Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice please - tenancy / letting agent 12:23 - Apr 7 with 788 viewsuefacup81

Hi all

I’m just after a bit of advice as I know a few of you are fairly knowledgable in this field.

I split up with my other half about a month ago, and handed in my notice on our joint tenancy of our shared property. She decided to stay on as a sole tenant.

All notices were served properly and accepted, so I can’t see any issues there. I emailed the agent yesterday to ask about the process for handing back my keys and getting back my half of the deposit, and got the following (abridged) response:

”We are currently unable to carry out an inspection of the property until restrictions are lifted. We are also not in a position at the moment to grant a new sole tenancy to X, so the current tenancy will remain in force and the full deposit will remain covered by the TDS.

Maybe one option would be for X to reimburse your half of the deposit direct to you.”

Personally I’m not buying any of the above. As mentioned, the notice was served correctly and accepted, so surely any involvement I have with the property should come to an end at 2359hrs on 12th April. Their inability (for whatever reason) to grant a sole tenancy to my ex is, surely, of no concern to me and my interest in the property?

If that is the case, then surely TDS rules apply for the return of the deposit, and it should either be returned or challenged within 30 days of the tenancy coming to an end?

Although getting the deposit back would be useful, I’m concerned that their seeming refusal to end the tenancy at the agreed date may leave me liable for any issues/arrears that the ex goes on to cause / run up?

Thoughts please?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 12:29 - Apr 7 with 749 viewsjeera

I don't think normal rules apply atm to be fair.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 12:47 - Apr 7 with 701 viewshampstead_blue

Have a chat with Shelter. I know they are good at these things as we send veterans to them for specific tenancy matters

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 12:48 - Apr 7 with 705 viewsRyorry

When even legitimate evictions have been paused becaise of the Covid_19 situation, I think you can take it as read that everything's on hold atm I'm afraid.

Internal inspections are an essential part of the returning of bond under TDS, & clearly can't be carried out until the lockdown restrictions are lifted, at the earliest.

Keep a careful log of the outgoings as best you can, just in case.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 12:48 - Apr 7 with 700 viewssparks

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 12:29 - Apr 7 by jeera

I don't think normal rules apply atm to be fair.

Whilst I agree that things are up in the air, if the tenancy was terminated then things should proceed in the normal way. An inspection is clearly problematic- but setting up a new tenancy with the sole occupier is a paper exercise easily done.

Perhaps give TDS a call, if they are open.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 15:24 - Apr 7 with 581 viewsjeera

Advice please - tenancy / letting agent on 12:48 - Apr 7 by sparks

Whilst I agree that things are up in the air, if the tenancy was terminated then things should proceed in the normal way. An inspection is clearly problematic- but setting up a new tenancy with the sole occupier is a paper exercise easily done.

Perhaps give TDS a call, if they are open.

No, this is true and I was being too flippant.

I wouldn't like that situation myself.

I wonder if putting together a set of photos showing whatever they have on their tick list, dating and emailing to them might be sufficient if someone cannot come out in person.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024