Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That was a superb speech by Her Maj 20:44 - Apr 5 with 1275 viewsRyorry

Clever & subtle, appealing to peoples' better natures. Why we must stick to the monarchy for now at least. We haven't had anyone else with that kind of wisdom, experience, understanding, reliability or constancy for about 70 years.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:23 - Apr 5 with 1182 viewsjeera

Her, we need to stick by her yes.

I maintain the lady's done her bit and deserves to be respected to the last.

Then the monarchy should die with her.

But, yes, I watched it out of respect for the old girl. As you say, dignified as ever.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:33 - Apr 5 with 1127 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There is a good argument for her as she gives a different voice to the political one even if the words are given from the politicians. However, I am uncertain how well her successor will come across when the time comes.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:40 - Apr 5 with 1105 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Utmost respect for Her Maj.
A wise woman and great ambassodor for our nation.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:43 - Apr 5 with 1084 viewsSwansea_Blue

The problem is that too many people don’t have better natures. Thankfully they remain in the minority.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:45 - Apr 5 with 1068 viewsBloomBlue

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:33 - Apr 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is a good argument for her as she gives a different voice to the political one even if the words are given from the politicians. However, I am uncertain how well her successor will come across when the time comes.

I'm actually convinced her speeches are her own words. Not saying others dont review, check, approve but given the number of speeches she's given in her life probably hard to find a more experienced person than her.

I thought the speech was great, she could have gone for the easy option and just thanked the NHS, key wotkers etc, could have used the I know how you're feeling as my Son was ill with it but don't.
That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:51 - Apr 5 with 1033 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:45 - Apr 5 by BloomBlue

I'm actually convinced her speeches are her own words. Not saying others dont review, check, approve but given the number of speeches she's given in her life probably hard to find a more experienced person than her.

I thought the speech was great, she could have gone for the easy option and just thanked the NHS, key wotkers etc, could have used the I know how you're feeling as my Son was ill with it but don't.

I think they are written by advisers and presented in her own way - an awful lot to say for her delivery. It is very important. How much the advisers are political advisers too and how much she is directed on things to say and vetted by the Government who knows?

I think part of her wisdom is that she works very much in conjunction with the government. There are many little things that suggest she is passionately pro-EU but she has never said anything to directly contradict the Government's position. I am not sure her successor will have learned the same reserve.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:52 - Apr 5 with 1037 viewsPinewoodblue

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:43 - Apr 5 by Swansea_Blue

The problem is that too many people don’t have better natures. Thankfully they remain in the minority.

You mean the ones who think they are above the law, or it is OK to bend it if it suits them.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 22:54 - Apr 5 with 949 viewsChurchman

I heard it was mostly her words with input from others including HMG.

I’ve never been in favour of the monarchy and like others I think it should end with her, but it was a very good speech and will do no harm at all.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 7:22]
Login to get fewer ads

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 23:00 - Apr 5 with 937 viewsfactual_blue

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 21:52 - Apr 5 by Pinewoodblue

You mean the ones who think they are above the law, or it is OK to bend it if it suits them.

See also 'speeding' and 'cyclists at traffic lights'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 23:34 - Apr 5 with 888 viewsDebsyAngel

I thought it was a great speech too. What she said was thoughtful, respectful to the hard workers doing all they can, and was very sincere. Well done Ma'am.
That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 23:36 - Apr 5 with 882 viewsRyorry

Totally agree. There's no politician or civil servant who could or would have come up with:-

"I hope in the years to come everyone will be able to take pride in how they responded to this challenge. And those who come after us will say the Britons of this generation were as strong as any. That the attributes of self-discipline, of quiet good-humored resolve and of fellow-feeling still characterize this country. The pride in who we are is not a part of our past, it defines our present and our future."

- or they would have done so by now. Those words are incredibly astute, esp the first sentence, and uniquely her voice.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 23:49 - Apr 5 with 855 viewsDarth_Koont

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 23:36 - Apr 5 by Ryorry

Totally agree. There's no politician or civil servant who could or would have come up with:-

"I hope in the years to come everyone will be able to take pride in how they responded to this challenge. And those who come after us will say the Britons of this generation were as strong as any. That the attributes of self-discipline, of quiet good-humored resolve and of fellow-feeling still characterize this country. The pride in who we are is not a part of our past, it defines our present and our future."

- or they would have done so by now. Those words are incredibly astute, esp the first sentence, and uniquely her voice.

To be fair, only an honorary head of state could come out with that, and in that form.

It's to our politicians discredit that they've spoken like that when they want to gloss over the facts and avoid the detail.

But coming from a more abstract "leader" then it's the bit that she should concentrate on.

Pronouns: He/Him

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 08:34 - Apr 6 with 657 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yep. We will miss her wise words and guidance when she’s gone.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

That was a superb speech by Her Maj on 08:50 - Apr 6 with 635 viewsGeoffSentence

Needs to work on her delivery.

Sure she will get there with a bit more experience.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 8:54]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024