Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
article discussing whether school closures are helpful 09:18 - Apr 7 with 1183 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52180783

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:42 - Apr 7 with 1144 viewsStokieBlue

But how can that be?

We were told by some posters that this was all very obvious stuff and that experts mostly agree and we should do it because other countries did it and the government were useless and negligent.

Maybe things aren't quite as simplistic as some would want to believe and it's a fluid and constantly moving situation as more and more information becomes available and constantly criticising every microscopic element of the response isn't actually that helpful.....

SB
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 9:51]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:47 - Apr 7 with 1129 viewsgiant_stow

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:42 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

But how can that be?

We were told by some posters that this was all very obvious stuff and that experts mostly agree and we should do it because other countries did it and the government were useless and negligent.

Maybe things aren't quite as simplistic as some would want to believe and it's a fluid and constantly moving situation as more and more information becomes available and constantly criticising every microscopic element of the response isn't actually that helpful.....

SB

Personally, id send my boy back if they reopened tomorrow. Being a single child, the lack of school is doing damage to his mental health i think.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:58 - Apr 7 with 1105 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

It also says that if schools were to re-open, social distancing would have to continue and children observe the 2m away rule...

I have 31 children in my class in a room that can fit possibly 8 people at the correct safe distance at a push. Think we're a while away from schools reopening, as much as I can't wait for us to be back.

Return after May half term is my prediction (based on nothing more than optimistic hope).
article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:03 - Apr 7 with 1079 viewssparks

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:58 - Apr 7 by DropCliffsNotBombs

It also says that if schools were to re-open, social distancing would have to continue and children observe the 2m away rule...

I have 31 children in my class in a room that can fit possibly 8 people at the correct safe distance at a push. Think we're a while away from schools reopening, as much as I can't wait for us to be back.

Return after May half term is my prediction (based on nothing more than optimistic hope).

vast majority of schools have no prosepct at all of social distancing. Pie in the sky.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:17 - Apr 7 with 1044 viewsWeWereZombies

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:58 - Apr 7 by DropCliffsNotBombs

That's a very useful post. Are you aware of how schools are coping in Sweden and the Netherlands where a less exhaustive set of measures have been applied?

[edit] a couple of links for that:

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/childcare-for-children-of-

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-liberal-virus-strategy-questioned-
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 10:21]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:25 - Apr 7 with 1025 viewsStokieBlue

The BBC say that, the experts don't mention it in the article, they say:

"There's a whole range of things that schools could do to reopen in a way that involves social distancing at schools but keeps schools open."

It would seem likely that social distancing would need to be applied though so you are right in that.

It would be useful if they expanded on this. Sparks is however right that children are highly unlikely to adhere regardless.

Once again though, it highlights there is no consensus opinion and things aren't a clear-cut as is often being made out.

SB

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:36 - Apr 7 with 1004 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

You're completely right, SB, in that it's incredibly complex and we're almost changing daily.

I've ended up setting up a youtube channel for my class and filming inputs for lessons and then kids/parents emailing questions, work etc and then can help them individually as required. It's crap, but the best we can do (small primary school so very limited technology).

I hope we get clarity soon as we, and I hope the vast majority of teachers, are desperate to get back teaching properly as soon as possible.

On that note, if any of you have Primary aged kids (esp year 5/6) and want any pointers, feel free to message.
article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:46 - Apr 7 with 993 viewssparks

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:36 - Apr 7 by DropCliffsNotBombs

You're completely right, SB, in that it's incredibly complex and we're almost changing daily.

I've ended up setting up a youtube channel for my class and filming inputs for lessons and then kids/parents emailing questions, work etc and then can help them individually as required. It's crap, but the best we can do (small primary school so very limited technology).

I hope we get clarity soon as we, and I hope the vast majority of teachers, are desperate to get back teaching properly as soon as possible.

On that note, if any of you have Primary aged kids (esp year 5/6) and want any pointers, feel free to message.

I have to say that my daughter's teachers are seemingly having a pretty relaxed time. She is at primary school and I am not really concerned for any lasting impact on her development. However, she seems to get about 45 minutes work 3 times a week. No marking or feedback- just a task to do.

My son has more- mainly written instructions on a portal.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:46 - Apr 7 with 992 viewsStokieBlue

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:36 - Apr 7 by DropCliffsNotBombs

That sounds excellent and is more than a lot of schools are doing in that age group.

Google Classroom is being used quite a lot as well.

SB

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 11:23 - Apr 7 with 928 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:46 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

That sounds excellent and is more than a lot of schools are doing in that age group.

Google Classroom is being used quite a lot as well.

SB

Thanks - feedback from parents has been that the kids have liked it as has been more personal and made them feel more part of a group rather than a random worksheet sent out.

Setting 'taskmaster' challenges and getting them to email in their results which I then shared has been great. Need to think of a few more to send out over the next couple of weeks.
article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 11:23 - Apr 7 with 926 viewshampstead_blue

Not helpful for nookie!

Can't wait for him to go back.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 11:24 - Apr 7 with 924 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 10:46 - Apr 7 by sparks

I have to say that my daughter's teachers are seemingly having a pretty relaxed time. She is at primary school and I am not really concerned for any lasting impact on her development. However, she seems to get about 45 minutes work 3 times a week. No marking or feedback- just a task to do.

My son has more- mainly written instructions on a portal.

Doesn't sound particularly great.

Won't lie - I've got my laptop out in the garden enjoying the sun so there's been more taxing days at work...
article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 14:48 - Apr 7 with 837 viewsEireannach_gorm

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 09:42 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

But how can that be?

SB

You are quite correct regarding the complexity of the problem and the different interpretation of data by experts. This article shows that the experts are not sure of the right course of action.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/04/1586015208000/Imperial-s-Neil-Ferguson---

There is no silver bullet for this.
article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 17:57 - Apr 7 with 799 viewsMullet

I do think the media is being a bit reckless/misleading in some respects. Maybe not intentionally, maybe they are scrabbling for content but the lancet here is seemingly a more thorough and better rounded appraisal.

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2352-4642%2820%2930095-X

All the things we know/feared seem true, from the suffering of the most vulnerable, loss of free school meals and other such provision. Likewise the selfishness/ignorance of people gets some treatment. However, it seems to be the economic slowdown and impact that drives the calls to going back.

Like you I'm doing everything I can and am itching to get back, but the practicalities are just ludicrous to consider. Once again schools are being seen as both essential and a place to take out frustrations for too many it seems.

There was always going to be a dripfeed of "it'll be over soon" countered with the calls to get kids back in, so parents can follow but likewise there needs to be some sort of decisiveness and clarity from the government as to how we manage, not just for some but all kids and all institutions first.

The day after Johnson goes into intensive care days after admitting to flouting his own guidance isn't the best time in my opinion .

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 18:43 - Apr 7 with 788 viewseireblue

article discussing whether school closures are helpful on 14:48 - Apr 7 by Eireannach_gorm

You are quite correct regarding the complexity of the problem and the different interpretation of data by experts. This article shows that the experts are not sure of the right course of action.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/04/1586015208000/Imperial-s-Neil-Ferguson---

There is no silver bullet for this.

And that leads to politicians making decisions.

I think that article illustrates this.

Scientists are giving ranges, politicians need to be clear about what they are deciding to do, and based on what criteria.

The line that some politicians are using, “we are following scientific advice”, is not really the case.

Scientific data, plus other considerations are informing decisions.

A bugbear I have at the moment is the 100,000 test target.

Well targets are nice, but what can you actually produce given the level of knowledge you have today, and what does that mean for planning.

ITFC had a target to get automatically promoted.....

Okay, got that one out of the system now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024