minded intentions to engage constructively with the government & not oppose purely for opposition's sake will be maintained long term, but you never know & there's certainly a chance that our politics becomes less divisive & we may be able to have more grown up debates about taxation & public services.

I don't think Labour were the barrier to having less divisive politics or a grown up debate during the last election campaign. If the Tories maintain their recent election strategy, these things won't be possible in the near future.
Starmer and Rayner elected on 14:54 - Apr 4 with 1913 viewsfactual_blue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 14:08 - Apr 4 by Clapham_Junction

I don't think Labour were the barrier to having less divisive politics or a grown up debate during the last election campaign. If the Tories maintain their recent election strategy, these things won't be possible in the near future.

They're continuing it at the moment, by keeping boris out of view.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:08 - Apr 4 with 1831 viewsBlueBadger

Starmer and Rayner elected on 14:54 - Apr 4 by factual_blue

Interesting that Boris is still 'self-isolating' but Matt Hancock isn't(and has come out of isolation a lot quicker than recommended as well).

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 17:10 - Apr 4 with 1777 viewsfactual_blue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 16:08 - Apr 4 by BlueBadger

Interesting that Boris is still 'self-isolating' but Matt Hancock isn't(and has come out of isolation a lot quicker than recommended as well).

It was amusing that when he was chairing the evening presser a journalist asked hancock by which criterion he'd qualified for a covid-19 test. At the precise moment he was about to answer, the BBC cut from the presser to the 6.00pm news.

You wouldn't get that sort of thing on TWTV.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Starmer and Rayner elected on 17:41 - Apr 4 with 1728 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Labour are done. Starmer is the most boring man I've ever had to listen to. An EU fanatic to boot, the working class voters in the North and Midlands will show him the door.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 18:04 - Apr 4 with 1689 viewstractordownsouth

Starmer and Rayner elected on 17:41 - Apr 4 by The_Last_Baron

Labour are done. Starmer is the most boring man I've ever had to listen to. An EU fanatic to boot, the working class voters in the North and Midlands will show him the door.

Predictable. I thought Brexit was ‘done’ anyway so why should it matter? Sure we have a lot of reconnecting to do but the idea that people who voted for Alexander Boris De Pfeffle Johnson will see Starmer as out of touch is pie in the sky.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 18:55 - Apr 4 with 1646 viewsGlasgowBlue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 14:54 - Apr 4 by factual_blue

With Boris Johnson's pregnant partner now showing the symptoms of Covid-19, perhaps you may want to reign in the digs about him being kept in hiding?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Starmer and Rayner elected on 18:58 - Apr 4 with 1646 viewsEnigma_Blue

It's a bit like winning a first class ticket for the Titanic.
Can Starmer rescue the sinking ship that is the Labour party & turn them into credible opposition? Let's hope so.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2020 18:58]
Starmer and Rayner elected on 22:06 - Apr 4 with 1546 viewsxrayspecs

Kier is a good shout for Labour, provided he can control their excessive and self-destructive tendencies. He has a strong mandate for reform with around 60% of the vote in this election, so that should help. If he can manage his party, then he will be a genuine challenge to Boris at the despatch box, much more than previous Labour leaders. He is somewhere between Blair and Corbyn which feels like Labour's natural ground. Not sure if this is enough to get Labour into power mind.

On a personal level, we used to play football against each other in London a good few years ago, he was captain of a friendly Sunday league team based in Homerton. Having also managed the last person to take on JC in a Labour election, my ties to the labour party are not what I thought they would ever be.
Starmer and Rayner elected on 22:14 - Apr 4 with 1531 viewsBlueForYou

Starmer and Rayner elected on 18:58 - Apr 4 by Enigma_Blue

It's a bit like winning a first class ticket for the Titanic.
Can Starmer rescue the sinking ship that is the Labour party & turn them into credible opposition? Let's hope so.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2020 18:58]

If he wants votes then he has to throw out Momentum, if he wants left wing credibility then they stay. He seems decent enough but he’s a EU supporter. Labour aren’t winning the next Election.
Starmer and Rayner elected on 22:28 - Apr 4 with 1511 viewsEwan_Oozami

Starmer and Rayner elected on 22:14 - Apr 4 by BlueForYou

If he wants votes then he has to throw out Momentum, if he wants left wing credibility then they stay. He seems decent enough but he’s a EU supporter. Labour aren’t winning the next Election.

