Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
learning French 22:44 - Apr 7 with 1513 viewssparks

Cliche during lockdown I know.

But what is my best bet for achieving solid conversational french for summer 21? More than plodding GCSE stuff. But recognising the massive practical gaps that such courses create...

I'm aware of duolingo Rosetta stone etc as well as various podcasts. Probably something visual and online suits best. Anyone had real success with one of these?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

learning French on 22:58 - Apr 7 with 1479 viewsjeera

Do take a look at Laura Lawless. She used to run the French and Spanish stuff on About.com and then set up on her own.

The site can be used for free with 10 free 'quizzes' permitted per month, so you can get a taste for the site's style without paying out.

https://www.lawlessfrench.com/

If it suits then you can become a patreon if you wish, or walk away or continue to use the free facilities. Worth a look at least.

I have used Duo but it has its limitations. However, also not to be dismissed and I have used it alongside what used to be about.com for the more technical stuff, and now Lawless.

Duo can be a fun but often frustrating site. Not very forgiving on typos which drives you mad because sometimes you know the answer inside out but are too tired or lazy to be a pedant. It will punish you unnecessarily.

I would also suggest a good book or 2 and maybe a CD for when you get a chance.

CDs: Micheal Thomas is annoying and a bit difficult by nature, but his no nonsense approach did teach me several sentences in a very short space of time.

Think of maybe you, teaching a language; little patience, a bit irritating, but overall well-meaning and good at your job.

I mean in a complimentary way.

Edit: Personal suggestions include using a sticky labels pad to place on objects around the home.

I've done this in the past and it's a really useful way to drum in some basic everyday nouns.

I also pinned lists of verb conjugations in areas I used regularly.

Maybe bathroom related stuff in the bathroom, kitchen related things in the kitchen...

[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:06]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

learning French on 23:09 - Apr 7 with 1465 viewseireblue

I tried this a while back. For a very short time, and after a few brief sentences, a couple of people thought I was a native French speaker.

https://www.michelthomas.com/learn-french/

Unfortunately that meant they responded in French, which shouldn’t have surprised me, but I quickly realised I forgot the bit about learning to listen in French.
learning French on 23:10 - Apr 7 with 1459 viewsjeera

learning French on 23:09 - Apr 7 by eireblue

I tried this a while back. For a very short time, and after a few brief sentences, a couple of people thought I was a native French speaker.

Unfortunately that meant they responded in French, which shouldn’t have surprised me, but I quickly realised I forgot the bit about learning to listen in French.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned him.

I mean, you'd think they would wouldn't you?

You'd think!

learning French on 23:15 - Apr 7 with 1445 viewseireblue

learning French on 23:10 - Apr 7 by jeera

You'd think!

Mais oui, je suis aussi très surpris.
learning French on 23:18 - Apr 7 with 1443 viewssparks

learning French on 23:10 - Apr 7 by jeera

You'd think!

I'll look. I have no difficulty at all remembering nouns. My issue is putting phrases together on the fly. My uncle is a renowned expert in listening in the context of learning languages. But I have not spoken with him for 20 years... should probably make contact!!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

learning French on 23:29 - Apr 7 with 1417 viewsjeera

learning French on 23:18 - Apr 7 by sparks

I'll look. I have no difficulty at all remembering nouns. My issue is putting phrases together on the fly. My uncle is a renowned expert in listening in the context of learning languages. But I have not spoken with him for 20 years... should probably make contact!!

Luckily for us, French syntax and grammar bears feck all resemblance to ours a lot of the time.

And their rules have extra rules and often the rules they have don't follow any pattern that we, or even they, recognize.

Have fun.

learning French on 23:33 - Apr 7 with 1402 viewsjeera

learning French on 23:15 - Apr 7 by eireblue

Mais oui, je suis aussi très surpris.

Bien sur, mon ami, pas 'mais oui'.

learning French on 23:43 - Apr 7 with 1387 viewssparks

learning French on 23:33 - Apr 7 by jeera

My main recollection of GCSE French was est que tu voudrais mon truncheon d'amour entre vote jambes. I was the clever one able to cobble the phrase together. A friend got suspended for putting the proposition to the young french assistant.

