Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just taken delivery of a crokinole board 13:32 - Apr 7 with 1142 viewssparks

Hopefully it will provide a few evenings of family fun over the coming weeks. Which is much needed.

I am a little worried about my son- who has barely cracked a smile in 3 days and seems to be feeling pretty low. He'd rather be on the computer, but we have excluded that option for a day or two for fear that it is making things worse.

Family games night (every night) with a running scoreboard has been a decent meeting place for us all at the end of the day- but with two parents trying to work at home, it has clearly been a bit lonely for the kids.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:35 - Apr 7 with 1129 viewsitfcjoe

Is he able to get out and do any exercise - to go for a run on his own? (Sorry I don't know age we are talking about here)

If he is, or a bike ride, then may be able to start looking to improve on that, start some Strava segments up with his mates to challenge each other?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:36 - Apr 7 with 1121 viewssparks

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:35 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

Is he able to get out and do any exercise - to go for a run on his own? (Sorry I don't know age we are talking about here)

If he is, or a bike ride, then may be able to start looking to improve on that, start some Strava segments up with his mates to challenge each other?

hes 12. Went for a bike ride yesterday and am going to suggest he does so again. or comes on a night time walk with me later.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:36 - Apr 7 with 1112 viewsKeno

Whats a crokinole board?

How old is the lad?

Just a thought but can you and Mrs Sparks work in "shifts" so new of you can spent some time with the kids even if it just a couple of hours?

Im fortunate my kids are 'grown-up' as I'm not I would sure I've have found working at home with them very easy
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 13:42]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:41 - Apr 7 with 1087 viewsSWGF

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:36 - Apr 7 by sparks

hes 12. Went for a bike ride yesterday and am going to suggest he does so again. or comes on a night time walk with me later.

SWGF Jnr is 12 as well. He's out in the garden every day, but is missing his team sports and team-mates. Football is just finishing obviously but he's going to miss out on a summer of cricket/sailing/bumming around on bikes at this rate.

I'm taking him and Miss SWGF to the local Rec most days (luckily it's 100yds away) and they just run around like loons, catch balls, kick balls, let off some steam. A bit of fresh air and a breeze in your face does wonders.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:44 - Apr 7 with 1077 viewssparks

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:41 - Apr 7 by SWGF

SWGF Jnr is 12 as well. He's out in the garden every day, but is missing his team sports and team-mates. Football is just finishing obviously but he's going to miss out on a summer of cricket/sailing/bumming around on bikes at this rate.

I'm taking him and Miss SWGF to the local Rec most days (luckily it's 100yds away) and they just run around like loons, catch balls, kick balls, let off some steam. A bit of fresh air and a breeze in your face does wonders.

My lad isnt very keen on mucking about in the garden. Gets bored and would rather be in front of a screen. I fear we have left them to their own devices more than is ideal so far. Tricky though.

[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 13:44]

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:48 - Apr 7 with 1052 viewsBrixtonBlue

I have no idea how parents working at home are supposed to teach/entertain their kids at the same time. I doff my imaginary cap to you all.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:54 - Apr 7 with 1029 viewsAlan_Handsome

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:36 - Apr 7 by sparks

Have you thought about taking a decent torch? Sounds silly, but it's amazing what you see with a decent torch on a nightime walk, it's like you're teh privlidged one with teh ability to see things that no one else can. (not that i do this, but if it's strong you can also pretend it's a light sabre)

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:10 - Apr 7 with 1003 viewsSWGF

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:44 - Apr 7 by sparks

My lad isnt very keen on mucking about in the garden. Gets bored and would rather be in front of a screen. I fear we have left them to their own devices more than is ideal so far. Tricky though.

[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 13:44]

There's no right or wrong.

It's just an alien concept for everyone. I'm mindful to let them do what they want, to a certain extent. But, as you are, playing the board games to the max!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:11 - Apr 7 with 998 viewsGeoffSentence

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 13:54 - Apr 7 by Alan_Handsome

Have you thought about taking a decent torch? Sounds silly, but it's amazing what you see with a decent torch on a nightime walk, it's like you're teh privlidged one with teh ability to see things that no one else can. (not that i do this, but if it's strong you can also pretend it's a light sabre)

I take exactly the opposite view on torches. Dont take one. Its amazing what you see when you let your eyes get used to the dark.Like a superpower.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:26 - Apr 7 with 949 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is he a reader? We still have some work from school that our one (a little younger) is still working through. Maybe have some things he does to earn a certain amount of time on the computer games? Can he Zoom some friends or family at all with you as well?

Looking after them in the day while you are working is tricky. Without wanting to be rude, though, you find time to go on here!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:36 - Apr 7 with 934 viewssparks

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:26 - Apr 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is he a reader? We still have some work from school that our one (a little younger) is still working through. Maybe have some things he does to earn a certain amount of time on the computer games? Can he Zoom some friends or family at all with you as well?

Looking after them in the day while you are working is tricky. Without wanting to be rude, though, you find time to go on here!

Im not on here much- just odd messages between calls etc.

He is in contact with friends etc.

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:37 - Apr 7 with 934 viewsvapour_trail

Yeah we are struggling a bit, both flat out with work despite the missus taking a 10% pay cut yesterday, and a 12 and 9 year old getting pretty insufficient attention.

Have put a tent up in the back garden this lunch which has increased the appeal of being out of the house.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:58 - Apr 7 with 895 viewsAlan_Handsome

Just taken delivery of a crokinole board on 14:11 - Apr 7 by GeoffSentence

I take exactly the opposite view on torches. Dont take one. Its amazing what you see when you let your eyes get used to the dark.Like a superpower.

If you can see a badger slinking alomng a hedgerow in pitch black from 50 yards, hats off to you sir, you must have access to better carrots than me.

I always like to drive with no lights on, i find i see a lot more of the cars when my eyes aclimatise ;-)

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024