Starmer has already said that he won't be campaigning on a Rejoin platform in the next GE - unless (and this is my view) he sees it as a major vote winner, which I suspect is unlikely to be honest...

Momentum will be better off campaigning for PR rather than fighting the leadership, if they get Labour to promise that, then they have the choice to either form their own party or stay in Labour - which is highly ironic!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Starmer and Rayner elected on 07:50 - Apr 5 with 1404 viewsElephantintheRoom

OK so the only sensible decision has finally been made.... months too late... years perhaps...if only there was a competent opposition when Posh Boy and Theresa May made the headlong charge to self destruction.

But why is this a time for 'national unity'? The running down of the country's resources by a dangerously incompetent Tory government over a twelve year is a national scandal that has been exposed in the cruellest manner possible.

Its one thing to destroy your railway system for short term cost benefits, before wishing a few decades later that you hadn't.... quite another to run down the NHS on the alter of tax cuts, destroy care in the community, ignore the reality of dementia as a disease, distort employment figures behind a misleading mask of zero hours contracts wreck the weflare state, run down the police to a level where they cannot function...let alone wonder why a government who knew the country couldnt cope with this pandemic thanks to their own cuts chose to sit on their thumbs until it was too late.

It IS a time for national unity.... but only to unite behind a government who are honest enough to admit the mistake of the past and build up the welfare state again... and that means taxes. The tories will have to massively raise taxes anyway... but their priority will be to rebuild party doners businesses and further benefit foreign 'investors' like the dubious owners of the Excel, now earning tens of millions from UK tax payers by renting a feel goos PR exercise that deflects from shameful incompetence.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:45 - Apr 5 with 1340 viewsRadlett_blue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 07:50 - Apr 5 by ElephantintheRoom

OK so the only sensible decision has finally been made.... months too late... years perhaps...if only there was a competent opposition when Posh Boy and Theresa May made the headlong charge to self destruction.

But why is this a time for 'national unity'? The running down of the country's resources by a dangerously incompetent Tory government over a twelve year is a national scandal that has been exposed in the cruellest manner possible.

Its one thing to destroy your railway system for short term cost benefits, before wishing a few decades later that you hadn't.... quite another to run down the NHS on the alter of tax cuts, destroy care in the community, ignore the reality of dementia as a disease, distort employment figures behind a misleading mask of zero hours contracts wreck the weflare state, run down the police to a level where they cannot function...let alone wonder why a government who knew the country couldnt cope with this pandemic thanks to their own cuts chose to sit on their thumbs until it was too late.

It IS a time for national unity.... but only to unite behind a government who are honest enough to admit the mistake of the past and build up the welfare state again... and that means taxes. The tories will have to massively raise taxes anyway... but their priority will be to rebuild party doners businesses and further benefit foreign 'investors' like the dubious owners of the Excel, now earning tens of millions from UK tax payers by renting a feel goos PR exercise that deflects from shameful incompetence.

"a time for national unity" - as long as everyone agrees with your views!

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:58 - Apr 5 with 1328 viewsGlasgowBlue

When you see the likes of Jackie Walker go into meltdown then you know Labour have made the right choice.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:11 - Apr 5 with 1315 viewsRadlett_blue

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:58 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

When you see the likes of Jackie Walker go into meltdown then you know Labour have made the right choice.

Depends if Labour wants to be a protest party or a party of government.

Starmer and Rayner elected on 10:14 - Apr 5 with 1309 viewsHerbivore

Starmer and Rayner elected on 09:58 - Apr 5 by GlasgowBlue

The fact she lumps Keir Starmer in with Boris Johnson shows a staggering level of ignorance. Keir is from a working class background and was fortunate and hard working enough to make something of himself. The likes of Johnson are from money and will be monied regardless of how inept they are.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024