Login to get fewer ads

learning French on 23:45 - Apr 7 with 1384 viewsjeera

learning French on 23:43 - Apr 7 by sparks

My main recollection of GCSE French was est que tu voudrais mon truncheon d'amour entre vote jambes. I was the clever one able to cobble the phrase together. A friend got suspended for putting the proposition to the young french assistant.

Yes, I think that would probably about do that.

Edit: although they tend to like the longer winded "Est-ce que c'est ça".
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:46]

learning French on 01:44 - Apr 8 with 1337 viewsIllinoisblue

Je voudrais deux bierre sil vous plait

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

learning French on 03:13 - Apr 8 with 1322 viewsBasingstokeBlue

learning French on 01:44 - Apr 8 by Illinoisblue

...et mon ami paiera.

(Always learn the complete phrase!)

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

learning French on 09:15 - Apr 8 with 1230 viewsEdwardStone

learning French on 01:44 - Apr 8 by Illinoisblue

Exactly this

Future conditional tense...."I would like"

Probably the most useful cuppla words; commit them to memory, they never fail
learning French on 09:25 - Apr 8 with 1216 viewseireblue

learning French on 23:33 - Apr 7 by jeera

Nope, sorry didn’t get any of that, can you speak a bit slower and ....errr......in English, please.
learning French on 09:26 - Apr 8 with 1214 viewsnoggin

learning French on 23:09 - Apr 7 by eireblue

This, especially when it's group chat, rather than face to face. I did a year at school to learn Norwegian, which helped, but I found that joining in conversations, while making embarrassing mistakes, was the only way to learn.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

learning French on 09:59 - Apr 8 with 1177 viewsITFC_Forever

Watch some old Allo Allo episodes - especially the policeman.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

learning French on 10:03 - Apr 8 with 1173 viewsnoggin

learning French on 09:59 - Apr 8 by ITFC_Forever

Watch some old Allo Allo episodes - especially the policeman.

That made me laugh.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

learning French on 10:18 - Apr 8 with 1160 viewsElephantintheRoom

'Allo, 'Allo?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

learning French on 10:19 - Apr 8 with 1160 viewsKeno

have you looked at Duolingo

https://www.duolingo.com

Its a fairly basic starting point which Ive used for 'holiday Spanish' and am about 80 days into Italian

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

learning French on 12:18 - Apr 8 with 1123 viewsandytown

learning French on 10:19 - Apr 8 by Keno

have you looked at Duolingo

https://www.duolingo.com

Its a fairly basic starting point which Ive used for 'holiday Spanish' and am about 80 days into Italian

Don’t know how much vocab you know already but listening to French radio news I found useful years ago, you can pick up the gist as you know what’s going on generally from the radio/tv here
learning French on 12:55 - Apr 8 with 1091 viewssparks

learning French on 12:18 - Apr 8 by andytown

Don’t know how much vocab you know already but listening to French radio news I found useful years ago, you can pick up the gist as you know what’s going on generally from the radio/tv here

I have an A in GCSE french and a good memory. It was some time ago, however...

learning French on 12:56 - Apr 8 with 1090 viewseireblue

learning French on 10:03 - Apr 8 by noggin

That made me laugh.

I had a French teacher that genuinely recommended, when stuck, just talk English with a French accent.
learning French on 15:07 - Apr 8 with 1038 viewsnodge_blue

I thought Duolingo was really good

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

learning French on 16:00 - Apr 8 with 1006 viewsThisIsMyUsername

C'est une bonne décision.

Je te conseille de la lecture, d'écouter à la musique française, de regarder des émissions françaises.

Il y a beaucoup de chaînes pour l’apprentissage de français sur YouTube. Si tu es tout au début je te conseille ‘Super Easy French’. Si ton niveau de français est déjà un peu plus élevé que ça, ‘Easy French’:

Des chansons accrocheuses qui font penser au bord de la mer dans le sud de la France en été:

Des sites internets où on peut lire des actualités:

https://www.france24.com/fr/

France24 offre également un ‘live stream’ sur YouTube:

Bonne chance! Que tu parles français comme un français très bientôt.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024